Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” RC. Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” RC New features at a glance: Gnome 3 and MGSE MATE Artwork improvements Search engines For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12“. Known problems: MATE [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1858
soccerz619

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by soccerz619 »

Clem, will Mint still get money using DDG like it did with Google in 11?
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Can we perhaps have an official thread under “Releases & Announcements” for bugs in the LM12 RC?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

aelfinn wrote:Can we perhaps have an official thread under “Releases & Announcements” for bugs in the LM12 RC?
Bugs should be reported at Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

tdockery97 wrote:Bugs should be reported at Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
Yes, once they are confirmed as bugs. But maybe I’m doing something wrong. That’s why a thread here might be a good idea. And an unofficial one is going to be started anyway if there is no official one.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

aelfinn wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:Bugs should be reported at Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
Yes, once they are confirmed as bugs. But maybe I’m doing something wrong. That’s why a thread here might be a good idea. And an unofficial one is going to be started anyway if there is no official one.
I agree. A forum thread is needed for any RC release in order to determine if a bug is actually a bug and if so then to confirm it (and then report it as a bug) troubleshoot the problem and perhaps find some solution or work around or at least be able to show where the problem lies.This then can also be added to the bug report. A bug report is not a forum and forum like conversation should not take place there.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Fomhor

Post by Fomhor »

Lovely Lisa RC!

Er...something strange happened while i was using the file explorer.
I was configuring a map to be shown in "detail"-mode and then I tried
to sort files after "type". This froze the whole desk, I could move the
mouse-pointer around but clicking anything just resulted in the "type"-
bar being pressed. I even tried CTRL-ALT-DEL and nothing happened.
After a while I tried TAB-ing around, and shure, some things happened
but just graphical stuff. Then I tried some ALT-combinations; Presto!
I finally managed to kill the file-explorer. :twisted:
Other windows that were open at the time: Transmission, VLC (paused).

LM12 RC x64 newly installed (Mint4Win), all codecs, DVD extended, everything updated.

Bets regards, Tomas Sandberg
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

I rest my case.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

aelfinn wrote:Yes, once they are confirmed as bugs. But maybe I’m doing something wrong. That’s why a thread here might be a good idea
The problem with this is that many things that 'should' be reported as bugs are discussed in the forum and fixes or workarounds suggested so the bugs never actually get reported. Personally I think a completely separate forum section should be setup for discussing anything to do with unreleased versions. There are far too many users who jump on a beta or RC and seem to expect solutions to issues as for the final release. This is not good practice imo and leads to poor quality control as many minor bugs may be overlooked.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

remoulder wrote:
aelfinn wrote:Yes, once they are confirmed as bugs. But maybe I’m doing something wrong. That’s why a thread here might be a good idea
The problem with this is that many things that 'should' be reported as bugs are discussed in the forum and fixes or workarounds suggested so the bugs never actually get reported. Personally I think a completely separate forum section should be setup for discussing anything to do with unreleased versions. There are far too many users who jump on a beta or RC and seem to expect solutions to issues as for the final release. This is not good practice imo and leads to poor quality control as many minor bugs may be overlooked.
Very good points. The problem it seems to me is an initial lack of structure for reporting bugs. If the group of (unofficial) Mint testers were not so dedicated to fixing (reported and non-reported) problems, the various editions of Mint would most likely be a lot more problematic and less popular than they are now. Still, having to paw your way through various forum threads in hopes of finding a solution to a particular problem is no way to run a ship and, as you said, it lends itself to repeat problems from one version of Mint to the next.

I like the idea of a separate forum section strictly for testing pre-release versions of Mint. Something I've sorely missed when reporting problems with a particular RC. The threads within this section would have to closely policed by moderators as well as the testers themselves in order to make sure that bug reports are made for legitimate problems found within any pre-release. The LMDE testers/users (of which I am one) have started their own section pretty much as you describe.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=141

The proper path to follow for reporting bugs may still be lacking somewhat but let's face it...Linux Mint is still a very small operation with very few actual forum moderators. Plenty of room for improvement in all things and plenty of folks willing to help.

Seems to me a good start would be to have a forum administrator in on this. We could setup a proper bug reporting structure within the forums, develop and announce a standard for reporting bugs and a path from forum to bug report (shouldn't be that hard) and then set up a section for testing pre-releases. Of course, if the forum admin is Clem then a bit of "delegation of authority" is needed? :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Mitja

Post by Mitja »

great when are we going to see the official release?
rhY

Wow. Horrible.

Post by rhY »

Meh.

Been using it for a couple of hours now, and I just don't like it as well as I liked Mint 10 and 11. I hate the upper task bar, and I hate that the other notifications aren't down on the bottom right where I like them. I also really hate the new Start Menu. The old Mint Menu was almost perfect. Now it's gone for this garbage? Uber Lame. I've tried adding shorcuts to the menu, to the task bar, to the desktop (which I hate to do). No dice. It's completely unacceptable that I can't create shorcuts as I'd like. I really don't care to hear the logic or reasoning behind it, nothing will be adequate to explain this hilariously sophomoric oversight. You can't right click anywhere. It's like I might as well have a shitty one button mac mouse. Are you kidding me? I've converted probably 100 clients over to mint, and been ECSTATIC to do so. Some of the savvy ones have been asking me about Mint 12. Right now I'm going to have to be straight with them: It sucks. It's still better than Windows Seven or Ubuntu, but suddenly it's inferior to amazing OSes like EVERY PREVIOUS VERSION and also Windows XP.

Elegance and Usability just went out the door. I left the Ubuntu party to come here. Where's the party going next? I will be switching all of my clients to another OS immediately if you can't right click the task bars and customize them as you see fit.

TLDR: I can't even add a shortcut?!? confused?!?
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

tdockery97 wrote:
aelfinn wrote:Can we perhaps have an official thread under “Releases & Announcements” for bugs in the LM12 RC?
Bugs should be reported at Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
I've tried filing two bugs already. After I submit them, I get redirected to a blank screen where nothing happens.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

remoulder wrote:The problem with this is that many things that 'should' be reported as bugs are discussed in the forum and fixes or workarounds suggested so the bugs never actually get reported.
And that is very easily fixed: Get a moderator to monitor the official thread and make sure he or she collects and files all the bona fide bug reports. Joe Random User will often not be sure whether what he sees is a bug or be unable to actually file the report (see hotweiss’s post above). If you are really concerned about quality control, you have to take responsibility for it yourself. Which is why I suggested an official bug report thread.
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

After playing with Linux Mint 12 64 bit in VirtualBox on my LMDE Sony VAIO Notebook, trying both the default UI and MATE I conclude that the worst action Linux Mint could do is to release it as anything but as an RC. It just isn't anywhere nearly ready for mainstream use. I also think a stand like this, by the current No.1 Distribution on Distrowatch would send a message to the developers of Unity and Gnome 3 that their efforts are not suitable for the vast majority of desktop users.

I'm positive that the reason Linux Mint has toppled Ubuntu from the top of the poll was its holding on to the Gnome 2 desktop UI (mind you Mint was always No1 for me!). To adopt Gnome 3 now would just throw us into the pool with everybody else. As inspired as MGSE and MATE are, they are just not ready yet.

Please take a stand now, before it is too late.
superuser

Post by superuser »

I tried CD no codecs 64bit on Lenovo laptop T500 with ATI Radeon HD mobility 3650/Intel mobility something something
*Can't extract .Rar files. Says unsupported file.
I tried with custom app downloaded via package manager, still doesn't work.
*Theres no boot animation..I've never tried an RC by linux but it might right but for me, it's just super-ugly.
*The system is about 50% slower than version 10. I did not use 11 because it's full of bugs.
*Gnome 3 is ugly, very stripped, and quite slow and buggy...
I know this is an RC but it's not possible to use even for test purpose.
beta_tester

Post by beta_tester »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” RC. Linux Mint 12 “Lisa” RC New features at a glance: Gnome 3 and MGSE MATE Artwork improvements Search engines For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12“. Known problems: MATE [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1858
Although using LMDE had to look at this, I will sum it up in one word~: BRILLIANT!!!

Ok some "undocumented features" :) concept= brilliant also. No wonder you are at No1 in Distrowatch! well deserved and long may it continue!

OOPs Many congratulations :)

kind regards john
gtr1957

Post by gtr1957 »

Attempt to install failed. The live user seemed to work okay, so I decided to install. I couldn't get past 'chosing a picture for my user account' because the continue button was off screen (below). I suspect this is due to the screen dimensions of my HP mini-210 netbook, on which I am currently running Mint 11,Windows XP and MEPIS. I had intended to install into one of 2 unused partitions. The screen options available were 1024x600 and 800x600, both of which had the same problem the next or continue button (whichever it should be) was off the bottom of the screen. I could shrink (down) the screen, but never raise it to show the bottom few lines). The native screen dimension of the mini-210 is 1366x768. Any suggestions?... magic keystroke combinations?... Actually, after doing some further research, this sounds like Bug #837406 in ubiquity. Does the Mint 12 RC installer use gtk3 and does it need a similar fix? : Note that I found that Holding Left Alt key allowed dragging with left mouse button, and I was then able to install. This use of left alt plus dragging with left mouse information for people with netbooks should be added to the release notes. :)
Last edited by gtr1957 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
briarpatch

Post by briarpatch »

When I'm in Gnome 3 on Mint 12, it looks as if you removed the workspaces bar on the right hand side. I had gotten used to that feature in Gnome 3 under Ubuntu. Is there a way to get it back? Or is this new arrangement a feature I'm supposed to endure?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

briarpatch wrote:When I'm in Gnome 3 on Mint 12, it looks as if you removed the workspaces bar on the right hand side. I had gotten used to that feature in Gnome 3 under Ubuntu. Is there a way to get it back? Or is this new arrangement a feature I'm supposed to endure?
It's still there. When I hover my mouse over "Activities" the edge of the workspace bar appears on the right-hand side as usual. The workspace bar "flies out" when I hover over the edge of it. Works fine for me.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”