Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Capt_T

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by Capt_T »

Hi, could I make a request for testers to look into? I would like to request if anyone can look into making a PAN network using Blueman and Network Manager Please. In Linux Mint 11 in is not so easy. I keep getting the error "network managet does not support this connection". It would be nice if in Linux Mint 12, this would be easy for a novice to do?
Capt_T

Post by Capt_T »

Hi, its me again. Can anyone check if MS Office is compatible with the version of WINE in Linux Mint 12. Thank you.
Capt_T

Post by Capt_T »

I mean really, If ANYONE can help me by sorting this out? You will be a really BIG help. Thank you.
swftech

Post by swftech »

Capt_T wrote:Hi, its me again. Can anyone check if MS Office is compatible with the version of WINE in Linux Mint 12. Thank you.
I haven't installed it myself because I don't use MS Office, but through a quick search it appears that the latest stable version of WINE which is 1.2.3 (which is what's in software manager) is compatible with MS Office 2007 32bit (problems reported for 64bit). What version of Office do you have? There is also a new beta version of WINE "1.3.3" but I haven't found whether or not it's compatible with Office yet.

To check if your version of Office can be run using WINE, view the Microsoft Office entry in the WINE Application Database. http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=31

If your copy of Office is not compatible with WINE, a commercial application called CrossOver Office (which is based on WINE) may still support it. Visit the CrossOver Office website for more information. http://www.codeweavers.com/

This might also help you...
HOW TO INSTALL MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 IN UBUNTU/MINT (UNDER WINE)
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/01/how-to-i ... 07-in.html
buntu

Post by buntu »

Capt_T wrote:MS Office
WHY NOT USE LIBRE OFFICE? http://www.libreoffice.org/ even OOo! :idea: :roll:

why to use sof designed 4 winBUG$ on penguin's platform :?:
Sydneywizard

Post by Sydneywizard »

buntu wrote:
buntu wrote:How to get PEAR OS?
:x
Try http://www.pear-os-linux.fr/. As always, Google is your friend. Note that they only distribute 64 bit.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Just looked at the iso test page...two of the iso's have been approved for stable release. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I looked there and saw all four of them with "approved" status :)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Wow, you're right. Clem is fast. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

Just saw the same thing. Already have the RC on my machine, but I have not used it yet... Have only looked around and updated. I assume there is no need to reinstall the final (when it is released to the public).
Roku

Post by Roku »

What do you mean ISO page? Is the final version ready? Where can I download it? :D
davidbfoster

Post by davidbfoster »

You can find the iso page at the following link.

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

I found no way of downloading the final release, however. I'm sure this is simply a current status page. It won't be too much longer :)
Roku

Post by Roku »

Oh, ok, thanks for answer :D
But is it better if I wait and download final version or it doesn't metter so I can download RC version now and then just update it?
davidbfoster

Post by davidbfoster »

I was wondering the same thing, and didn't find an answer in the forum. Anyone else have solid advice?

I'm just going to wait for the final release to avoid potential issues. Maybe I'm just being overly conservative.....

Really looking forward to giving "Lisa" a spin! Hats off to the entire build/test team!!!
tridentcore

Post by tridentcore »

well still waiting for the final release... for the best result.. hahaha...

maybe developer consider to add more built-in multimedia application or productivity, more than a CD capacity is no matter for me... boot from USB Flash Drive is my daily for now... But I still like Mint they way it was right now...

NUMBER ONE in DistroWatch... 3 years with Mint for me is great...
Capt_T

Post by Capt_T »

Thanks. I have to use MS office to view other peoples stuff. And if someone wants to borrow my laptop, Its convenient for them. So I keep a copy of Ms office 32 2007 around for that. But Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into them.
Has Anyone got a chance to see how well Bluetooth PAN between 2 Pcs is supported? With Blueman ones gets a error "Network Manager does not support this connection". I Need to be able to link my Linux Mint to a Windows PC, the Windows Pc has a wired connection but no wireless.
Thank you.
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

Just seen on softpedia that Lisa has been released. Downloading now from heanet mirror :)
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

Just successfully updated and restored Mint 11 backup to Mint 12. One problem I now have is that scores of restored folders and files were changed to root in my home directory. Can someone provide me with the terminal command to use to change all my folders and files (in the "home" directory") from root to me.

Thanks

sudo chown me root - BUT HOW TO SAY EVERYTHING IN THE HOME DIRECTORY
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Just installed the stable release to my netbook. I had no trouble installing the RC to a usb stick, but the stable install on my hard drive was a pain, first time I ever had trouble with a regular Mint install. When it got to the point of taking my picture, the forward button was hidden under the bottom panel and I couldn't advance, I ended up crashing the installer, had to start over, but I removed the bottom panel before trying the second time, I still had some trouble getting to that forward button, but finally made it. Everything seems pretty solid and working now. I opted for the Gnome Classic log in after having kicked around the RC version and checking everything out earlier. Less drama and less tweaking with gnome Classic, if the Gnome devs will keep their hands off of it and leave it alone I will have a working classic desktop for awhile :-)
KBD47
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

chown has a -R (recursive) parameter, so you could carefully do ALL files.
I would use a full path name and do you need to change the group name too?
Think about any symbolic links you may have.
This is risky, so read the man page first.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”