What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What is your favourite Desktop Environment or Window Manager

KDE
38%
Gnome
35%
XFCE
5%
Box Window Manager (Fluxbox, Openbox, Blackbox)
10%
Enlightenment 16
No votes
Enlightenment 17
6%
ROX
No votes
CDE
No votes
Nextstep GUI
No votes
Other
6%

Total votes: 223

NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What is your preferred Desktop Environment or WM (Poll)

Post by NoClue! »

I think the hacks jacking the pclinuxos distrowatch ratings are here..........hahaha!

E17 beating xfce????
molom

Post by molom »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:
molom wrote:KDE is beating gnome... That's odd, but interesting.
Maybe that can make Mint developers change the Main edition to use KDE instead of Gnome...
I hope not :lol:
molom

Post by molom »

NoClue! wrote:I think the hacks jacking the pclinuxos distrowatch ratings are here..........hahaha!

E17 beating xfce????
Don't know why PCLOS is so popular. Like you said, it could be the pclos hackers :lol: . But Mint has been rated to be the top Distro by distrowatch and Sabayon, which was rated one of the worst is beating Mint. But Mint is just about to beat it, it's only around 20 points behind.

E17 is faster and looks a lot nicer than XFCE. XFCE is my second choice. But E17 isn't polished enough to be able to beat XFCE yet. It still beats fluxbox and ratpoison ( Very funny WM :D ).
molom

Post by molom »

Kynan wrote:
molom wrote:Don't know why PCLOS is so popular.
Yea it beats me. I tried it for a while just felt ugly , cluttered, and not "radiacally simple" mint on the other hand is :D an i dont want kde to be the main wm :).
Probably its the best a KDE distro can get ;) . All PCLOS has is compiz and everything kubuntu has. I find Mint to be the best and most friendliest. I can't be bothered using PCLOS because its Mandriva based and I know I'll just be using a distro similar Kubuntu with Compiz. But there is a big difference in Linux Mint and Ubuntu in terms of looks and user friendliness.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I've always preferred kde.
molom

Post by molom »

deadguy wrote:I've always preferred kde.
As long it's related to Linux, I will always love it. No matter what DE/WM it is. I just really got sick Mac after using it for 3 years and don't find Windows fun to use.
FastGame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FastGame »

It's sad to see the Mint user-forum revert to PCLinuxOS bashing, I only hope the PCLOS user-forum continues supporting Mint as it has......

I'm sure Clem will be disappointed in some.

BTW, as a long time Mint user I applied the so called "PCLOS hack" and voted for KDE.
molom

Post by molom »

FastGame wrote:It's sad to see the Mint user-forum revert to PCLinuxOS bashing, I only hope the PCLOS user-forum continues supporting Mint as it has......

BTW, as a long time Mint user I applied the so called "PCLOS hack" and voted for KDE.
I didn't want to offend anybody. I just don't like KDE. I don't hate PCLOS for its success in the Linux Community. I know it is one of the best KDE distros and thats why its at the top on distrowatch. I was just making a little joke and I don't see why it would offend anyone. To tell the truth I haven't even tried many KDE distros that are amazing, all I've tried was Knoppix, Suse and Kubuntu, which I all didn't like. I don't hate or dislike anyone for liking or using KDE or any KDE distro. I apologize for any pain that the comments on this topic has caused to you and any PCLOS users.

Is there any background on this issue of PCLOS hackers? I've never heard of a PCLOS hacker in any forums. Is it a harmful comment that was taken elsewhere?
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

molom wrote:
deadguy wrote:I've always preferred kde.
As long it's related to Linux, I will always love it. No matter what DE/WM it is. I just really got sick Mac after using it for 3 years and don't find Windows fun to use.

yes I agree!!!

I love gnome almost as much as kde :D (I use both)

I need to try xfce and enlightenment sooner or later!

one things for sure though, I like all the Linux DE/WM's better than vista!!!(or any version of windows)
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

FastGame wrote:It's sad to see the Mint user-forum revert to PCLinuxOS bashing, I only hope the PCLOS user-forum continues supporting Mint as it has......

I don't think anyone meant to "bash" PCLOS!!

I've used PCLOS and it's great!!!

however, I prefer mint kde ce over it.

thats the thing, it's all about what works for you the best!!!

PCLOS,Mint,Fedora,Redhat,Ubuntu,Suse,Slackware,ect... it's all Linux :D

I think it's cool to have soooo many choices!!!
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

FastGame...............just opinions, take it easy. I have pclos on two boxes in my house.

I do however believe there is some monkey business going on with the pclos phr at distrowatch.
Pikey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pikey »

Thats a bit over the top surely !! This is just one thread after all ...
molom

Post by molom »

deadguy wrote:

Having such a variety can be bad in some aspects. Having such a variety keeps Windows/Mac users away from using Linux because they don't know what to choose from all the linux distros.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

molom wrote:
deadguy wrote:

Having such a variety can be bad in some aspects. Having such a variety keeps Windows/Mac users away from using Linux because they don't know what to choose from all the linux distros.
this is true as well. to them I would say "try mint!!!" (waving the mint flag high as always) :D
molom

Post by molom »

KDE seems to be beating Gnome by some few votes. I once loved KDE, but now I love gnome for its beautiful simplicity.

What do people see in KDE as their favourite? I just want to know, I love hearing opinions. I don't hate KDE, I just dislike its huge amount of options and its menu, but for some it suits them.

And one more thing. What do people want to see in the Mint e17 distro?

Cheers,
molom
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I like Gnome the best. Gnome has never let me down and gtk apps just seem to work. The Gnome interface is clean and streamlined with no unnecessary clutter. Gnome is easily tweaked for performance and uses very little memory.
molom

Post by molom »

exploder wrote:I like Gnome the best. Gnome has never let me down and gtk apps just seem to work. The Gnome interface is clean and streamlined with no unnecessary clutter. Gnome is easily tweaked for performance and uses very little memory.
I like e17 the most and XFCE the second one I like the most, but gnome should still be the default for Linux Mint. Gnome is the easiest to use to change windows users to linux users. KDE is too breakable if you don't know what your doing, I've had my previous experiences with KDE.

Cheers,
molom
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

molom wrote:Gnome is the easiest to use to change windows users to linux users.
On the contrary, a lot of people say they dislikes KDE because it is "too like Windows"...
molom wrote:KDE is too breakable
I guess it depends on the distro because in my distro in dual boot with Mint I use only KDE and I never crash of KDE or applications ... everything is very stable.
I never broke KDE unlike Gnome where that happened to me once in a while a few years ago (in Ubuntu)

I use this distro for a year now and I even made the upgrade to the new version (yes unlike Ubuntu upgrade works perfectly :-)) and... I'm very happy! :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
molom

Post by molom »

linuxviolin wrote:
molom wrote:Gnome is the easiest to use to change windows users to linux users.
On the contrary, a lot of people say they dislikes KDE because it is "too like Windows"...
molom wrote:KDE is too breakable
I guess it depends on the distro because in my distro in dual boot with Mint I use only KDE and I never crash of KDE or applications ... everything is very stable.
I never broke KDE unlike Gnome where that happened to me once in a while a few years ago (in Ubuntu)

I use this distro for a year now and I even made the upgrade to the new version (yes unlike Ubuntu upgrade works perfectly :-)) and... I'm very happy! :lol:
KDE is like Windows. I admit it. Ubuntu doesn't look like windows. But Linux Mint (gnome) is probably one of the most Windows looking distro I've ever seen. I've had some issues with kubuntu's settings like changing the menu options and setting some other options. Gnome isn't very customizable and thats why its unlikely to breakdown compared to KDE. If you know what your doing you shouldn't have a problem. I've tried PCLOS on Christmas 2007 and it was dreadful in my opinion, not the distro, but KDE itself. That's just my opinion though, some might say I'm stupid to think that KDE isn't a good DE and I respect their opinion. Some people that use KDE as their primary DE tell me its breakable if you aren't experienced. e17 is very customizable and it doesn't break down often, it crashes, but not because of the changes you make.

Cheers (Thanks for your opinion),
molom
molom

Post by molom »

KDE has 50% of votes!!! That is unexpected...

Return to “Chat about Linux”