File/Directory Binary Compare tool?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

File/Directory Binary Compare tool?

Post by chowanec »

Hey all,

I've got two hard-drives that store similar, but not the same, binary files. Basically, I am consolidating my media collection to a single PC HDD and I'm fairly certain that most of the media from one drive is on the other. That said, what would you guys suggest in terms of copying files/folders from one PC to another? Is there a slick diff tool that handles binaries? I know there's the diff command line, but I'd prefer to be a bit more selective during the consolidation. I almost need just a REPORT of what exists on one drive and not the other...?

That, and on one drive, folders are all stored in the root vs. the target drive, which is stored by media type and then genre. Not sure if this makes a functional difference or not.

Thanks much.

-Chow
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: File/Directory Binary Compare tool?

Post by Husse »

What you consider is a simple task to organize for a human, but quite difficult for a computer
The file structure is not the same, maybe even file names (titles) are different.
This would mean to read the file names in one disk, one by one, and then look into the other disk to see if the same name exists there, followed by a binary comparison of the two files. Quite a task...
But you could write something, even a bash script I think that does this....

Post by Guest »

Hi,

You can use Beyond Compare; in my top 3 of best tools on the market for programmers.

Version 3 (currently in beta) will be out at the end of the month and they've ported it to Linux:

http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Post by Guest »

Btw, Beyond Compare will compare files, folders... binary, text... you name it. Honestly, one of the best tools. Give it a shot.

Return to “Software & Applications”