Working battery icon in Mint 12

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xpartmgr

Working battery icon in Mint 12

Post by xpartmgr »

I am new to Linux, but so far I've been pleased with Lisa. I have a problem on my laptop. I would like to know how much power is left in my battery. Right now I have no icon. This is not good because when running on battery power I have no idea when my laptop might just quit.

Can someone point me how to add this battery monitor or even suggest a replacement monitor (i replaced network-manager with wicd due to problems after I came out of hibernation and it works great now).

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Working battery icon in Mint 12

Post by KBD47 »

Are you using MATE in Mint 12? If so, it doesn't have the battery icon, but MGSE and Gnome Classic should have the battery indicator. In MATE you can install xfce4-power-manager and launch it from the terminal to get the battery icon in your panel. You can then add it to your startup menu to keep it in the MATE panel, but be aware that this will then give you two battery icons in the panel in MGSE and Gnome Classic.
KBD47
xpartmgr

Post by xpartmgr »

Thanks for your reply. I went out and installed xfce4-power-manager. I opened terminal at typed xfce4-power-manager. Nothing happened. I assume it ran the program but there are no icons in the try. I just added it to the start up applications and restarted, but I still do not have an icon. Now to be clear, I have whatever desktop or shell or whatever that comes in the DVD version of Mint 12. I think it is MGSE, so I am not sure about Mate. I hate being a rookie at this, but I am determined to part ways with Windows.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xpartmgr wrote:Thanks for your reply. I went out and installed xfce4-power-manager. I opened terminal at typed xfce4-power-manager. Nothing happened. I assume it ran the program but there are no icons in the try. I just added it to the start up applications and restarted, but I still do not have an icon. Now to be clear, I have whatever desktop or shell or whatever that comes in the DVD version of Mint 12. I think it is MGSE, so I am not sure about Mate. I hate being a rookie at this, but I am determined to part ways with Windows.
I'm talking about for MATE. Not sure why Gnome isn't showing your battery icon. Log out and log into MATE click on that cog-like icon to get the option for MATE, then try launching xfce4-power-manager.
xpartmgr

Post by xpartmgr »

OK, so I have been logging into Gnome and not Mate. To be honest, I like Gnome better. It has a cleaner look and seems more up to date. I went ahead and logged into Mate and did as you suggested, but still no batter icon. I would actually rather continue to use Gnome (I assume it is Gnome 3???). Any other suggestions? Honestly so far I have been quite pleased with this new version. I love moving my mouse to the top left corner and getting the quick view type thing to see my open applications.

Once again thanks for your help.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I honestly have no idea why your power indicator is not showing up :( Hopefully someone with more ideas will have an answer.
Ivor Hardy

Post by Ivor Hardy »

What have you got in your top bar...???
xpartmgr

Post by xpartmgr »

In my top bar I have my network manager (wicd..I replaced network-manager), the shield for the updates, the volume, the time and my name (it drops down with a menu).
xpartmgr

Post by xpartmgr »

KBD47 wrote:Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I honestly have no idea why your power indicator is not showing up :( Hopefully someone with more ideas will have an answer.
Hey I appreciate you trying. Thanks again.
eliayhug

Post by eliayhug »

it worked for me but i had tried something else first.
first i typed sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iaz/battery-status && sudo apt-get update
then sudo apt-get install battery-status
when that didn't work i went to software manager and installed xfce4-power-manger.
finally i went back to terminal and typed xfce4-power-manager.
i don't know if the first two steps were necessary or helpful. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”