Power Consumption/Heat Kernel 3.0.0-12 x86_64 12rc

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ddaann

Power Consumption/Heat Kernel 3.0.0-12 x86_64 12rc

Post by ddaann »

Hi Guys,

I'm having power consumption/heat problems on the 3.0.0.12 kernel with Mint 12rc . I ran the inxi -F test and got this output. (Clock speeds are on power saving mode in Jupiter). I don't have the sensors installed for inxi, but I can tell you from jupiter that my laptop runs from around 41c-60c, quite a range for doing everyday tasks. Streaming video makes it the warmest.

I have talked to others over on the blog about downgrading the kernel. As soon as that word kernel comes up I am at a loss- I am unknowledgeable in that territory. What is the news on this power efficiency issue? How would I go about doing so? Is there anyway of discovering the optimal kernel to use with my particular machine or is it a case of trial and error?

I have sandybridge which phoronix has mentioned is at issue....when I was running mint 11 I thought I was running nvidia...maybe a cause is there? (I'm not even sure if they perform the same function, of course...).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

System: Host daniel-ThinkPad-X121e Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop Gnome Distro Linux Mint 12 Lisa
Machine: System LENOVO (portable) product 3045CTO version ThinkPad X121e
Mobo LENOVO model 3045CTO Bios LENOVO version 8QET23WW (1.07 ) date 06/16/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-2357M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache 3072 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz (3) 800.00 MHz (4) 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: vesa,fbdev Resolution 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11
Audio: Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: 1.0.24
Network: Card-1 Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver atl1c
IF: eth0 state: down speed: 4294967295 Mbps duplex: full mac: e8:9a:8f:97:5a:04
Card-2 Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver rtl8192ce
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: d0:df:9a:4a:98:12
Drives: HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (6.8% used) 1: /dev/sda HITACHI_HTS72323 320.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 291G used: 21G (8%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 3.13GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info: Processes 165 Uptime 39 min Memory 1061.2/2934.1MB Client Shell inxi

After the initial scare of power consumption and potential increased heat (which I'm not even so sure of as I wasn't that aware of recorded temperatures before installing 12rc) I am becoming more comfortable with running a machine like this. Today is has been cooler, only ever reaching around 50c. The temperatures are mostly average by most accounts...but of course, Linux is a learning process and I can always make my machine run better so I remain interested and slightly concerned...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Power Consumption/Heat Kernel 3.0.0-12 x86_64 12rc

Post by TBABill »

Your temp range is quite normal. Most machines will run hotter under heavier strain, naturally, and the programs that create the higher strain are graphically intensive normally. Videos are especially taxing, made especially worse on weaker graphics cards. Good news is 60C is quite normal and not worrisome. If you reach 80C I'd start to worry, but I would expect most machines won't get out of the 60s unless there are underlying issues.

Of interest to me is the Mac users who own Macbook Pro and Macbook Air models. I was considering one of them until I read about the heat. So many users have experienced temps of 100C+. My machines won't surpass 100C because that's when the sensors kick the machine off. Macs must be able to exceed it, and that is especially troubling with a metal exterior. All that heat has to go somewhere and metal conducts heat more than plastic so I imagine the bottoms of those machines must get really hot to the touch. Way more than my lap will every happily endure for sure.

I wouldn't sweat the issue on your machine if you only ever get into the 60s.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

My laptop stays at 36 with w7. My laptop goes up to 55 with m11 and more on m12. I get about 6 hrs on w7 (battery) and under 2 with m11 & less with m12. So yes, win 7 is looking good on the cards again.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I had done some worrying not long ago about temps on my HP laptop, so I googled and checked literally dozens of sources. While my laptop gets slightly warm to the touch, it never reaches what you would call hot. It usually idles at about 57C and under very heavy load creeps up to about 62C, averaging about 60C. Everything I've read (and it has been a LOT) says that these temps are not at all unusual for a laptop. They just don't have the empty space of a desktop tower, nor the ventilation/fan capabilities. My HP has lasted 2 years now and shows no signs of having problems, so I'm not going to be concerned anymore.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
ddaann

Post by ddaann »

Thanks very much for your answers. My mind is much more at rest regarding the heat issue. The only remaining problem is the high power consumption, but apart from it effecting my electricity bill and the environment, I can live with that. 60c is the max my laptop has reached. It idles much lower, usually around 45c. There is so much info around about hdd temperatures vs. cpu temps, etc., it is hard to get a handle on what are averages I can expect.

Obviously power consumption is at issue, but I doubt I will be rushing to downgrade my kernel.

Would be interesting to hear about other people's experiences of this issue, and maybe some info from a figure of authority as to when it might get sorted. People are suggesting kernel 3.3 will have the necessary configuration. 3.2rc is already on the ubuntu kernel site so maybe it wont be long....

Unless, of course, Clem takes a direct interest in this problem with the kernel.

On other issues, it looks like updates for 12rc have slowed so I expect the arrival of the stable version is immanent.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can install the 3.3 kernel with this how-to as soon as it is released and packaged by Ubuntu: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ddaann

Post by ddaann »

Thanks for the info AlbertP. I will look into this when it arrives, which I guess will be a few months.

Anyone know if kernel 3.3. will actually have the fixes or are we just optimistic? I heard the necessary patch will be in place for that one..
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

Hi ddaann (Dan ?)

Look into this thread and my postings, follow my links. I got my Thinkpad X220 (i5-2520) down to 5.4 W when idle and 7-8 h of surfing.

Not sure if you can use the latest liquorix kernel (it' for Debian, LM Main Edition/Ubuntu read this first!) with the new patches. If yes, you need boot parameter i915... and perhaps vga=844 (like me). This reverts the power regression that was introduced with the 3.0 kernel (change of default behaviour due to bug reports).

If not use a 2.6.39 or 2.6.38 kernel with boot parameter "pcie_aspm=force", which will give you almost as low power consumption (~ +0.8 W in my case).

An idea: perhaps you may try on your 3.0 kernel parameters "pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1" together. This may be sufficient.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

pcie_aspm=force causes some devices (mostly network cards) to malfunction. It's better to upgrade to 3.3 (when it becomes available) to solve the problem completely.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

AlbertP wrote:pcie_aspm=force causes some devices (mostly network cards) to malfunction. It's better to upgrade to 3.3 (when it becomes available) to solve the problem completely.
Yes, my Intel e1000e was affected, but it's closed. AFAIK the thread opener's Atheros AR8151 is not affected.

In any case it's worth a try.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
ddaann

Post by ddaann »

Thanks very much for the answers. I will look into your suggestions...it will take me a while because I barely understood your suggestions in regard to altering configurations and even less how to implement them. But I like this learning process of course. From doing so I will get a better understanding of the configurations that are at play with this issue. People keep mentioning the liqourix kernel too... I'll look into the config suggestions tonight and reply back.

Daniel
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I am running the 2.6.39.3 kernel on Mint 12 and my temps are perfect. I will likely move to the 3.3 kernel when available :wink:
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

ddaann wrote:Thanks very much for the answers. I will look into your suggestions...it will take me a while because I barely understood your suggestions in regard to altering configurations and even less how to implement them. But I like this learning process of course. From doing so I will get a better understanding of the configurations that are at play with this issue. People keep mentioning the liqourix kernel too... I'll look into the config suggestions tonight and reply back.

Daniel

Daniel, if you are running Mint 11, the easiest way to deal with kernels is through kernelcheck. It compiles it for you and you just sit back and watch. It is not available yet for the 3.0 kernel but if you are running a 2.6 kernel, it will do the job for you. I usually just use the typical installation but give it a look.

http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/

Robin
ddaann

Post by ddaann »

Robin: Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I am using 12rc so will be unable to use what you suggest.
ddaann

Post by ddaann »

I've got it. Though currently jumped ship to crunchbang waldorf and loving it. Other machines will remain mint, of course.

pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1

Added straight to grub works brilliantly. I also added TLP, and configured it to turn off bluetooth at boot, and turn on wifi- had wifi off issues from suspend, and from boot for a year or so.........the constant sudo rfkill unblock all.........

Idles at 4 to 5 watts. Yes. Runs at 5-9 mostly, depending on tasks.

Return to “Hardware Support”