If I upgrade from Mint 10 (Gnome 2) to Mint 12 (Gnome 3)...?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

If I upgrade from Mint 10 (Gnome 2) to Mint 12 (Gnome 3)...?

Post by wyldekey »

I am now using Mint 10 and everything is wonderful. However, I am really curious to try the Mintified version of Gnome 3 in Lisa. It looks pretty neat!
My question is; I have /home on a separate partition to make it easier to install a new version of Linux Mint. But if I don't format /home and install Mint 12, won't that screw things up because Gnome 3 is incompatible with Gnome 2.3 ?
What is the best way I can reinstall Mint without having to wipe all my data from the /home partition and re-copy everything from the external backup?
Or.. maybe I could use Remastersys to archive and copy everything to the external drive. That may be quicker, but I'm a little nervous because I've never used Remastersys. Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
We're inevitably imprisoned by what we believe.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: If I upgrade from Mint 10 (Gnome 2) to Mint 12 (Gnome 3)

Post by xenopeek »

How small is your harddisk? Once Mint 12 hits RC, I'll install it alongside my current Mint 11 installation. If the final release of Mint 12 works for me, I'll copy any files over from the old Mint 11 /home. Once Mint 13 arrives, I'll overwrite the Mint 11 installation. In the mean time, should I bork my Mint 12 installation--I still have the old Mint 11 working :wink:
wyldekey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wyldekey »

Nice idea! My HD is 2 TB, so installing Mint 12 alongside Mint 10 would be no problem.
Thanks.
We're inevitably imprisoned by what we believe.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

"Rotating" installs as Vincent points out are a very good safeguard. I do that on a few machines.

Also, if you want a readily recoverable external copy of your install and/or your /home (in addition to file backups); create a Clonezilla CD and use it to create some backups. They take no time at all and have only one real rule to follow; the partition that you restore to must be the same size or larger than the one you backed up from.

cheers,
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
itlarson

Post by itlarson »

If your only concern is conflicting configuration info between Gnome 2 and 3, you can always just copy all your configuration files and directories into a newly created directory. After the install you can then copy back just the settings you need, (such as .mozilla if you use firefox). Most of the time I leave the configuration files in place, though, and it rarely creates issues. In fact, I just installed Mint 10 KDE in place of Mint 11, just for kicks. I left all the configuration files in place, and had no problems.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”