A few tweaks for MATE

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
rryan

A few tweaks for MATE

Post by rryan »

Hello, first time posting on Mint forums (or any linux forum for that matter). Gnome 2 is the only desktop I've ever really been happy with so I'm really excited about MATE and have been working with it for a couple days trying to tweak it to make it work better for me. So I'm posting this to share a few things I've come up with so far. Some have for sure been mentioned in other posts on Mint forums but theres a couple I'm pretty sure I came up with on my own.

First an easy one, in Control Center there is no option to set up a screensaver. All you need to do is go into Software Manager and install xscreensaver. Theres a bunch of packages with extra goodies for it available as well if you like that sort of thing, I know I do. Installing this package gives you screensaver option in Control Center. When you first run it it will popup a dialog asking if you want to start it, go ahead a click yes. To make it run on startup, go to the Mint Menu-> All Applications(if your menu is on favorites) -> Preferences-> Startup Applications, click the add button. Put screen saver or whatever you want in the name field and in the command field type:

Code: Select all

xscreensaver -no-splash
Now that left me happy enough to start with on my desktop so I turned my attention to the laptop. So once I had Mint 12 installed and my MATE session going I noticed the lack of battery/power controls. I found an acceptable (to me) solution for this on Mint Forums. In Software Manager install xfce4-power-manager, and add that to Startup Applications same as you did for xscreensaver. For the command field simply type:

xfce4-power-manager
So now I have my laptop in a more usable state. I log into a Gnome 3 session to see if i dislike it any less. Opinion hasn't changed so I switch back to MATE. I notice that it doesn't play the Mint startup sound which is so much better than other OS's startup sounds in my opinion and makes me smile everytime I turn on the computer. If you want it back you can add another entry to Startup Applications
and for the command add this line:

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
Now I'm pretty pleased with my desktop, feeling good about trying to make this work instead of going back to an older distro, so I start poking around and at some point press the Print Scren key. This gives me an error saying that if tailed to execute 'mate-screenshot', no such file or directory. To fix this we make a symlink from gnome-screenshot to mate-screenshot, open a terminal and type this stuff:

cd /usr/bin
sudo ln -s gnome-screenshot mate-screenshot
Now when you press Print Screen you can take a screenshot just like normal.

Heres hoping that these few things will be helpful to some people or even better that they become uneccessary as MATE matures.
ajwats81

Re: A few tweaks for MATE

Post by ajwats81 »

Thanks a lot! The lack of power management was baffling me. I always remove the screen saver, but I like to have the battery icon in my tray on my netbook, as well as be able to set "close lid" to suspend. Thanks again!
fabiops

Post by fabiops »

Very nice! thanks!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

The

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
does not work on Linux Mint 14.1 Mate but it works on Cinnamon :roll: :roll:

Return to “Tutorials”