Installation Problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ummagumma

Installation Problem

Post by Ummagumma »

I burned the disk image for Daryna 4.0, and put it into an old Dell Optiplex GX60 w/ 1.6ghz processor 256mb RAM - I wiped the drive clean before installing (bad idea?) and the Main menu pops up fine, and I'm trying to start it in safe graphics mode, but after doing so it just goes straight to a black screen - no command line or anything. Is there anything I am doing wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installation Problem

Post by MagnusB »

With just 256 RAM liveCDs tend to be a bit slow, and unfortunately there is no alternate install CD for Mint. You could just retry (I know this work, I have a box myself with only 245 RAM, and usually I just try and try again until it work), or you could try out the XFCE edition, as XFCE is a much more RAM friendly desktop environment than GNOME.. It might also be an issue with your disk, does Mint come with the check CD function?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Re: Installation Problem

Post by Guest »

One thing I have done before in a situation like this, which usually works, is add some more ram from another computer that you have, if it is compatible, and install the system. You can then remove the ram after the install and all will be will, though a bit slow. No guarantees but a good shot anyway.

Good luck

Fred

Return to “Installation & Boot”