Can't install Google Chrome on Linux Mint 12 RC 64 bits

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sauronnikko

Can't install Google Chrome on Linux Mint 12 RC 64 bits

Post by sauronnikko »

Hi. I'm using Linux Mint 12 RC 64 bits. I downloaded the latest Google Chrome 64 bit .deb package (For Debian/Ubuntu). When I try to run it, the following error message appears:
Could not open 'google-chrome-stable-current-amd64.deb' The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file
Can you help me? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JordanV0712

Re: Can't install Google Chrome on Linux Mint 12 RC 64 bits

Post by JordanV0712 »

Its because Ubuntu is lacking dependencies in order to run it. Download and install Chromium from the Software Manager. Then after that, remove Chromium and install Chrome. Then it should work. It did for me.
sauronnikko

Post by sauronnikko »

Yes, that worked. Many thanks!
sbrandwoo

Post by sbrandwoo »

When you use dpkg the error messages are very clear that libcurl3 and libnss3-1d need to be installed, and as such the following is what you need:
sudo aptitude install libcurl3 libnss3-1d

My question is, since the package manager knows what is needed and the packages are in the repository, why can the package not be installed? Is this a bug in the package? In Mint 12?

Steve
sayton12

Post by sayton12 »

sauronnikko wrote:Hi. I'm using Linux Mint 12 RC 64 bits. I downloaded the latest Google Chrome 64 bit .deb package (For Debian/Ubuntu). When I try to run it, the following error message appears:
Could not open 'google-chrome-stable-current-amd64.deb' The package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check the permissions of the file
Can you help me? Thanks!
I had the same issue but all you need to do is download all the updates and restart the OS and its fine
jvossler

Post by jvossler »

I use SRWare Iron instead of Google Chrome and have had no problems installing the .deb file.
Alpensopath

Post by Alpensopath »

Step #1: Download Chrome Browser
Visit http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=linux and download the package for Linux desktop.
Save .deb or .rpm package at /tmp directory.
Step #2: Install Google Chrome Browser
Open the terminal and type the following command to install the same under Debian or Ubuntu Linux:
cd /tmp
sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-beta_current_amd64.deb
If you are using Suse or Fedora Linux, enter:
rpm -ivh google-chrome-beta_current_x86_64.rpm
Step#3: Run Google Chrome Browser
You can launch Google Chrome browser by visiting the Application > Internet > Google Chrome. Or type the following command at a bash prompt:
google-chrome &

View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-i-i ... e-linux-os
dreyT

Post by dreyT »

downloading libcurl3 libnss3-1d didn't help me
but dpkg -i worked like a charm, thanks!
rhand

Post by rhand »

Code: Select all

dpkg -i
worked for me too - thanks!
dobbelyou

Post by dobbelyou »

i got sware-iron installed

Return to “Software & Applications”