open as administrator opens mplayer (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Gerd50

open as administrator opens mplayer (Solved)

Post by Gerd50 »

In the testing breakage thread yesterday i wrote:
A crazy thing happens on my machine after todays update. I saved libnautilus-gksu.so, put it to /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0/
If i want to open a file as administrator now, mplayer starts. Where i have to type in my password i get this:

The application 'mplayer' file:///tmp" lets you modify essential parts of your system

even i removed all mplayer and conf files. I have a five days old backup, started two times from there. Both attempts with
the same result :cry:

If i open nautilus in the terminal i get this:

Code: Select all

nautilus
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_settings_register_type
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_settings_class_init: klass=0x9b44a58
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_settings_instance_init: instance=0x9b34350 (NASettings), klass=0x9b44a58
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_settings_new: reading mandatory configuration
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_settings_new: reading user configuration
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_boxed_register_type
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_boxed_class_init: klass=0x9b456a0
(nautilus:2302): NA-core-DEBUG: na_boxed_instance_init: instance=0x9b341b0 (NABoxed), klass=0x9b456a0

--- Hash table keys for warning below:
--> gerd50
--> inode/directory
--> l2065
--> l2051
--> root
--> l2055
--> l2056
--> l13

(nautilus:2302): Eel-WARNING **: "unique eel_ref_str" hash table still has 8 elements at quit time (keys above)

--- Hash table keys for warning below:
--> file:///
--> file:///Archiv
--> file:///media1

(nautilus:2302): Eel-WARNING **: "nautilus-directory.c: directories" hash table still has 3 elements at quit time (keys above)
What the hell does the warning mean :roll:
Well, it's the craziest thing ever since i use linux. I can't count what i tried to fix it. Nothing helped. The only hint
i found on the whole web is on our forums. So maybe it's a mint made problem.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... er#p396393

a screenshot of the mystery

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What i don't want is, open nautilus as root whenever i want to edit a file. One wrong klick saved can ruin the system.
The only solution i can think of atm is reinstall my more than one year old LMDE installation :cry: :cry: :cry:

After i tried the gnome-shell on my Sid installation for two weeks, i switched it to xfce and i like it. All i need on one view
with short mouse ways

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I would prefer to fix my old LMDE and switch it to xfce, but it seems to be impossible. Transmission is working, bye, bye Gnome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: open as administrator opens mplayer - bye, bye gnome

Post by zerozero »

Gerd, i'm sorry to hear that it's going so bad for you, but that hack is just that: a hack, might work for some, might not for others (i haven't tried it, can't say if it would work in my systems);

but just looking at the filelist of the squeeze pkg, something is missing:
Filelist of package nautilus-gksu in squeeze of architecture amd64

/usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-1.0/libnautilus-gksu.so
/usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-2.0/libnautilus-gksu.so
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/README
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/copyright
anyway, xfce is very good as well and if it works for you great :D
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hi Gerd

So sorry that it doesn't work properly for you. Its worked perfectly for me in 3 different installations.
LMDE-Testing Gnome 3.0,
LMDE-SID Gnome 3.2, and
Ubuntu 11.10.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

For me any directory or file outside of the file manager was trying to open with Gedit unless it was a application.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Gene, and just for the record (and to put things crystal clear) you did very well: you found a problem and a solution and gave it to the community (after tested in your systems);
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zerozero wrote:Gene, and just for the record (and to put things crystal clear) you did very well: you found a problem and a solution and gave it to the community (after tested in your systems);
Thanks for that. Its dissapointing that it does not work for all.
I'll make a warning notation on the posts where the (almost) :wink: fix appears.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

GeneC wrote:
zerozero wrote:Gene, and just for the record (and to put things crystal clear) you did very well: you found a problem and a solution and gave it to the community (after tested in your systems);
Thanks for that. Its dissapointing that it does not work for all.
I'll make a warning notation on the posts where the (almost) :wink: fix appears.
I was assuming Gene found a fix to that problem, to me it was like some kind of file associations file got hosed on top of the rest. For I was able to move files around in/out root, there was just something else wrong for they didn't seem to be associated with the correct application, even my external harddrive the system was trying to open in gedit from the icons. but in the file manager it worked OK.

EDIT: I would click on some thing like the USB HDD and Gedit would come up and say this is a directory and can't be opened by Gedit.
Last edited by wyrdoak on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

and probably, wyrdoak, you are absolutely right, on second though it does look more like a misconfiguration in the file associations than anything else.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

zerozero wrote:

/usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-1.0/libnautilus-gksu.so
/usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-2.0/libnautilus-gksu.so
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/README
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/nautilus-gksu/copyright
I had no extensions-1.0 and 2.0 but add them don't help. I tried all hidden nautilus/actions files, usr/lib/nautilus/actions,
usr/share/nautilus/actions from Sid. Nautilus is fine with the Sid files, except open as admin. It's still pointing to mplayer.

What i found was in gconf editor > apps > nautilus-actions > configuration > profile-zero there are two entrys:

Parameters %M and Path usr/local/bin/mint-md5sum

On the nautilus project site i found a hint to change %M to %M; fi. But no success with it.
And usr/local/bin didn't exist. I added the folder and took the mint-md5sum from LM9. The content is

Code: Select all

zenity --info --text=`md5sum "$1"` --no-wrap
What is the original content of LMDE if it exists? Possibly there is the worm in it?

I thought of maybe something is wrong with one of the usr/share/nautilus-actions nact ui's. Could someone please send
me his nact ui's and i'll try them? 32 bit system here.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Just my thought fwiw Gerd. There is an old saying in England (probably doesn't translate to German :) ) "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water". It might apply here.

Instead of ditching Gnome why not just ditch Nautilus. It is the weakest part of Gnome and has been for years, it was one of the reasons I stuck with KDE for so long (until they ruined that as well). And the plain fact is that it is so easy to solve - switch file managers.

You have a very large choice of these, I am sure I don't have to tell you and they are nearly all available through the package manager. For my purposes I use Dolphin (which is about the only good thing that came out of KDE4). It is a little more difficult to configure on Gnome than it would be on KDE but it can be done. A much quicker fix is to use PCmanfm or something like that, but as I said there is a large choice. This then gives you the option to use something that works until the wheels turn in the Nautilus world and they mange to fix it, which they will, but it will take time.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Viking, in german it is - schütte das Baby nicht mit dem Badewasser in den Abfluss.

Yes of course i can use another file manager. But first if possible i would like to find the worm in nautilus. Sure is, i don't want
the gnome shell. If the worm still remains hidden the next step will be another f-manager on a xfcefied gnome or LMDE Xfce
which i'm very interested in after my first experience with it in sid.
Arran

Post by Arran »

@ Gerd: Wouldn't it be called «Kind» and not «Baby» even in today's totally destructed German language? :roll: :mrgreen:

@ Viking: do you have a Tut on how to integrate Dophin successfully into LMDE? that would be great.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

@ Viking: do you have a Tut on how to integrate Dophin successfully into LMDE? that would be great.
That really depends on your definition of 'integrate'. Install, yes that is easy enough, it is in the package manager, you install it and it works same as any other program would. The main problems I had were with root instances or root actions from the right click context menu. The first of these I solved by installing kdesu as well as gksu and the second was considerably more difficult. You start out with Settings/configure Dolphin/Services/Download New Services then you add 'root actions servicemenu' . It was then that the fun started as the install script supplied with that add-on would not work in the Gnome environment, so I had to try and decipher what the script was saying and do it all manually (some of the destinations it was using did not exist on the Gnome filesystem even after Dolphin was installed). TBH I can't recall the precise way I went about it, but it was a headache.

Most things work, but one thing that doesn't is 'Search' . Dolphin uses nepomuk and strigi for file indexing and I haven't installed those as they are too heavy on resources in my opinion. Theoretically though if you installed these two then the 'Search' function should work.

One of the best things about Dolphin is that it is so easy to see which partitions/devices are mounted and which aren't, and also to mount and unmount them as well, it is all in the 'Places' side panel. Then again I suppose it has to be good at this because the 'New Device Notifier' in KDE4 is such worthless piece of cack that something had to do the job it is supposed to do :lol:

If you want to try it just give it a whirl. If you run into difficulties let me know and I will probably fail miserably at helping you - but I will try.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Thank you Viking for this good description. I am not sure, my knowledge on computers is good enough for such a main operation, so I stick to nautilus. I am generally looking forward for a LMDE KDE-Version and wait patiently.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Arran schrob:

Wouldn't it be called «Kind» and not «Baby» even in today's totally destructed German language?
Ich bin in der amerikanischen Zone Deutschlands aufgewachsen. In meiner Kindheit wurden sehr kleine Kinder Bebie
genannt, bis wir lernten das es Baby geschrieben wird :lol:
Arran

Post by Arran »

Du ärmster. Sowas muss einen ja fürs Leben zeichnen. :mrgreen: :lol: :roll:
Gerd50

Re:(Solved) open as administrator opens mplayer - bye, bye g

Post by Gerd50 »

Back to topic. I decided to install xfce4 on my old LMDE and use thunar after i found out how to add open as root and
integrate catfish. Nautilus is still there and if i'll find a fix i report it here.
Gerd50

Re: open as administrator opens mplayer - bye bye gnome (Sol

Post by Gerd50 »

I had the same sh** again in my Sid and Testing xfce installations with nautilus installed. It happened after an
audacious update from v. 3.2.2 to v. 3.2.3. The nautilus function 'Open as Administrator' started audacious. First i
downgraded the player, set the packages on hold and it was ok. Some days ago there was a Sid update
with smplayer related packages and 'OaA' started smplayer.

The reason is a corrupted libnautilus-gksu.so in usr/lib/nautilis/extensions (-3.0 here). I searched the web for
hours, there are a lot of discriptions about this mistake in several distros, but without solutions. I decided to try
the libnautilus-gksu.so from my Isadora installation and it works :D Then i tried it with a l-g.so from a squeeze
live CD dated february 2011 and it works too. Another l-g.so from a newer Ubuntu version didn't match.

It seems like older versions of libnautilus-gksu.so's can help, if this this mistake appears.

Return to “LMDE Archive”