My LMDE installation/update & hardware issues experience

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Viking78

My LMDE installation/update & hardware issues experience

Post by Viking78 »

Hello unknown friends! My first post here so guess posting this in the Newbie Questions-forum isn't wrong :lol:

First, just a little background about my linux experiences so far:
First distro tried was Ubuntu 6.04. Used linux as main system since Ubuntu 8.04
After Unity i started distrojumping, so my last Ubuntu was 10.04.
After trying some distroes like OpenSuse, Fedora and Debian in Virtualbox,
I ended up with LMDE (liked the menu and the fact it's a rolling distro.
Used it as mainsystem until a couple of weeks ago,
then my system breaked, but I really liked Mint so I had a hard time again
finding a better distro so ended up with Mint11, and Mint9 on the older computers.
When I got problems again, I reinstalled back to LMDE, cause as I already
mentioned, I really liked, and still like it and haven't found anyone better.

Now were starting to get to my questions, about time maybe?
I got 4 computers, and I really like to use the same disto on everyone,
but this isn't so easy as it sounds. I'm having a hard time with 2 of them.

#Computer1: amd quad, am3 motherboard -works fine with LMDE kernel 3.0.1

#Computer2: intel dual, lga775 p5b motherboard, gf7800 -works fine with LMDE kernel 3.0.1

#Computer3: acer emachines e727, intel gma4500m -works with LMDE kernel 2.35.9?, only black screen with 3.0.1

#Computer4: amd singlecore, socket a motherboard, gf7200 - works with LMDE kernel 2.32.5, kernel panic when updating.

Am I "daydreaming" running the same distro on my computers?
I guess I don't need to upgrade the kernel on those who got issues after updating, but how are chances they will work in the future?
I changed repo to latest on #computer1 and I'm planning to do the same on the other computers.
The oldest one isn't so important so I'm considering running Debian Squeeze again on it, as it worked well,
but I missed the Mint-menu when I work on it. Is there anything I can do to report back problems and issues about this?
I have an old Launchpad account I used when I was using Ubuntu (did a little bit of translating), but haven't used it much lately.
Should I report my problems there? Hope someone can help me out a bit. I'm not an expert on linux but I try my best to learn.
I've been told I can be stubborn, so I don't give up so easy, but I'm having a hard time when my systems breaks.
Is there any way to back up before updating? Or roll back to last known working?

(I can/will fill in more details about the computers if requested, have to check but this is what I had in my memory for the moment)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: My LMDE installation/update & hardware issues experience

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from the main forum
spandey

Post by spandey »

How much RAM do you have in #3 and #4? Hope you are installing 32 bit version on them not 64 bit one. You can get Mintmenu in Debian Squeeze!!!
Viking78

Post by Viking78 »

Thanks for reply.
I have 4GB RAM on #3 (installed x64) and 512MB RAM on #4 (installed x32),
but I think I got a solution for my little problem:

I changed repos to latest on #1 & #2.
I changed repos to squeeze on #3 & #4.

I have tried before the LMDE Squeeze setup http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/497
without luck, had problems with 404 error on the ftp.us repos.
Changed that to norwegian repos with the help of http://www.debgen.simplylinux.ch
Updated all computers now, everything seems okay.
Hope this solution is okay to recommend.
Viking78

Post by Viking78 »

After a year I suddenly remembered this thread, and with the celebration I can give a quick update how it went:

Decided quick to change stable repos to testing again, then I tried incoming, and so latest.
Then I read that changing from testing to those last two wasn't recommended so changed back.

Today all my computers I use at every-day basis has LMDE pointing to testing.
The old machine are running on Debian Stable quite fine.
Up next is sid in vm.

Happy Krampus to all LMDE-users, contributers, and all the staff and partners involved at LMDE & Debian of course!

Return to “LMDE Archive”