How compatible is Mint?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sayton12

How compatible is Mint?

Post by sayton12 »

How compatible are the main Ubuntu based releases with Ubuntu? I want to use Ubuntu for the PPA's and the general support it has compared with other distros but along with anyone else Unity is more annoying than it is helpful.

If I just follow guides / install links as though I was using Ubuntu will Mint still work fine?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: How compatible is Mint?

Post by proxima_centauri »

sayton12 wrote:If I just follow guides / install links as though I was using Ubuntu will Mint still work fine?
Assuming you use the corresponding releases, yes, they are compatible.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

PPA's for Ubuntu are also working on Mint. Mint 9 is compatible with Ubuntu Lucid, Mint 10 with Maverick, Mint 11 with Natty and Mint 12 will be compatible with Ubuntu Oneiric.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

you can also use the corresponding backports for each version as mentioned above by AlbertP

Return to “Non-technical Questions”