Reinstallation solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Reinstallation solved

Post by rcdeacon »

I am preparing myself to reinstall Mint 4.0 on my Acer Aspire laptop. I have another distro at the front of the drive which I will be removing using gparted (deleting partitions). Once the other partitions are deleted I will reinstall. Can I retain my current "home" partition so that I won't have to reinstall virtualbox and some of the other enhancements I have installed? Are there directions posted or available somewhere? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
Husse

Re: Reinstallation

Post by Husse »

Of course you can keep your home - but I don't recall a specific step by step instruction in the forum. The important thing is to use manual partitioning and set the mount point for home to /home and not mark it for formatting. I came from the Windows world fairly recently and I am still baffled by how easy it is to reinstall - all the settings are retained in home (Including the name on the "menu button")
So make a root ( / ) partition of about 10 GB and a swap partition (about 1 GB) in addition to your home partition.
You may get some problems with the partitioning structure if home is is sitting "in the middle" of the disk. Swap wants to be in an extended partition and you may not be able to extend that as you wish.
If you want more assistance tell me the partitioning structure, as I notice it's a bit hard to give general advice (needs a lot of words :))
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Thanks once again Husse. I will attempt this a little later in the day.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

I managed to give myself a Christmas present this year. I wiped my lappy and did a fresh install of Mint 4.0 and it is now a single boot machine! The first reinstall was a disaster mainly due to wireless issues but when I figured out it was better to install the restricted bcm43xx driver everything went well. The second install went flawlessly and I couldn't be happier!

Return to “Installation & Boot”