Linux vs. Windows

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
feinar

Linux vs. Windows

Post by feinar »

HI
Wondering about switching from Win200 to LinuxMint.
BUT...!!! Can I use all of my old software? Like Adobe software..? iTunes, etc..
Or do I have to find other compatible software?

TNX
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux vs. Windows

Post by rcdeacon »

Some programs will have linux equivalents but you could use virtualbox to run win2000 and run some of those programs.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0

Post by Guest »

feinar wrote:HI
Wondering about switching from Win200 to LinuxMint.
BUT...!!! Can I use all of my old software? Like Adobe software..? iTunes, etc..
Or do I have to find other compatible software?

TNX
There are many replacement software available. No need to use any windows software. One note. Mplayer is installed by default. Watching quicktime movies is possible. Open the mplayer configure (on the apple trailer site when it appears when downloading a movie) and choose by video the x11 output...done...stay tuned and use Mint
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

You could be a bit more specific. Some software have a linux equivilant, but not all. I recommend using replacement software instead of running windows software where you can. Itunes have a ton of replacement, however it depends on what features you want. Like the Music store is only available with Itunes, but other come with other stores per default.
You could start with a dual boot system and make the swithc gradually, though..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Not sure if this will work on your music store, IEs4Linux (if you must :( )

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

But I agree tell us what programs you want, and we will try to find Linux equivalant

Nick
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

This sort of debate crops up time and time again. Windows users like the idea of switching to Linux but they don't want to let go of all their Windows applications. Some don't want to let go of the "Windows way" of doing things either. This is a case of wanting the cake and wanting to eat it too. While it's possible to run some Windows applications in Linux, or even virtualize a copy of Windows; complete with applications within Linux, the better solution is to let go of Windows entirely and fully embrace what Linux has to offer. It's the old sink or swim philosophy. There are many, many, many software applications available for Linux that perform the functions of Windows applications. The trick is figuring out what they are and how to use them. It's also critically important, as you embark on your Linux journey, to proceed with an open mind. Linux is NOT Windows. Repeat as often as necessary. Obviously they'll be an adjustment period and a learning curve. This is worth the effort as you find that you can get by splendidly with free applications most of the time. Not only will you find yourself completely free of Microsoft, but free of other expensive proprietary software vendors as well. I've been free of Windows and most proprietary software for five years now. I run a small business and I can do everything with free, open source software. You can too. Just try.

Here are a few links to get you started:
1. Comprehensive list of Linux equivalents (find the equivalent Linux applications for the ones you use in Windows.)
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

2. Setup a copy of Windows within Linux with VMware Server
For Daryna Users:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... ibbon.html
For Celena Users:
http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty ... rver_howto

3. Run (some) Windows software natively within Linux using WINE
For Daryna Users:
http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/12/insta ... ibbon.html
For Celena Users:
http://www.ubuntu1501.com/2007/05/insta ... -1501.html
Check the WINE compatibility database to ensure the software you want to run is supported. Some run with all features enabled, some only partially. This should be your first stop.
http://appdb.winehq.org/

Remember, the forum is here to HELP YOU! Post often; we're happy to assist.
feinar

Post by feinar »

HI
Thanx for alot of good answers..
Specific programmes I'm thinking about would be apps like Adobe Photoshop/Premier, other DVD autoring apps, and so on.. Sony DVD architect/Vegas Video...
I'm well aware that office apps and music/media players is to find for linux.

What about drivers for all my hardware? Wi.Fi card, chipsets, Graphic card (Nvidia).. Noticed that on my install disk for motherboard (ASUS) there was no linux driver for the integrated Wi-Fi card... (Not listed anyway).

And another thing.... How to install driver in linux..

Tried Slax linux the other day... Did not find my Wi-Fi hardware, and therefore it was no good to me.. Yet!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Thanx for alot of good answers..
Specific programmes I'm thinking about would be apps like Adobe Photoshop/Premier, other DVD autoring apps, and so on.. Sony DVD architect/Vegas Video...
I'm well aware that office apps and music/media players is to find for linux.

What about drivers for all my hardware? Wi.Fi card, chipsets, Graphic card (Nvidia).. Noticed that on my install disk for motherboard (ASUS) there was no linux driver for the integrated Wi-Fi card... (Not listed anyway).

And another thing.... How to install driver in linux..

Tried Slax linux the other day... Did not find my Wi-Fi hardware, and therefore it was no good to me.. Yet!
Try the Live CD and see how much of your hardware that works.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
FyrFyt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FyrFyt »

As fr as DVD authoring etc, There are a lot of apps out there that should appeal to you if you have trouble getting your adobe apps to work. If you do a search in these forums, the Ubuntu forums (look at what Ubuntu Studio has) and google. You will find everything from beginner to hard core pro video editing.

Good luck. Welcome to Mint, enjoy your stay, the desert cart will be around shortly.
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

Linux is not windows ... period.

There is a learning curve but with distros like MInt around, is it much easier than most out there.

Running a LIveCD is the best way to check things out, just don't go looking for windows apps because there ain't any.
The big exception is Firefox. Many people use it in windows so since most people go online, this at least is the same.
I think Firefox has been instrumental in getting people to use linux since it has been included as the default in many distros.
With other apps you need to find the linux apps to replace the windows ones.
Depending on what you want to do of course.

When I first started using linux, I would install it on a extra hdd like a 40 or 80GB.
I would use the boot menu on boot and select the hdd with linux installed and boot that way.
This would prevent all the nail biting trying to remove it without hosing the windows install.

Many things will work out of the box but then again, depending on your hardware, many things won't.
Like printers, scanners etc ...
Some companies like HP have linux support for devices.
Fred

Post by Fred »

feinar,

I am not going to try to convince you to change over to Linux. You have to want to change and be committed to trying, learning, and working at getting past the gotcha's.

It is like an addict trying to come clean. You must want to and be committed before anyone can really help you. You must remember that Microsoft has spent literally Billions of dollars over the years to lock you in and addict you to Windows. They have done everything in their power to make it as hard as possible for you to stop paying them.

If you must have your pet programs that you use in Windows, and you aren't willing to actively find and learn to use satisfactory alternatives to them, I don't think you are ready for Linux.

Having said that, If you really want to shed the chains Microsoft has spent so much to shackle you with, in most cases it can be done. There are plenty of people that will be willing to help you, when the time comes.

Just another perspective.

Fred
feinar

Post by feinar »

Thanks.. Again!

First.. I'm very cuorius about Linux.. Just that I've never seen anything else than Windows, since I got my fist Computer as late as 2002... At age 25!

All my Linux experience comes from my DVB tuner... DGS 400s (Running on Linux..)

Anyway.. I'm a little bit tired of pirat-windows.. Getting harder and harder to come around those "genuine" windows checks..

Another consern is my girlfrien who dislike anything that's not familiar on the screen.. Almost paniced when switcing from Win2000 to WinXP... Big difference! Imagine switching to Linux...!!!

Have tried the Mint LiveCD... Not much working on the fly there..!

Have'nt looked much around, but is there some site listing compatible hardware... ?
Does Linux work the same way regarding drivers, applications i.e.
Ex. How do I install driver for a hardware just connected... Like Printer/scanner/Wi-Fi card.... etc.. Guessing that there are no Plug&Play installation..?

Is this the same operation in any linux distr..? Ubuntu, Mint, etc..

Greta idéa by the way, installing Linux on a different HD... Could be the way to go:-) For me!
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

The girlfriend factor is just another one of those things :mrgreen:

If you decide to install to a spare hdd, make sure you don't overwrite the MBR on your windows hdd.

Best to just install it and start using it and tackle the issues as they arise.
Keep a positive attitude and try to keep it fun.
Don't expect peripherals to work out of the box but everything else should.

Mint, Mepis and PCLinuxOS are the easiest to use IMHO.

Mint is based on ubuntu but clem and the boys have greatly improved it.
Ubuntu on it's own does not play MP3's or DVD's out of the box and is harder to configure.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

There are many themes out there to make your Linux installation look like other OS's: Vista, XP, Win 2K, Mac OS X, BeOS, you name it...
As I previously stated, run the Live CD, and see how you like the default setup, try things out, see how much of your hardware that "just works".
Have fun with it, dive in and explore!
Live CD's are a GREAT thing!
CREA DIEM!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

For iPod support use hipo

Code: Select all

apt install hipo
or gtkpod

Code: Select all

apt install gtkpod
or rhythmbox [Click to install with mintInstall]
CREA DIEM!

feinar

Post by feinar »

Another issue..

What about HD-DVD/Blu-Ray..
Using Power DVD today.. Anything for Linux there?
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

If you want to play DRM crippled films on open software,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... ayAndHDDVD

Defective by design

Nick

Return to “Software & Applications”