Reasons to use Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Reasons to use Linux Mint

Post by rcdeacon »

The big draw for me was with multimedia. When you insert an audio cd in the drive or a dvd it will work automagically. If it is an audio cd it ask you (sound juicer?) if you want to play the cd or extract (rip) the cd. If it is a dvd the codecs are already installed and it will begin to play shortly after inserted. I'm not sure but the wireless seemed to be easier to set up in Mint than in Ubuntu or other distros for that matter (excluding PCLOS which IMO is easiest by far). Another plus is the theme which for many (but not all) is pleasant and Mint has a "refined" look to it. Everything pretty much worked out of the box and I am incredibly satisfied with Mint and IMO it is well worth migrating to it. Just my two cents worth.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

First let me say that there is nothing wrong with Ubuntu, it is a solid distribution. I can only express the things that interested me in LinuxMint.

The mint-menu and single panel appealed to me from the start! In my opinion the mint-menu is what makes gnome look good and appealing. I do not have to have any shortcuts in my panel or my desktop because of the "Favourites" section of the mint-menu. The menu was a real attention getter for me!

The artwork I feel is second to none! A quick search on gnome-look also shows that there is a lot more high quality artwork available to suit just about anyone's taste. "Out Of The Box Appearance" is a real strong point in LinuxMint.

LinuxMint has some impressive tools! The "Mint Assistant" is my personal favourite because I have a choice of enabling the root account. That choice is important to me and because of the tools I can enable that account with very little effort.

Multimedia works in LinuxMint "Out Of The Box". This is a real time saver for me! I know how to install everything myself but LinuxMint saves me the hassle of searching for everything.

LinuxMint has most of the packages I want without the bloat. I do not have to add and remove a lot of things to have the system I want.

LinuxMint is one of a few distributions where you can communicate with the developer's. This puts Mint ahead of other distributions in my mind and provides an example of how a community is supposed to be.

I really can not think of a single drawback to using LinuxMint. I experiment with other distributions all of the time but LinuxMint is the distribution of choice for me. Try out the Live CD if you are interested and decide for yourself!
Ralphnaderchop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralphnaderchop »

I tried Ubuntu 7.10 64bit on a system I built for my kids, and I had a lot of "fun" getting everything to work like flashplayer, dvd playback, etc. That was my first time with Linux. I heard everything works right out of the box (on distro watch I think) with Linux Mint. I had acquired a laptop that I had fixed, and Linux Mint was the distro I tried. And to my surprise (and relief) the claims where just bout right. That was a month ago, and I couldn't be happier. I brag about this distro to guys at work, and built a budget computer for them to try out Linux Mint vs XP.

Return to “Beginner Questions”