Problem typing C-Cedilla (Ç) using US-intl keyboard layout

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaarlows

Problem typing C-Cedilla (Ç) using US-intl keyboard layout

Post by kaarlows »

Hi there,

I've tried to search around for a solution to this nagging issue with the cedilla character (ç) on systems with a US-layout keyboard. On every other system I have used, that character is input by hitting the apostrophe key <'> and then the letter <c>. That's not only customary, but it is way less cumbersome than the composing solution I've seen sometimes, which involves pressing <right ALT> + <,> and then <c>.

Is there a way to fine tune my desktop so that pressing <'> and then <c> gives me a cedilla as opposed to the funky accented ć? I read somewhere that that was the expected result on a Unicode-enabled Linux system, but I'd rather give up Unicode than put up with this annoyance. I also tried fiddling

Code: Select all

/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose
changing the Ćs I've found with a much pleasant for my language, Ç, but it did not work, even after restarting.

Also, strangely Opera browser does exactly what I want with the <'>+<C> combo and gives me a c-cedilla, but all other apps doesn't.

Under keyboards prefs, I also found a very absurd layout config for the so-called "Brazil Nativo for USA keyboards" that in nothing resembles the QWERTY that is should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Problem typing C-Cedilla (Ç) using US-intl keyboard layout

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint
I found a possible solution in this thread over at Ubuntu forums
The first post is word for word the same as your post for several lines....
In a terminal
Type 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales'
then generate new locale: pt_BR ISO-8859-1
then select default locale: pt_BR ISO-8859-1
BTW I like your signature - how true
ispmarin

Re: Problem typing C-Cedilla (Ç) using US-intl keyboard layo

Post by ispmarin »

Hi there,

I just installed Linux Mint Debian, and I'm having the exact same problem: ' + c = c, not ç. The ubuntu solution is not working. The compose key is really not right, so what should I do to configure correctly in Mint ' + c = ç? It works on Debian correctly...
Orion@Xorg

Post by Orion@Xorg »

Hi,
The solution is here in my blog:

http://orion-x11.blogspot.com/2011/04/c ... clado.html

:)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

In Mint 12, Alt-Gr + , types ç using US Intl keyboard.

Anyway, thank you for the how-to. I can understand it a bit because I've learnt some Spanish.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

AlbertP wrote:In Mint 12, Alt-Gr + , types ç using US Intl keyboard.
And that's not the expected keyboard behaviour if you're from Brazil and use a US Intl keyboard. And since many people in Brazil (just an example as I don't know how cedilla is used in other countries) use this keyboard there is a whole lot of bugreports around this...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I know.

It's not just Brazil, also French people are accustomed to typing ç with ' + c. And I occasionally type French and found it a nuisance the key combination didn't work.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
laviddander

Post by laviddander »

http://www.mail-archive.com/desktop-bug ... 05311.html

I, too, found this annoying while typing in French and so came to this conclusion:

sudo apt-get install ibus

Reboot, profit.
Kiuri

Post by Kiuri »

laviddander wrote:http://www.mail-archive.com/desktop-bug ... 05311.html

I, too, found this annoying while typing in French and so came to this conclusion:

sudo apt-get install ibus

Reboot, profit.
Thanks a lot! Been going crazy about this for ages now. ibus does the trick and now i have ç !
vergl4s

Post by vergl4s »

I tried this solution with Mint 16 and it no longer workd. Ibus simply wouldn't "correct" this problem.

The only solution that worked for me can be found at http://askubuntu.com/questions/363115/how-to-type-latin-small-letter-c-with-cedilla :
Append the line below to the file /etc/environment and do the login again.

export GTK_IM_MODULE=cedilla
I hope this can be helpful to someone.

Return to “Other topics”