Update model for LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kinu
Level 1
Level 1

Update model for LMDE

Post by kinu »

Hi,

I was a happy Linux Mint user, until I found Arch Linux and fall in love with it. I've followed LMDE and his rolling release update model, and I've saw that now you have "update packs". And here comes my question: ¿Are you in a Chakra-like update model, or heading to it?

From Chakra Project site:
Chakra has evolved a novel "semi-rolling" release system. The core system has regular releases, roughly every six months but avoiding the fixed schedules that guarantee a buggy system. The desktop and the applications are upgraded as new releases become available...
I think this is a really great way to do it, but I prefer Gnome 2, XFCE (using it now) or what I think that will be my next desktop, your MGSE, over KDE.

And just to talk for the sake of it, the perfection for me would be an Arch Linux based Linux Mint with the update model from Chakra Linux.

kInU
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Update model for LMDE

Post by zerozero »

the basic model in LMDE wasn't changed much, it just rolls in snapshots of testing (and to be precise, testing is not a fully rolling release, because has the deep freezes - sid is the truly debian rolling release);
kinu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kinu »

Hi zerozero,

So, as I understand, Debian Sid is more like Arch in terms of package versions and rolling speed, and LMDE is more conservative (an more "stable"). Is it correct?

By example, kernel 3.1 is in Arch testing repository, and the developers said that it will hit core ("stable") repository soon. When will it happen in LMDE (more or less)?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sid would be the closest to arch, yes, but debian is more conservative (doesn't mean necessarily more stable - specially if we are talking about sid);

as for ETA (for example for the kernel) hard to say, the quality controls and the standards are so high that we never know; we do know one thing, a pkg (any pkg) only migrates from sid to testing after a 10 days staging in sid, but that can go to months :mrgreen:

as for stability, i never did arch, but i do chakra and it's rock solid; sid it's stable most of the time (and i run sid systems almost all the time), but when it breaks, can be bad.
kinu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kinu »

Thank you zerozero.

Now things are crystal clear for me. Gonna try again KDE, via Chakra, and put an eye on the brand new Gnome 3 Mint interface.

Bests,

kInu.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:lol: wasn't exactly my intention to drag you to chakra, but good luck and i hope it works as good for you as it has been working for me
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

Funny...I just tried Chakra today...both liveUSB and installed. As with Bodhi Linux, Chakra is very very pretty, with corresponding very very rough edges.

Thus back to LMDE-XFCE...for now :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

ElderDryas wrote:Chakra is very very pretty, with corresponding very very rough edges.
yeahh, chakra is not easy to start with, there's a couple things they do completely different, and i'm not saying i understand everything in it (i'm a chakra noob :lol: )
ElderDryas wrote: Thus back to LMDE-XFCE...for now :)
welcome come back :D
kinu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kinu »

zerozero wrote::lol: wasn't exactly my intention to drag you to chakra, but good luck and i hope it works as good for you as it has been working for me
I'm using LMDE XFCE since it was available in my wife's old Acer netbook, so now I have:

-Arch - laptop
-Chakra - desktop
-LMDE - netbook

And Chakra looks for me as a highway after two years of sharp bends in Arch :mrgreen:

kInU

Return to “LMDE Archive”