Linux Mint 12, and beyond?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

Should Linux Mint...

Maintain There Own Distro
34%
Follow Ubuntu
15%
Follow Debian
44%
Other (tell me in the comments)
6%

Total votes: 306

Nick_Djinn

Re: Linux Mint 12, and beyond?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Yes, Simply Mepis is a lot more polished than LMDE.

AntiX would be a better base than vanilla debian, imo. Anti-X being the minimal install with Icewm/fluxbox or one other one....You can spruce it up with docs or install Gnome on it.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Nick_Djinn wrote:Yes, Simply Mepis is a lot more polished than LMDE.

AntiX would be a better base than vanilla debian, imo. Anti-X being the minimal install with Icewm/fluxbox or one other one....You can spruce it up with docs or install Gnome on it.
Yes, Mint might have been better off starting with either of those rather than pure Debian. By now LMDE might have been completely noob friendly if they had.
KBD47
swiftlinuxcreator

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

I'm the founder and lead developer of the lightweight Linux distro Swift Linux. I find it ironic that a few of you think LMDE should be based on antiX/MEPIS at a time when I'm switching Swift Linux from an antiX/MEPIS base to an LMDE base. MEPIS Linux is good, but LMDE is much better. antiX/MEPIS doesn't have the superior driver/codec support of LMDE. For example, LMDE plays DVDs while antiX and MEPIS do not. LMDE is also evolving much more rapidly, and the Linux Mint team is accomplishing much more than the MEPIS team.

Linux Mint is the distro that I recommend for first-time Linux users. Mint sets the standards against which all other distros should be judged. In fact, I chose GitHub for version control and Launchpad.net for bug tracking because Linux Mint uses them.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

Mepis has it 's character, reminds a bit the KDE 3.X

It is a serious, KDE-centric distribution. Also, it is well known for it' stability. LMDE does not have a KDE suit so far. It points also to Testing -Stable is the "solid rock" staff! So, we cannot compare directly those two distros -apart from codecs support, installer, flexibility, how ready they are out of the box, etc..

Antix is a very nice distro. Installing pure debian in my laptop will take me more than thirty minutes, and then i ll have to add non-free repos and multimedia, just for the wireless to be activated. Antix is up and running in about ten minutes or less. It comes with wm's only so it is very simple to transform it in anything: xfce (my favourite) , kde etc..

LMDE Xfce seems more complete but, in my opinion, it lacks in this: it comes with many gnome applications and libraries, a really annoying thing. They did not want to present the "ideal", Xfce-centric desktop.
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

Mepis is a great distro. It is stable, has very good support for hardware and very light compared to other KDE distros. It has also very good battery support. Unfortunately, repositories for it ain't great. And using other deps lead me to a broken desktop. Also, it really lacks good localization.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

utsuwa wrote:Mepis is a great distro. It is stable, has very good support for hardware and very light compared to other KDE distros. It has also very good battery support. Unfortunately, repositories for it ain't great. And using other deps lead me to a broken desktop. Also, it really lacks good localization.
Hmm, I've got it dual-booting on a desktop computer and it has been solid for more than 6 months. It has an active community and any problems I've had were quickly solved. I have seen a few problems with repositories. But I first learned Linux on Mepis and I probably did everything possible to mess it up and it never broke and still works well. This has caused me to wonder, and suggest a few times, that perhaps Mint LMDE would be well served to offer a rolling version based on Debian Stable, instead of Testing, for newbies, a distro that would be very hard to break. Might not have the latest software, but would be great for someone wanting a rock solid distro or simply for newbies.
KBD47
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

One solution would be to have info/instructions in the release notes for those that want a stable system. If you change the repo for security to squeeze and substitute the word stable for testing in the others all updates will cease except security updates. It would then be pretty difficult to break the system. I did this a year ago for a neighbor and he's been very happy with it ever since.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

tdockery97 wrote:One solution would be to have info/instructions in the release notes for those that want a stable system. If you change the repo for security to squeeze and substitute the word stable for testing in the others all updates will cease except security updates. It would then be pretty difficult to break the system. I did this a year ago for a neighbor and he's been very happy with it ever since.
That is a good idea. Someone more knowledgeable than me should write a wiki for it or start a thread or something. I also wonder how hard it would be to just set up a Debian Stable Mint version, maybe with an Xfce desktop, and a select version of reliable software, and those repositories you mention, maybe call label it "Mint Stable".
I mentioned having trouble installing LMDE in Virtualbox and to a usb stick, how easy/difficult is it to install LMDE to a hard drive? SimplyMepis has a great, easy to use installer.
KBD47
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

KBD47 wrote:
utsuwa wrote:Mepis is a great distro. It is stable, has very good support for hardware and very light compared to other KDE distros. It has also very good battery support. Unfortunately, repositories for it ain't great. And using other deps lead me to a broken desktop. Also, it really lacks good localization.
Hmm, I've got it dual-booting on a desktop computer and it has been solid for more than 6 months. It has an active community and any problems I've had were quickly solved. I have seen a few problems with repositories. But I first learned Linux on Mepis and I probably did everything possible to mess it up and it never broke and still works well. This has caused me to wonder, and suggest a few times, that perhaps Mint LMDE would be well served to offer a rolling version based on Debian Stable, instead of Testing, for newbies, a distro that would be very hard to break. Might not have the latest software, but would be great for someone wanting a rock solid distro or simply for newbies.
KBD47
It depends on the reps. Also, I was doing an install for one of my friends that needed ibus and all the languages stuff. And it was a nightmare. Of course I didn't try the new Mepis. It was the 8.5 version (whichever is the previous). Maybe they have all the necessary stuff now. Last time the problem was that Mepis by default would always choose "own" reps over any other. So you had to disable them completely. Then comes upgrade or installation of a package, that will conflict with the Mepis' own package in reps and stuff - and everything breaks.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I used Mepis11 and had it on my netbook for awhile as well. Really beautiful distro, polished and surprisingly fast on my netbook. Really the only thing I didn't like about it was its poor font rendering, but I've also seen that in Kubuntu, so it may be a KDE thing. I know that when I installed Kubuntu desktop onto Ubuntu 11.10 it ruined my fonts and even after removing the Kubuntu desktop it left horrible font rendering behind, had to remove the fontconfig file to get it looking good again.
KBD47
utsuwa

Post by utsuwa »

KBD47 wrote:I used Mepis11 and had it on my netbook for awhile as well. Really beautiful distro, polished and surprisingly fast on my netbook. Really the only thing I didn't like about it was its poor font rendering, but I've also seen that in Kubuntu, so it may be a KDE thing. I know that when I installed Kubuntu desktop onto Ubuntu 11.10 it ruined my fonts and even after removing the Kubuntu desktop it left horrible font rendering behind, had to remove the fontconfig file to get it looking good again.
KBD47
I think it can be fixed if its a fontconfig issue. I never saw any problem like that with any other KDE distro, nor with 8.5 Mepis. :D
windsphere

Post by windsphere »

I choose Debian only if you can auto install the OS with out using gparted. Most people have no clue on how to do this. Another is the Nvidia drivers auto install or ask if you want to install it. It is hard to get away from ubuntu with these features, if your new to Linux. I do like Gnome 2.xx desktop.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

windsphere wrote:I choose Debian only if you can auto install the OS with out using gparted. Most people have no clue on how to do this. Another is the Nvidia drivers auto install or ask if you want to install it. It is hard to get away from ubuntu with these features, if your new to Linux. I do like Gnome 2.xx desktop.
The Debian installer is actually really good (I wish LMDE used it, since I want the option to encrypt my system on install).
NRD80V

Post by NRD80V »

Hi
Linux Mint 11 is better than Linux 12, in my personal opinion to download & install.

The software manager of Linux Mint 12 Lisa 64 Bit is hanging frequently.
Yet, Linux Mint 12 Lisa is great to use

It is soothing to see the desktop and work.
The default application list with Samba Framework is really great.

I could not update the system well... there were some failures in the hit list of depositories
Yet, the performance is not affected.

I find that it has some similarities with Unity of Ubuntu (a side bar for favorites in the application menu) but this is faster than Ubuntu 11.10

Really a good system to use and this can certainly replace windows and other such OS.

Yours
VN
gnimmelf

Post by gnimmelf »

Sorry folks ;-) but mint 10 64 bit "performance" on the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor, and stripped from eye candy, with goole chrome 17.0.942.0 dev, is still the fastest by far...... ( i tried them all from 9 debian, lxde etc
both on performance and internet browsing speed!
Maybe the clever guys should pick it up from here instead?

kind regards Gnimmelf
colspeed

Post by colspeed »

I have used Ubuntu for 4 years and have been very happy until now. Everything after 10.04 has been fat, slow and buggy. I downgraded to 10.04 and recently upgraded directly to 12.04LTS hoping for an improvement. The same day I got rid of it and installed Mint12 - wonderful.
Do what you like, but don't follow Ubuntu too closely!
Thanks
tomast

Post by tomast »

I voted for "Follow Debian" but I was referring to Debian Stable :D
lutterworth

Post by lutterworth »

i posted : follow ubuntu
right now it has the most thrust (and probably most money investement) of all linux desktops
also they are going the userfriendly way
its because of them i made it into the linux world and i am happy with them, but i do not like unity or gome 3
because of their confusing and not really ergonomic desktop design.

gnome 2 is perfect in its simplicity and how it is easy accessable from the mac and the win world
and thats what we want - right? ...to make more people come out of the corporate prison.

as i said i came over to mint because i do not like unity and gnome3 and i hope that mint does not do too much experimenting with desktop,
but with user-friendlyness esp in the multimedia sector / codecs and stuff
i like it also because it is stylish, but not overdesigned.

keep it simple should be the guiding line, but much power under the hood

dear mint people, thanks for all considerations, for all the work you are doing

lutter
Sannaj

Post by Sannaj »

There are 4 possibilities what to base on:
a) Making an independent Distribution
b) Basing on Ubuntu
c) Basing on Debian
d) Basing on something else

In the beginning it appears to be best if you make Linux Mint Independent. In the view of some people only independent distributions are considered as the only true ones. Over there you would get the full control over the system and stop relying on any externalities. But if you get closer, you will realise that there are a lot of downsides of this. First of all, maintaining an independent distribution takes a lot of time, in terms of just managing and maintaining thousands of packages. On condition of the success of our distro has been, that the developers needn't do the ugly basic management themselves, so the could spend their energy on improving the existing bits and producing tools witch make the system more usable. On top of that, it has been quite useful that Linux Mind could considered being basicly Ubuntu in various aspects, e.g. in case of troubles, or for exotic programs. So in my point of view, there isn't much evidence for getting all independent.
Another possibility would be sticking to Ubunutu. The main problem with that is not being dependent on Canonical's latest ideas, but more technical ones. Since Linux Mind now use Cinnamon instead of Unity, I expect that there will be some technical problems based on the technological problems. Also there will be some troubles with applying Ubuntu manuals to Linux Mint, since the difference between the two systems has risen in the past. So if someone still assumes a similarity between both aspects in relation to the two systems, it would be difficult for him to realise that he has assumed wrongly. So staying with Ubuntu has it disadvantages as well.
Basing on some completely different system would create a lot of troubles as well: If it's a Debian based distribution you could just base on Debian itself, if it's based on Ubuntu you could just base on this system as well. In case its a distribution witch bases neither on Ubuntu nor on Debian, you would have to change a lot of things in the system, so this isn't the way to go as well.
So the final possibility would be basing on Debian. Debian has no favourite Desktop Environment, so using Cinnamon won't case any troubles. The only problem would be, that you either have to base on the super restrictive stable Releases of Debian, becoming a rolling release distro, or to host all packages for the releases ourselfs. But the Debian way is still the most convincing one in my point of view.

I would suppose making a Debian unstable based Release. LMDE will follow the roling release cycle from it. Evey half year, we are going to make a frozen copy of it witch will become the stable version of Linux Mint.
davidmitchelstow

Post by davidmitchelstow »

I believe mint team should continue to develop cinnamon and KDE based on Ubuntu, slowly merging the projects into a single OS, then try to place this on top of Debian, then, when and if it's appropriate and feasible, attempt to make the Debian based edition the main edition. This could take a while. Dabbling with xfce might pay off so I wouldn't abandon it, but use it as another "view" of how things can work. Yet, I believe that the merging of the KDE OS and the Cinnamon OS multi featured with with easy to install forms of cairo-dock and something similar to KPager, as optional add-ons, would satisfy the needs of those seeking basic functionality and eye and ear candy quite nicely. This last step could be done first actually and attract even more users in my opinion. Along with this last suggestion I would try to change the complicated sound set up in KDE to one more like that in Cinnamon.

This view I have is not well informed since I know little to nothing about programing etc. So I look forward to the corrections of this idea that devs might like to add.

Oh, and give regularly folks, a small monthly donation will add up and big donations might slip our minds far to easily, a strong steady flow of money even from small regular donations could be of great benefit in my opinion. Ideas without financial backing are useful, but with the backing in place real possibilites can emerge far more quickly.

DMS

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”