Status of LMDE Fluxbox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Blazing Teens

Re: Status of LMDE Fluxbox?

Post by Blazing Teens »

Kendall wrote:Plus I'm sure I'll find a few more things before it's all said and done. On a good note, she's rocking fm3, gtk-logout, tint2, and a few other goodies. Also, "tap to click" works by default, unlike the other Debian based Mint editions. :)
What is 'Tap to Click' ?
pghjake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pghjake »

re: tap to click
Thank you! I tried XFCE version on my eee-900a and promptly replaced/re-installed with CrunchBang Statler because of this very issue. I like the idea of a Debian base, but not at the expense of my work flow.
If CrunchBang can fully enable my trackpad, why can't the LMDE releases? Is it Squeeze vs Wheezy? If I change my sources to Wheezy or Sid with Crunchbang the trackpad tap and scroll still works after a dist-upgrade, so why not Mint?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

pghjake wrote:re: tap to click
Thank you! I tried XFCE version on my eee-900a and promptly replaced/re-installed with CrunchBang Statler because of this very issue. I like the idea of a Debian base, but not at the expense of my work flow.
If CrunchBang can fully enable my trackpad, why can't the LMDE releases? Is it Squeeze vs Wheezy? If I change my sources to Wheezy or Sid with Crunchbang the trackpad tap and scroll still works after a dist-upgrade, so why not Mint?
The keyboard/mouse settings app that I wrote for Fluxbox basically issues a string of terminal calls to adjust settings as opposed to using the kernel API and remembering those settings with a session manager like virtually every other desktop environment. Last time I checked, neither Gnome nor Xfce had built-in functionality for tap-to-click. Ubuntu turns it on by default while Debian does not. I'm not sure what steps #! took in this matter, but I personally prefer it to be on by default as does the majority of other laptop users I've run into.
Blazing Teens wrote:What is 'Tap to Click' ?
When you tap the trackpad on a laptop and the system registers it as a click.
Blazing Teens

Post by Blazing Teens »

Kendall wrote:
pghjake wrote:re: tap to click
The keyboard/mouse settings app that I wrote for Fluxbox basically issues a string of terminal calls to adjust settings as opposed to using the kernel API and remembering those settings with a session manager like virtually every other desktop environment. Last time I checked, neither Gnome nor Xfce had built-in functionality for tap-to-click. Ubuntu turns it on by default while Debian does not. I'm not sure what steps #! took in this matter, but I personally prefer it to be on by default as does the majority of other laptop users I've run into.
Blazing Teens wrote:What is 'Tap to Click' ?
When you tap the trackpad on a laptop and the system registers it as a click.
Sorry for silly question :roll: , and thanks for answering , Kendall ! :lol:
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Kendall, there's a menu script for IceWM (originally from red-hat, I think) that coupled with lxmenu-data replicates the LXDE menu in it. anticapitalista from antiX, tweaked it so it would generate a Fluxbox menu instead.
See http://antix.freeforums.org/better-scri ... t2822.html (last post has the mod for Fluxbox).
It's a great script and since you already have experience in tweaking LXDE's menu you would be at home with it. I would think that even lxmed http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/ would work with it but you must know better in this subject.
jaycee

Post by jaycee »

I just noticed that a Debian Fluxbox iso was posted yesterday for internal testing on the Community website - http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/87. Kendall mentioned that he's been having problems with gdm3 configuration. Might I suggest that he tries lightdm instead? It entered the Debian testing repositories one week ago (and will become available for LMDE once the next update pack is issued, which shouldn't be too far away), and would be a very suitable alternative, especially for the generally lightweight Fluxbox edition...
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I am using Lightdm on Debian now and the only problem is no mouse cursor, it has buttons that cannot be clicked.
This is an upstream regression, no idea when it will be fixed.
I do like it better than gdm and I never used gdm3.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

jaycee wrote:I just noticed that a Debian Fluxbox iso was posted yesterday for internal testing on the Community website - http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/87. Kendall mentioned that he's been having problems with gdm3 configuration. Might I suggest that he tries lightdm instead? It entered the Debian testing repositories one week ago (and will become available for LMDE once the next update pack is issued, which shouldn't be too far away), and would be a very suitable alternative, especially for the generally lightweight Fluxbox edition...
I've already been messing with LightDM and I too have been experiencing the regression that kills the mouse cursor, which was why I haven't been messing with it further for the moment. I do eventually want to integrate LightDM with a few things though, notably this and the LXDE edition.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

What about using gdm-legacy until lightdm is ready ? Much more configurable than gdm3.
Also maybe join in on the bug report for the cursor problem, the more people saying it is a problem maybe the dev will take it seriously and fix it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/818852
phin586

Post by phin586 »

Anywhere I can download this since it is now currently down?

Return to “Software & Applications”