unable to setup bridged internet connection

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sudheerprabhu

Post by sudheerprabhu »

Hi, I'm new to mint 12.

I have a broadband connection which has username and password. (bridged connection). I use to setup this under DSL tab in old versions of Mint.

I am able to connect to internet through pppoe over ethernet where I have user authentication setup in my router(DSL modem)
:?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: unable to setup bridged internet connection

Post by mank_in »

Do you mean mobile broadband connection ?
In MATE just right click network manager,than edit connection.
In Gnome-Shell (MGSE) , find network connections in menu.
sudheerprabhu

Post by sudheerprabhu »

Mine is wired internet connection using a broadband modem/router.

In Mint 10 I have set it by setting DSL tab under networkmanager.
In windows 7 I set it by using dialup modem (PPPOE) setup option.

In Mint12, there is no DSL setup option available. I could successfully connect to internet by using pppoeconf (and subsequently by pon dsl-provider and poff) in terminal. However I could not set internet connection via network manager.
livingvirtual

Post by livingvirtual »

Even I'm having the same problem I can't edit a bridged connection nor can I edit Mobile Broadband Connection. I have seen this problem in various other distributions like Fedora. However, I have no troubles when connecting a bridged connection in Ubuntu 11.10. So this is something I guess that the GNOME maintainers forgot about :mrgreen: . Since most of the user base consists of direct-line connection ones which just have to be plugged into the LAN port and you're connected. I am also facing some issues with the driver of Broadcom 4311 which I guess I can resolve however the DSL thing is really annoying. :cry:

Marvel
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Too bad nobody reads the Release Notes anymore . . :roll:
Local repository and GnomePPP
GnomePPP is not installed by default but it is present within the default installation of Linux Mint. Your Linux Mint system comes with a local repository which is disabled by default. You can enable it by removing the comment sign "#" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/local-repository.list and refreshing your APT cache. This repository contains GnomePPP as well as a collection of drivers.
livingvirtual

Post by livingvirtual »

Actually things used to work out for me pretty well so I didn't bother reading it however, I have no idea how the method that is specified over there is carried out? Can you tell me how? :?:
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@livingvirtual,
the answer was not aimed at you. I was replying to the topic author.
please do not hijack other member's threads. Start your own topic.
livingvirtual

Post by livingvirtual »

Ah I know but could you post a solution so that I can just sort it out? :)

Return to “Hardware Support”