Issue with booting 3.0.0-1-amd64

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
anperri

Issue with booting 3.0.0-1-amd64

Post by anperri »

Hi guys,
I have used linux mint 10 and 11 before and i loved it right up to the point where my last comps motherboard went poof. This time around I wanted to try linux mint debian. I still need windows for school for programs such as Autodesk Inventor, Matlab, and others...With this site i was able to successful dual-boot
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/04/23/ho ... windows-7/
Everything went well, (i had to change where the update source were coming from debian sources to linux mint debian source. but now updates flow easily) however after updating, there in a new addition to my GRUB 2 list (after windows bootloader)
"LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.0.0-1-amd64"and "LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.0.0-1-amd64 (recovery mode)" ...with the non-recovery mode being set as default, while it is booting it doesn't throw any apparent errors but once it is done "populating the dev list..." the screen blacks out and nothing pursues...(same happens with recovery mode). However I also have the options of "LinuxMint GNU/Linux, with Linux 2.6.39-2-amd64" and its recovery mode which work fine.

I was just wondering how i can go about fixing 3.0.0-1 or it I should just change it so 2.6.39-2 to be default (as it works)...and if i should do that how to do it...

I kinda don't like having to babysit my computer through its boot up to press the arrow key as a certain time so it would be nice to fix.

This may belong in the boot issues forum, I just posted here as I am a newbie.

So you guys have any ways i can fix this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Issue with booting 3.0.0-1-amd64

Post by viking777 »

Well the easy part first. To make the older kernel boot first just use a root text editor to modify /etc/default/grub and change the line

GRUB_DEFAULT="0"

to whatever number the old kernel is on your list.

Then save the file and run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
The reason why the 3.0 kernel wont boot is much more of a problem. I would start by booting into the 2.6.39 kernel opening Synaptic and marking the 3.0 kernel for reinstallation then trying again. The kernel is actually called "linux-image-xxxxx" in synaptic. Whilst you are there right click on the entry and see if it has any 'recommended' extras to install along with it. I would also adopt the same procedure with the "linux-headers" package for the 3.0 kernel.

That is all pretty basic stuff, so not exactly guaranteed success, but worth a try until you get some other ideas from somebody else.
anperri

Re: Issue with booting 3.0.0-1-amd64

Post by anperri »

Thank you for your help (The grub change worked perfectly) so no I dont have to deal with this issue that with my 3.0 kernel. I have marked them for re-installation (anything linux ...3.0...64) using synaptic and so far no change. I just wanted to let you known I am still very thankful for the help concerning the grub.

Return to “LMDE Archive”