Help me clean up my Grub

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lendo

Help me clean up my Grub

Post by Lendo »

I have LMDE, Mint 11, Slackware, AntiX and Debian 6 all installed. When Grub updated in LMDE it added multiple listings for Slackware and AntiX. How do I reduce the amount of lines it shows? I'd like to only have the main and safemode for each.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lendo

Re: Help me clean up my Grub

Post by Lendo »

Here's what I get from sudo update-grub, but when grub loads Slackware and AntiX show 4 times each.

Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: linuxmint.png
Found Debian background: linuxmint.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-1-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-1-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-2-amd64
Found Linux Mint 11 Katya (11) on /dev/sda1
Found Debian GNU/Linux (6.0.3) on /dev/sda6
Found Slackware Linux (Slackware 13.37.0) on /dev/sda7
Found Debian GNU/Linux (wheezy/sid) on /dev/sda8
done
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

There are ways around.

Using grub legacy from AntiX to control your MBR is one such way.
Then chainload all other OS from antiX.
For simplicity, antiX will then provides its own regular and safe mode, the rest of OS will have ONE line only.
Each time when computer boots up, you get antiX grub legacy screen ( nice wall paper there) , if you want to run LMDE, choose it and it will chainload to LMDE grub2 menu, which has a few lines ( up to you to keep, usually two for each kernels, you can always delete the unused kernel and get it neater).
The advantage for using grub legacy is, your grub menu will be fixed by you, it will not change until you want to.
For the Debian based and straight Debian, each time you upgrade a kernel, there will be two more lines added, as time goes by you can have 10-20 lines for just LMDE or Debian.

If you like to use grub legacy to control MBR, I can help provide more details on how to do so.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

This is what I use to control the excesses of grub2:

https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

Although like wayne128, grub legacy is my main boot loader and will remain so for a very long time, possibly forever. The customizer just tidies up all the unwanted crud in the grub2 menus that I chainload from legacy.
Lendo

Post by Lendo »

Didn't work :(

Return to “LMDE Archive”