Toshiba X505-Q860 black screen installation, failsafe mode

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
madmax

Toshiba X505-Q860 black screen installation, failsafe mode

Post by madmax »

my laptop http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops ... X505-Q860/
trying to install LMDE 32bit

I usually have to use an alternate installation CD to install various distributions on that laptop because the screen just shows a black screen or garbled pixels. Is there a way to use a failsafe graphics mode for the installation? I understand that no text based installer currently exists.

Edit: I also tried the compatible option on the cd, same result.

I have LMDE installed on another computer, which is working great.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lendo

Re: Toshiba X505-Q860 black screen installation, failsafe mo

Post by Lendo »

Hrm... that's a tough one. What graphics card is in it? Are you trying to install gnome or Xfce? The only time that ever happened to my toshiba was with ArchBang. The install went fine, then I had to boot into failsafe and install the Nvidia drivers, reboot and it was fine.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Lendo wrote:Hrm... that's a tough one. What graphics card is in it? Are you trying to install gnome or Xfce? The only time that ever happened to my toshiba was with ArchBang. The install went fine, then I had to boot into failsafe and install the Nvidia drivers, reboot and it was fine.
Geforce 360M
XFCE
If LMDE has a failsafe graphics mode, please let me know how to use that for the installation disk.

Thanks
spandey

Post by spandey »

You have 64 bit processor, have you checked LMDE 64 bit version? Just give a try on live DVD.

Return to “LMDE Archive”