Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mikolodz

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by mikolodz »

frank392 wrote:this is the worst mint release ever :(
i guess i will stick to 11
No, no, It's not Mint. It's GNOME3. At the beginning, as an Windows user i thought i'm doing sth wrong, but it seams there are different standards than in M$ stuff. I'm not saying Mint ain't good, because it's very stable and easy to use. Unfortunately it changes nothing in terms of being usable for ATI users... The worst thing about that is it would be almost perfect OS for me if gnome process hadn't been killed almost every time I try to open the menu (top left corner). Of course you could say "so don't use official ati driver", but it's not that easy. Without catalyst, my PC is getting very hot, Archon 2x14cm seems to be running at 100% rpm in idle. In addition i have the audio connected to the LCD which is connected to the pc with HDMI cable. Without catalyst i do not have sound. The last thing - vsync or maybe not even vsync but performance? When i'm moving any window it's not even close to smooth. It's jumping as the frame-rate was 10fps, not 60.
It's not the problem of my HW. In Windows 7 or in Ubuntu 10.04lts everything is great and really fast. The same problem exists in Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 11.10. Not only on my PC, but on the notebook too. My notebook has radeon hd4670 and the desktop hd6970. I think gnome devs should spend much more time on ATI cards compatibility. The only difference between "gnome not working" in Mint and Fedora is that when gnome-shell is killed in Fedora it throws an error. Here on Mint nothing happens. Everything disappears and comes back after a while. I'm so disappointed...
Anyone knows is there anything i could do to make it work?
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

The Recorder wrote:Just a note to all. I'm running the RC, and just received about a half a dozen updates to Mate and Gnome 3. Gnome 3 has been running fairly well, but Mate and Gnome Classic don't really work (even after the updates). Don't think that the "OK'd for release" iso's that are out there are really Clem's "last word".
It was okayed for release. Otherwise, I would not have downloaded from Softpedia. Of course, I'd download Mint 12, when Clem officially releases it. I hope the RC with upgrades would be just as good as the final Mint 12. By the way, I am not interested in Mate or Gnome Classic. I've installed Cairo Dock on Gnome 3 as it responds faster then the Gnome 3 Applications Window. There is a lovely LM menu in Cairo Dock.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

mikolodz wrote:
No, no, It's not Mint. It's GNOME3. At the beginning, as an Windows user i thought i'm doing sth wrong, but it seams there are different standards than in M$ stuff. I'm not saying Mint ain't good, because it's very stable and easy to use. Unfortunately it changes nothing in terms of being usable for ATI users... The worst thing about that is it would be almost perfect OS for me if gnome process hadn't been killed almost every time I try to open the menu (top left corner). Of course you could say "so don't use official ati driver", but it's not that easy. Without catalyst, my PC is getting very hot, Archon 2x14cm seems to be running at 100% rpm in idle. In addition i have the audio connected to the LCD which is connected to the pc with HDMI cable. Without catalyst i do not have sound. The last thing - vsync or maybe not even vsync but performance? When i'm moving any window it's not even close to smooth. It's jumping as the frame-rate was 10fps, not 60.
It's not the problem of my HW. In Windows 7 or in Ubuntu 10.04lts everything is great and really fast. The same problem exists in Fedora 16 and Ubuntu 11.10. Not only on my PC, but on the notebook too. My notebook has radeon hd4670 and the desktop hd6970. I think gnome devs should spend much more time on ATI cards compatibility. The only difference between "gnome not working" in Mint and Fedora is that when gnome-shell is killed in Fedora it throws an error. Here on Mint nothing happens. Everything disappears and comes back after a while. I'm so disappointed...
Problems have always existed for ATI video cards and graphics hardware in Linux but not because of a fault in Linux nor any particular desktop environment made for Linux (Gnome, KDE, LXDE, etc). The fault lies strictly with ATI with this one and not Linux or Mint or Gnome 3. Nvidia in comparison happily built quality drivers for it's hardware for Linux based distros and Intel HD drivers are already built into the Linux kernel. As far as your problem is concerned I've heard that downloading the latest video drivers for Linux directly off the ATI website and installing them often helps. I've also read in these very forums that the open source ATI drivers actually work better than the proprietary ones in some cases. It all depends on the type of hardware really.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Skellgon

Post by Skellgon »

Hi everyone!

Can you tell me when LM12 is going to be officially announced on the homepage?
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

so far for me, close, but no cigar.

then again, any rc version can be light years away from the first REAL deployment. :mrgreen:
Geedunk

Post by Geedunk »

Hello ppl,

I just have one question.
I want to intall mint in my new laptop, but i dont want to install mint11 because mint12 is around the corner.
So... my question is, if i install mint 12 RC, i will be able upgrade to final/stable release from RC? Or i need a new and fresh install?

Thanks in advance,
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Skellgon wrote:Can you tell me when LM12 is going to be officially announced on the homepage?
When it's done. Simple as that.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Geedunk wrote:Hello ppl,

I just have one question.
I want to intall mint in my new laptop, but i dont want to install mint11 because mint12 is around the corner.
So... my question is, if i install mint 12 RC, i will be able upgrade to final/stable release from RC? Or i need a new and fresh install?

Thanks in advance,
Usually that is the case. At this point, it depends on why the final iso's were pulled back off of the mirrors. I don't know if that will still apply if the final needs extensive revamping.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

where's the "show the date" option that still seems to be missing from the date and time settings in m12rc?

if something as simple as that hasn't yet been implemented, the m12 first stable release probably has a long way to go. personally, anyone that new to mint would be best to start using m10.

if m12 is really needed/required, just save yer data and reinstall to the newer version. for most folks, that'll mean docs, bookmarks, and email - all to easy to save and move over to the new linux.
Savta_Simcha

Post by Savta_Simcha »

I've been using Mint since version #8 while having Ubuntu installed in a different partition at the same time. Except for Mint 11 which didn't seem to get along too well with some of my gadgets (my MP5 player), I've updated every time when a new version was released and been satisfied. I downloaded Mint 12 RC and have been testing it as a live session user and have been comparing it to different distros most notably Ubuntu with the Unity desktop and OpenSuse 12 (gnome 3.2). Of all the distros, Mint 12 is without a doubt the most versatile and compatible.
I have very little substantial criticism to offer except that I do miss the possibility of right clicking on the status bar and adding launchers. As well I'm disappointed that the workplace switcher doesn't allow me to send my programs to whichever place I would like with a right-click and choice from a pop-up menu.
Other than that, I really like the new distro and will definitely install it as my primary OS when the final version is released (which I hope will be soon).
mikolodz

Post by mikolodz »

kmb42vt wrote:
mikolodz wrote:
Problems have always existed for ATI video cards and graphics hardware in Linux but not because of a fault in Linux nor any particular desktop environment made for Linux (Gnome, KDE, LXDE, etc). The fault lies strictly with ATI with this one and not Linux or Mint or Gnome 3. Nvidia in comparison happily built quality drivers for it's hardware for Linux based distros and Intel HD drivers are already built into the Linux kernel. As far as your problem is concerned I've heard that downloading the latest video drivers for Linux directly off the ATI website and installing them often helps. I've also read in these very forums that the open source ATI drivers actually work better than the proprietary ones in some cases. It all depends on the type of hardware really.

IMHO you're right about ATI. It's not right, when people spend hundreds of dollars on their high-end graphics and they just don't care. Althoug ATI is a bad character there for OS users, GNOME isn't perfect either. For example ATI drivers are working perfectly under Ubuntu 10.04. It's something about ATI and Gnome3 not cooperating and that makes me sick. Gnome3 ain't so young they could not test it on ati cards and search for solution how to make it work or even communicate with ATI devs telling them where sth goes wrong. I'm gonna try open source drivers as you suggest. Hope it will work... :)

----------------------------------

I've tried open source driver again. Like always - everything is great and smooth, but:
1. I don't have any sound, cos i'm connected with HDMI cable (audio is connected to the display)
2. My GPU and CPU are going to explode IN IDLE! Archon 2x14cm spins at its full speed. (i don't have sound working and that's not really music for my ears)

Anyone knows what could i do to configure this opensource ati driver not to use full power in idle?
Please...help me.. :P
Last edited by mikolodz on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

ATI does not work well with KDE on Mint DE either. Not sure why. :?
swftech

Post by swftech »

rfd wrote:where's the "show the date" option that still seems to be missing from the date and time settings in m12rc?
The "show date in clock" is in Advanced settings, Shell tab.
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

swftech wrote:
rfd wrote:where's the "show the date" option that still seems to be missing from the date and time settings in m12rc?
ah, there it is, hidden away ... thanx. would've been easier to just add a click box to the date/time window.
swftech

Post by swftech »

rfd wrote:
swftech wrote:
ah, there it is, hidden away ... thanx. would've been easier to just add a click box to the date/time window.
Yes your correct, once again though, it's a change that Gnome 3 made, "not" a Linux Mint change!! Actually I've been looking for a way to remove the day of the week from the clock. I just want the time up there nothing else, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.
Shadowfax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowfax »

Been running 12 as a dual boot making changes as suggest by this forum. Despite my
initial outrage at gnome3 I think I can get used to this thing. Just wish we could get
the top bar on the bottom and keep all the notifications. I'm probably a mint lifer now
as long as nothing to radical appears in future editions.

Thanxs to the developers...I know you work tirelessly at this with little or no
compensation. You must be doing something right because your on top now
as far as distrowatch is concerned...
swftech

Post by swftech »

Shadowfax wrote:Been running 12 as a dual boot making changes as suggest by this forum. Despite my
initial outrage at gnome3 I think I can get used to this thing. Just wish we could get
the top bar on the bottom and keep all the notifications. I'm probably a mint lifer now
as long as nothing to radical appears in future editions.

Thanxs to the developers...I know you work tirelessly at this with little or no
compensation. You must be doing something right because your on top now
as far as distrowatch is concerned...
Not sure about moving the top panel, but I've found that turning off the bottom panel and adding a dock helps a lot. I use CairoDock but AWN and Docky will both work too. What's cool about a dock like Cairo is that it also has it's own notifications and even a Mint menu which you can see in the screenshot of my current desktop. http://i.minus.com/im7SHbRDS0R8i.png
Holy Diver

Post by Holy Diver »

I have modified items in my main menu of Gnome 3 via alacarte and then Menu icon cleared off of the bottom panel. And I don't know how to repair it. The preference "Advanced Menu" shuts off in the Advanced Setting (Advanced Shell) at once after Advanced Setting closing. Any idea, please :?:
buntu

Post by buntu »

@ CLEM: where r u hidden?
davidbfoster

Post by davidbfoster »

/dev/urandom wrote:ATI does not work well with KDE on Mint DE either. Not sure why. :?
I have AMD Catalyst 11.11 running flawlessly in LMDE. Not sure how you went about installing, but this is how I did it after a fresh install......

1. Download 11.11 from AMD's site
2. Right click on the downloaded file and make it executable
3. Double click the file and choose to open in terminal
4. Install process is smooth from there
5. Reboot
6. Right click on Admin mode icon and change launch properties to gksu amdcccle
7. Double click Admin mode icon, make your changes, then reboot. All should work fine....

I have eyefinity across 3 27" screens and they work flawlessly. In fact, of all distros I've tried, and there are MANY, LMDE was the easiest of all to configure my graphics cards (2x 6970's in crossfire). If you have any questions let me know.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”