The coolest mockup in the world

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
molom

The coolest mockup in the world

Post by molom »

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost3901614

Will this be a new innovation for linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The coolest mockup in the world

Post by carlos »

Could be a real innovative concept if some one where to make it for linux.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
molom

Post by molom »

Yeah I would love it if it came true. There's already one called The Brain, but it lacks looks and usability.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Can someone explain to me why I would wanna waste time following node trees when I can just click on a folder and see all the files arranged in front of me.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

I have to agree. Most often simpler is better. Anyhow, having that fancy program would affect performance.
molom

Post by molom »

Normally node trees or graphical trees are the best way to find things. Imagine brainstorming for a linux project right... You normally have a good set out to know where everything goes and you are less cluttered. With this mockup you have more of a visual image of where your documents, movies and so on are. I personally prefer this for work and multimedia purposes. I find it more organized. I definitely know that it could be a cpu consumer, but there's always room for improvement, e17 has very complicated effects and eyecandy and it's faster than any other KDE/Gnome eyecandy. I know that folders and clicking on files are preferred by some people, but with this tree all you have to do is scroll and click. It's a lot easier than clicking folder after folder and trying to remember, which folder is in which other directory. I just find it easier to know where my files are, I don't have a very structural memory. It's a lot like that Mac OS program on itunes called cover flow, I find it useless and a CPU consumer, but others mind find it to be a visual image of where their albums are located.

I am not saying it's better for everyone. I'm saying it's better for some. I appreciate your comments.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Um, that's the coolest mock-up in the world?

No. I personally don't think much of it...
molom

Post by molom »

nelamvr6 wrote:Um, that's the coolest mock-up in the world?

No. I personally don't think much of it...
Do you want me to place a 'In my opinion' on the title. ;)

Cheers
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

The problem is not whether this is a better way to organise information or not but that it will be a pain to navigate around with a mouse. Imagine having to scroll around all your files as if it was a google map, zooming in and out and dragging the view around... no thank you!
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:The problem is not whether this is a better way to organise information or not but that it will be a pain to navigate around with a mouse. Imagine having to scroll around all your files as if it was a google map, zooming in and out and dragging the view around... no thank you!
I completely respect your opinion. I just want to say that there would be eventually a solution. I prefer it, but there will always be a disadvantage on one and a disadvantage on the other. I would like to see an innovation for this mockup, but this doesn't mean the present navigation system will disappear some day if it ever happens. I don't want to convince you in any way it's better for you to use this. It's better for some, but not all. I just like it, its just my opinion.

Cheers,
molom
molom

Post by molom »

Acid7711 wrote:I feel like I've seen something like this before, only in a video. It feels very messy and unorganized to me. Feels unmanageable a little too. Maybe it's just me.
Maybe it's just you ;)
I know some people would find it unmanageable, but some will like it. It's just a concept to inspire and talk about.

Cheers,
molom
molom

Post by molom »

Acid7711 wrote:
molom wrote:
Acid7711 wrote:I feel like I've seen something like this before, only in a video. It feels very messy and unorganized to me. Feels unmanageable a little too. Maybe it's just me.
Maybe it's just you ;)
I know some people would find it unmanageable, but some will like it. It's just a concept to inspire and talk about.

Cheers,
molom
I realize this, and it's why I posted my feelings on it :D After all, that's why there are a bazillion desktop environments and window managers.
That's completely understandable. When you have any time try out Mint e17 beta, which is going to be released soon. Here is some artwork if you want to know what it will look like ( http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &hilit=e17 ). It's going to be a very nice distro.

Cheers,
molom
molom

Post by molom »

@Acid
How did you manage to crash it so often? Is it a recent version of e17? And what distro were you using? At the moment e17 is pretty much stable, it just has a lack of other DE features, like a system tray and so on. But it still has a taskbar for other people who are used to KDE, Gnome, XFCE and Windows.

Cheers,
molom
molom

Post by molom »

e17 is definately not a full DE yet. It will be pretty much like XFCE in six months. But to be a full DE like KDE or Gnome I think it will take a year and six months. I wouldn't rely on Arch for e17. I say you would have to use something like elive, gOS or Geubuntu. But none of those are polished distros, which is why I joined with the Mint e17 development team.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

there is something similar to this, it's called Bump-Top http://bumptop.com/ though it's only a 3d desktop organizer, basically a way to organize your desktop icons, it is a cool little app, but i'll bet it used a ton of memory.
molom

Post by molom »

McLovin wrote:there is something similar to this, it's called Bump-Top http://bumptop.com/ though it's only a 3d desktop organizer, basically a way to organize your desktop icons, it is a cool little app, but i'll bet it used a ton of memory.
I've seen that, but it isn't practical at all. It is a nice app to see, but who knows we might be heading to DE's or file managers that we never thought we would use.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I do not like the look of the mockup, things look too exaggerated and it does not seem practical.

Just my two cents!
molom

Post by molom »

exploder wrote:I do not like the look of the mockup, things look too exaggerated and it does not seem practical.

Just my two cents!
The future can be exaggerated ;) And maybe people would say in the past e17 isn't even practical ;)
Thanks for your opinion. Its always nice to here someone elses view. Most people have said, 'who cares about that concept, I like the click! click! open folder method' :D

Cheers,
molom

Return to “Chat about Linux”