/home partition read-only

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dupie

/home partition read-only

Post by dupie »

Whenever I boot my system, I find the /home dir (which is its own partition) is read-only.
Upon entering "mount":

Code: Select all

/dev/sda2 on /home type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
My friend, who has experience in UNIX, tells me this is caused by an unclean shutdown, but could provide no further instruction.
How can I make my /home not mount as read-only? I would be much obliged to whomever can help me with this issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: /home partition read-only

Post by xenopeek »

This is correct. /home folder is read-only and can only be written to by root. Your /home/username folder should be both readable and writable by you. Please check with:

ls -ld /home
That you get an output like (the parts in red should match):
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2011-07-03 06:25 /home
And also check with:

ls -ld ~
That you get an output like (the parts in red should match, but have your username instead):
drwx------ 56 vincent vincent 12288 2011-11-13 10:02 /home/vincent
If all matches, nothing is wrong. You only have write permission on your own home folder, not on anything else, and that is how it should be.
dupie

Post by dupie »

xenopeek wrote:This is correct. /home folder is read-only and can only be written to by root. Your /home/username folder should be both readable and writable by you. Please check with:

ls -ld /home
That you get an output like (the parts in red should match):
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2011-07-03 06:25 /home
And also check with:

ls -ld ~
That you get an output like (the parts in red should match, but have your username instead):
drwx------ 56 vincent vincent 12288 2011-11-13 10:02 /home/vincent
If all matches, nothing is wrong. You only have write permission on your own home folder, not on anything else, and that is how it should be.
I didn't know this was how it was meant to be, but let me correct myself.
My /home/dupie directory is read-only. I can view, but not edit or add to my documents, pictures, music, etc.
rekik

Post by rekik »

Is your Home partition automounted on boot ? If so, providing /etc/fstab content will help
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Please also post:

ls -ld /home
ls -la ~
That way we can see how everything is set with regards to permissions. Don't forget to include "cat /etc/fstab", as there may be something wrong there.

Return to “LMDE Archive”