sudo and root account

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
barbasla

sudo and root account

Post by barbasla »

I am interested in a version of LMDE with KDE, which I understand is being prepared.

Then I'd rather have the root account active since installation, the reason for my request is explained in brief the following link. (http://elliottback.com/wp/sudo-make-me-a-sandwich/).

Therefore, I ask if you can in the time of installation, to choose whether to enable sudo, or root account.

Thanks for your attention

Hello.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: sudo and root account

Post by cwsnyder »

The Linux Mint installer does not include the option to change from sudo to requiring a root user account. If you want to write your own installer, you can change that.

If you don't want to go that far, you can enable the root user by simply enter in the terminal, not typing in the $ of course:

Code: Select all

$ sudo passwd root
To then remove your user account from the sudoers list, first login to root, then type:

# deluser username admin
# deluser username sudo
username should be replaced by your account name and the #'s indicate the root prompt in terminal.

If you don't perform the second part of the instructions, you can still use sudo from your ordinary account.
barbasla

Post by barbasla »

cwsnyder wrote:The Linux Mint installer does not include the option to change from sudo to requiring a root user account. If you want to write your own installer, you can change that.
Unfortunately I was not able to modify the installer and I hope that kind of option is added.

cwsnyder wrote:If you don't want to go that far, you can enable the root user by simply enter in the terminal, not typing in the $ of course:

$ sudo passwd root
To then remove your user account from the sudoers list, first login to root, then type:

# deluser username admin
# deluser username sudo
username should be replaced by your account name and the #'s indicate the root prompt in terminal.
These two commands do not know them and I thank you for telling revealed.

I had found in Linux Mint and forums at the following link http://man.he.net/man8/sudo_root this explanation:

GOING BACK TO A TRADITIONAL ROOT ACCOUNT
This is not recommended!

To enable the root account (i.e. set a password) use:

sudo passwd root

Afterwards, edit the sudo configuration with sudo visudo and comment
out the line

%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

to disable sudo access to members of the admin group.

Do you think that the mutation is complete?

Thank you. :)
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

That really depends on your definition of complete. :)

According to my reading of the documentation, not removing the username from the SUDO group means that username can still use anyone other than root's privileges.

Return to “LMDE Archive”