Linux Mint 12 DVD will not boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dbbolton

Linux Mint 12 DVD will not boot

Post by dbbolton »

I downloaded the Linux Mint 12 Gnome amd64 image from one of the primary mirrors in the US. I then verified the sha256 sum. I burned the image with Brasero, and it reported that the burning was successful. A visual inspection reveals no noticeable smudges or scratches (it was a new disc that I had just removed from the package). This is the same procedure I used to burn version 11, which boots successfully.

When I get to the boot menu, I select the option to verify the disc contents, and this error message appears

Code: Select all

Loading isolinux: Disk error 20, AX = 426A, drive EF
This is the same error I get when I select the default boot option. I haven't yet tried compatibility mode, but I suspect it will be the same.

I tried booting the DVD in another computer. This time the error message was

Code: Select all

Invalid or corrupt kernel image
It seems very strange that the DVD gives two different error messages on two different machines.

I saw this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 62&start=0
but no clear cause was determined. One post suggests burning with a different application, but I don't see how that would matter, and I have no reason to believe that re-burning the DVD will give different results.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rjs

Re: Linux Mint 12 DVD will not boot

Post by rjs »

I've not had a problem with the Lisa 12 images, and I'm not sure if your issue is hardware / software related, but I'll give a bit of tech advice.

The newer machines and drives burn mega-coaster with poor quality cd/dvd's. It's just the way it is. You might try burning an image, and when you get to the burn menu, set the rate for burning down from MAX to say 6 or so. Slow the burn down and you'll have less coasters with poor quality media. I've noticed this within the last year or two, the dvd,cd manufacturers such as Memorex are taking major shortcuts and producing less than good quality media. Even on good drives such as Asus they burn more coasters when the burner software is set to max. But when you slow the burn down, it usually solves the issue as long as your burner is still good. That or maybe the download is corrupted.

Just some thoughts...
dbbolton

Re: Linux Mint 12 DVD will not boot

Post by dbbolton »

rjs wrote:I've not had a problem with the Lisa 12 images, and I'm not sure if your issue is hardware / software related, but I'll give a bit of tech advice.

The newer machines and drives burn mega-coaster with poor quality cd/dvd's. It's just the way it is. You might try burning an image, and when you get to the burn menu, set the rate for burning down from MAX to say 6 or so. Slow the burn down and you'll have less coasters with poor quality media. I've noticed this within the last year or two, the dvd,cd manufacturers such as Memorex are taking major shortcuts and producing less than good quality media. Even on good drives such as Asus they burn more coasters when the burner software is set to max. But when you slow the burn down, it usually solves the issue as long as your burner is still good. That or maybe the download is corrupted.

Just some thoughts...
I'm using an ASUS F3J which is from 2006. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if the drive were going bad.

I selected the "auto" speed. I'm not sure if it attempts to burn as fast as possible or not.

I decided to risk another DVD and this time burned with K3B and selected the lowest available speed: 4x. K3B warned that either the device or the media wasn't capable of burning at that speed and increased it to 8x. I also verified the written data and the DVD boots, so it seems like it was either a bad DVD or Brasero's fault.

Return to “Installation & Boot”