[Given Up] LM12: Compiz-Fusion Doesn't Work

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kpresler

[Given Up] LM12: Compiz-Fusion Doesn't Work

Post by kpresler »

Hey all!

I'm quite new to Linux Mint, so please be patient with me here :oops: I've run Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 for several years at this point (starting with 7.04), but I feel that it's been going downhill recently. The new user interface was what really did me in. I'm not willing to only have Win7, however, so I went searching for a new Linux distro, and Mint caught my eye. So far, I've been quite happy with it. I've been able to customize the interface to my liking and install some of the software I enjoy from Ubuntu. I have not, however, been able to get Compiz-Fusion working. I've read that some people have been having issues where certain C-F plugins aren't working: that's not my issue. Compiz-Fusion does absolutely nothing. Here's what CCSM looks like for me (I can show any particular page if it would help).
If the picture looks strange above please click here

Do you guys have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I've used Compiz-Fusion in Ubuntu ever since I've had hardware capable of running it, but I've never had this issue. BTW, I tried the "Cairo" option from the login wrench, and Compiz worked there, but I couldn't stand not having the top panel.

Thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pfjap.paco

Re: LM12: Compiz-Fusion Doesn't Work

Post by pfjap.paco »

From what I understand, Gnome Shell is deeply integrated with the Mutter window manager, which replaces the Compiz-Fusion window manager from Gnome 2. Because of this, Gnome Shell users pretty much don't have any way of using Compiz-Fusion effects in Gnome Shell, which means no desktop cube for now :( . However, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before someone codes together some Compiz-Fusion-style extensions for Shell.
kpresler

Re: LM12: Compiz-Fusion Doesn't Work

Post by kpresler »

pfjap.paco wrote:From what I understand, Gnome Shell is deeply integrated with the Mutter window manager, which replaces the Compiz-Fusion window manager from Gnome 2. Because of this, Gnome Shell users pretty much don't have any way of using Compiz-Fusion effects in Gnome Shell, which means no desktop cube for now :( . However, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before someone codes together some Compiz-Fusion-style extensions for Shell.
Well that's disappointing. Thank you though! Now I know to stop wasting my time on it. :)
saxoli

Re: [Given Up] LM12: Compiz-Fusion Doesn't Work

Post by saxoli »

Hey everyone!!

Compiz works in MATE, but when you change session to Gnome3 (Gnome Shell) you get problems.

Just put "compiz --replace" in startup applications but....

...only use Compiz in MATE and don't chance to Gnome3.

Greetings,

Oliver
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

For me it works with compiz via Gnome Classic login option. It is flickering sometimes when rotating cube, but it works.

But is this "compiz --replace" call via startup commands the proper way of enabling compiz?

One interesting thing I noticed:
when activated compiz the Alt+Rightclick trick on the gnome panels does not work anymore - one has to switch to metacity to configure the panels.
hufter

Post by hufter »

Someone posted a comment on the news that he has gotten Compiz and it's Cube working with mate. I'd like to know how.

"compiz --replace" for me makes titles and borders disappear. Compiz starts, I can even get Desktop Cube, though is more like a desktop rectangle (only two sides), although I tell it in workspace switcher that I have 4 workspaces in 1 row.
I tried "gtk-window-decorator --replace", but it didn't help.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Works great in Gnome Classic :wink:
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

hufter wrote:Compiz starts, I can even get Desktop Cube, though is more like a desktop rectangle (only two sides), although I tell it in workspace switcher that I have 4 workspaces in 1 row.
Yes, I had this problem as well. Check the workspace settings in compizconfig-settings-manager via "Common Options" => "Desktop Size" (sorry if my re-translations are not correct)

I assume the gnome panel workspace switcher does not work correctly, because it does not display the workspaces contents (app icons) correctly as well and sometimes highlights the wrong workspace.

Try it out and please notify here if this works for you as well! :)
hufter

Post by hufter »

nsk7even wrote: Yes, I had this problem as well. Check the workspace settings in compizconfig-settings-manager via "Common Options" => "Desktop Size" (sorry if my re-translations are not correct)
Yes it works, thanks. Now I just need the decorations to work, so I can actually use it.
louisblank

Post by louisblank »

I just installed Mint12 last night and I was looking for a way to get compiz working as well...

When I used to use Ubuntu 10.10, I used a dock and got rid of the top and bottom bars - I wanted the same thing on Mint.

Just found it and it's not complicated get it working. I have Wobbly, Previews, Animations, Cube, all working (without using MATE or Classic).

Here is a video that explains it...

http://youtu.be/29AW5HZN904
To get this going: go to software center and install cairo-dock core and run it from the desktop you are in.

Now log out and click the icon from where it lets you choose your desktop - you should see an option for cairo-dock(gnome+effects) log into it.

Now you can install compiz and your favorite effects.
Have fun with it!

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”