No video in Google Video-Chat

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

No video in Google Video-Chat

Post by feffer »

Using a new Logitech pro 9000 webcam. Installed the guvcview app to control it, and can see video there and Sound preferences indicate that the logitech's mic is working. My friends and family are using Gmail video-chat, so I installed the plugin from their site. My machine has 64-bit arch, and LMDE is also 64-bit. Though I installed the debian 64-bit plugin from Google, it initially brought up installation errors. These all seemed to be fixed with "apt-get install -f" When I open Firefox and login to Gmail, the Chat settings DO show that sound is working, and the logitech webcam is detected, but it just shows a black window (no video in Gmail). The webcam is on as is the guvcview software. Not sure how to troubleshoot this? The guvcview controller has a lot of choices. I've done trial and error, but don't really know if I'm barking up the right tree? Any help greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No video in Google Video-Chat

Post by feffer »

It's a bit flakey! Quiting the guvcview app, restarting FF and again login to Gmail, now turns on the webcam when I click Settings > Chat > Verify. But this time the mic wasn't working. Played around with ALSA settings a bit, restarted FF once again and now all seems to work. The guvcview app must be left off and allow the Gmail video-chat plugin control the webcam. Not sure if this is the best way?
SunWorks
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No video in Google Video-Chat

Post by SunWorks »

Hello,
Was searching around looking for some hopeful information regarding video chat in Linux Mint, after facing the same exact problem, although different software (Mint 9 LTS) and 32bit hardware.

The camera is working, the sound in Google voice chat is there, but the screen is black.

Any updates on your situation? Is anything working?

Wow... Apple has Facetime video app that is absolutely amazing and Linux users have garbage for video chat. Skype is a deprecated version and with M$ owning it now, I don't hold out any hope they are going to make life better for Linux users.

So curious if you've found anything positive in your search for video chat software for Mint?

thank you,
clinton

Return to “LMDE Archive”