Regarding Mint 9 LTS Isadora

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sunewbie

Re: Regarding Mint 9 LTS Isadora

Post by sunewbie »

Kilz wrote: For those coming from Windows, expect the alpha, beta, and final release to be different than you are used to. In the Windows world Beta software is pretty polished and everyone is safe running it. Not so on Linux, beta software could still have some mighty bad bugs still needing to be fixed. The steps are about one place off,an example, Windows beta = Linux release.
The reason is that in Windows you are paying for the software, so it is expected to have fewer bugs. In linux you are getting it free, so you have to chip in and do something, find bugs!
seems you have different opinion for windows in your signature ;) :D :D
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

sunewbie wrote: seems you have different opinion for windows in your signature ;) :D :D
My opinion on windows is that its poorly designed, and done by a company with no ethics. That they have back stabbed partners and users in the past. Examples of this are to numerous to name but a few are Stacker, Novell and Wordperfect, and the numerous security holes they call viruses. They call them viruses because its better than saying we have an operating system that looks like swiss cheese. I have been windows free since 2007.
But I will say that in the windows world betas are more polished , as said before because people expect more from something they are going to pay for. That said I prefer the Linux way where the end user reports bugs, and they are actually fixed most of the time.

But new Linux users tend to install the latest code, something they should avoid imho. The newest code is what is full of bugs. Most of the time the newest version isnt that big a step forward that a new user should take the risk of problems, leave that to experienced users. If your first step when finding a bug is to post to a forums asking for "any ideas" its probably a good idea to hold off on new versions for a bit.
I help a few schools with Linux and never install the newest version, always one step back. I also take care of my brothers computer, and while he bugs me for the new versions, its at least a month or two after release before I even think of putting them on his computer.
I will give Mint a big thumbs up though. After running Ubuntu since Dapper Drake, Mint replaced them as my favorite with Mint 10. I also think the forums here are more free for people to express opinions.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Kilz wrote:
My opinion on windows is that its poorly designed, and done by a company with no ethics. That they have back stabbed partners and users in the past. Examples of this are to numerous to name but a few are Stacker, Novell and Wordperfect, and the numerous security holes they call viruses. ..

But new Linux users tend to install the latest code, something they should avoid imho. The newest code is what is full of bugs. Most of the time the newest version isnt that big a step forward that a new user should take the risk of problems, leave that to experienced users. ...
I completely agree with you :) :D
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

After some time on Scientific Linux 6, I finally came back to Mint 9, because it was very convenient.

Indeed, everyone talks about Mint 12, but Mint 9 LTS makes a lot of sense...

I still run the latest when it comes to browsers, just install Ubuntu Tweak, and add the PPA's you need... Very easy...

As of OOo instead of LibO, I don't really mind, as I use Google Docs most of the time...

I am very happy with Gnome 2 until mid 2013... I am confident Mate will be great by then...

BTW, my Mint9 is now all blue !!! (no more green)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MATE has lots of potential. I've heard that you can add the Ubuntu backports on outdated versions, is that the same thing you are talking about using Ubuntu Tweak?
KBD47
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I agree with both of you.

Till end of 2012, both gnome3 an MATE would be mature. There is one more fork called bluebubble developed errr forked by a Fedora developer.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

There is a Gnome 3 Classic/Fallback spin of Oneiric 11.10 which I'm pretty impressed with named Freezy Linux. I think in time there will be many good options for those wanting a classic desktop. I think Gnome Classic/Fallback will make it to the next LTS, if so you should be able to install Mint 13 and log into Gnome Classic, which is very similar to Gnome 2, you just use the alt key when you right click to adjust the panel, move the panel, add applications, etc. So it is likely there will be options next spring in the LTS releases.
KBD47
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

KBD47 wrote:There is a Gnome 3 Classic/Fallback spin of Oneiric 11.10 which I'm pretty impressed with named Freezy Linux. I think in time there will be many good options for those wanting a classic desktop. I think Gnome Classic/Fallback will make it to the next LTS, if so you should be able to install Mint 13 and log into Gnome Classic, which is very similar to Gnome 2, you just use the alt key when you right click to adjust the panel, move the panel, add applications, etc. So it is likely there will be options next spring in the LTS releases.
KBD47
i think MATE is also a good option. Clem is offering both gnome 3 and MATE (which behaves exactly as nome 2 - as Clem says). So I think, as far a Mint is concerned. Regarding Ubntu, it is a good option. Gnome 2 is mature and no need to completely change the interface, atleast for desktop PC. Gnome 2 just needs to be maintained, which, I think, is the objective of MATE.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I've been playing around quite a bit in the 12 RC with MATE and I like it, yet it could use a bit of polish. Hopefully by Mint 13 LTS it will be close to what Gnome 2 is right now.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

Robin wrote:Releases are supported for 18 months, not just 6. Upgrading to the latest version is OPTIONAL. Two more can be released and "seasoned" by updates and bug fixes in the time it takes one to run out of support. If 6 months is too fast, then just wait awhile! No hurry, no mandatory upgrade. If the LTS is too old (let's say, a year or two into it's 3-year lifespan), just go up one or two versions - always staying at least one behind the latest release for the stability you need.
Thank you, Robin! You've actually answered 2 questions with 1 answer. I was worried about staying behind one release, as usually, new releases not only provides new features, but also enhanced security. Glad to hear your input.

I've had some negative issues with Mint 12, to be specific, graphic driver updates for my AMD Radeon HD 3200 card. All is fine, until I apply the suggested driver update. I don't believe it's a Mint problem, as I've used the OS since Gloria with little issues. Hopefully, the next version will be LTS & this issue will be fixed.

Many Thanks,
Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

catilley1092 wrote: Thank you, Robin! You've actually answered 2 questions with 1 answer. I was worried about staying behind one release, as usually, new releases not only provides new features, but also enhanced security. Glad to hear your input.

I've had some negative issues with Mint 12, to be specific, graphic driver updates for my AMD Radeon HD 3200 card. All is fine, until I apply the suggested driver update. I don't believe it's a Mint problem, as I've used the OS since Gloria with little issues. Hopefully, the next version will be LTS & this issue will be fixed.

Many Thanks,
Cat
Glad that you found a solution, a sensible solution. You may not be aware but Robin is no more with us. Robin was an asset, mature, wise beyond his age. He will stay in our hearts.

The passing of one of our own
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I found a link describing Ubuntu LTS and non- LTS versions

http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Debian_vs_Ubuntu

It says, Non-LTS versions are based on Debian's Unstable branch, while LTS versions are based on Testing Branch.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

I actually prefer LTS releases, but Mint 9 started appearing a little old to me early last year. Skipped 10 completely, went for 11RC. That release had no bugs (for me).

However, I still have a Mint 9 install inside of VBox. I have little, if any trouble installing the latest versions of browsers & other software. It also runs on less resources than 11 or 12 does.

Looking forward to the next LTS from Mint. It should, as always, be a great one that I can run at least a year & a half.

Sorry to hear about our fellow member's passing. But Robin's knowledge & posts will continue to educate & inspire others.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I too prefer LTS versions, but need some of updated softwares, mostly flash, browsers and LibreOffice. Mint 12 with Cinnamon is not bad at all, though not free from UNITY. It has unity-greeter (login screen). Recent update has installed lightDM :)

After a mess, as I described earlier, I installed Mint 12, as mint 9 was too old and installing too many updates and then manually updating all apps would loose it's LTS advantage.

I will install Mint 13 and stick to it till I find any need to upgrade, or may even install LMDE XFCE, (seems stable enough), though would not advise any newbie to install it.

Both Gnome3 and cinnamon are evolving, so I may end up installing non-LTS versions too. That is why I have Xubuntu installed. I love XFCE DE.
ancianoman

Post by ancianoman »

You said Mint 9 is now all blue? How did you manage the change?
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

ancianoman wrote:You said Mint 9 is now all blue? How did you manage the change?
I simple installed Mint 13 XFCE fresh install. Formatted drive and went for manual instal i.e. 3rd option

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”