Gnome Shell Themes compatible with MGSE

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
satya164

Gnome Shell Themes compatible with MGSE

Post by satya164 »

Hi. I've updated all my Gnome Shell themes to work with MGSE. So please check out my dA page -http://satya164.deviantart.com/gallery/33387415

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Gnome Shell Themes compatible with MGSE

Post by bimsebasse »

Hi satya, does that mean you've fixed how the mgse window list extension has its own colour styling now?

Your Minty theme is much better than Mint-Z, shame it wasn't selected as default :?
satya164

Post by satya164 »

bimsebasse wrote:Hi satya, does that mean you've fixed how the mgse window list extension has its own styling now?

Your Minty theme is much better than Mint-Z, shame it wasn't selected as default :?
Yes, the extensions that are styled are, Bottom Panel, Window List and Mint Menu.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Nice! I had just complained that the mgse extension updates meant that they wouldn't fit other themes, but you were already on it :D
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Thanks Satya, I love Minty!!!

The update is wonderful, but there is a problem when using reflection extension (the one that moves the top panel to the bottom). As you can see at the screen capture, when a window is maximized, the bottom part of it keeps hidden behind the panel:

The previous version of Minty didn't have that problem.

Edited:
I found a workaround. Simply copy the contents of the new version gnome-shell.css file starting at the line that says /* Bottom Panel Extension */ and replace with it the contents starting at the same line in the old gnome-shell.css file. Now it looks perfect!!!:
satya164

Post by satya164 »

esteban1uy wrote:Thanks Satya, I love Minty!!!

The update is wonderful, but there is a problem when using reflection extension (the one that moves the top panel to the bottom). As you can see at the screen capture, when a window is maximized, the bottom part of it keeps hidden behind the panel:

The previous version of Minty didn't have that problem.

Edited:
I found a workaround. Simply copy the contents of the new version gnome-shell.css file starting at the line that says /* Bottom Panel Extension */ and replace with it the contents starting at the same line in the old gnome-shell.css file. Now it looks perfect!!!:
Sorry for so much time. But finally I fixed the bug. Seems if a border is not specified for the panel, this happens. Please download from the dA page - http://satya164.deviantart.com/art/Gnom ... -268492415
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Thanks for the fix. :) Is it by any chance possible to apply the same to Mint-Z theme?
Nathek

Post by Nathek »

Yes, I'm not finding anything about /* Bottom Panel Extension */ in any gnome-shell, Minty or else. Can you please be a little more specific?

Satya, I downloaded your theme today. Your changelog says you added a fix but it's still overlapping for me.
satya164

Post by satya164 »

Monsta wrote:Thanks for the fix. :) Is it by any chance possible to apply the same to Mint-Z theme?
It is possible. But I don't think those commits will be accepted to the main theme. I have to make a mod probably.
Nathek wrote:Yes, I'm not finding anything about /* Bottom Panel Extension */ in any gnome-shell, Minty or else. Can you please be a little more specific?
I don't get it! I cannot say about other themes, but all my Gnome Shell Themes fully support MGSE. There are styles for bottom panel, mint menu and window list, at the end of the gnome-shell.css
Nathek wrote:Satya, I downloaded your theme today. Your changelog says you added a fix but it's still overlapping for me.
It will overlap if you manually re-size the window. But it won't overlap when you maximize a window, that's what has been fixed.
screen.png
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

satya164 wrote:It is possible. But I don't think those commits will be accepted to the main theme. I have to make a mod probably.
Can you give a hint about what changes should be made and in what file(s)? :)
satya164

Post by satya164 »

Monsta wrote:
satya164 wrote:It is possible. But I don't think those commits will be accepted to the main theme. I have to make a mod probably.
Can you give a hint about what changes should be made and in what file(s)? :)
I'm not quite sure which of the changes make it possible, but it fixes the issue. I cannot test because reverting one value makes the bug appear again and then cannot be fixed, weird!

Now, you have to edit the file /usr/share/themes/Mint-Z/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css

Look for,

#panel {

/* whatever */

}

and replace with

#panel {
color: rgba(255,255,255,1.0);
background-gradient-direction: vertical;
background-gradient-start: rgba(120,120,120,0.8);
background-gradient-end: rgba(150,150,150,0.6);
border: 1px solid rgba(255,255,255,0.2);
box-shadow: 0 0 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.33);
border-top: 0;
border-left: 0;
border-right: 0;
font-size: 9pt;
font-weight: normal;
height: 2.1em;
}

beware, it will increase the panel height slightly and will give a little shadow, but if they are not there, it does not work.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

@satya164

Your themes are gorgeous!
Thank you for fixing them. I love Minty and Dark Shine.
satya164

Post by satya164 »

Good news, I've uploaded them to a PPA, so that installing will be easier. Just add the PPA and install the theme you want.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:satyajit-happy/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-theme-minty
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-theme-dark-shine
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-theme-elegance
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-theme-aqua
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-theme-shine
sudo apt-get install ambiance-blue-theme
sudo apt-get install evolve-gtk-theme
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

You're a star, satya :D

To anyone browsing this not knowing exactly what is going on:

Minty is the best mint flavoured gnome shell theme, hands down, should've been the MGSE default theme.
Elegance and Dark Shine are two of the most well designed and beautiful non-Mint specific shell themes.
Evolve is, again, one of the best of the still very few Gnome 3.2 compatible window themes.
satya164

Post by satya164 »

bimsebasse wrote:You're a star, satya :D

To anyone browsing this not knowing exactly what is going on:

Minty is the best mint flavoured gnome shell theme, hands down, should've been the MGSE default theme.
Elegance and Dark Shine are two of the most well designed and beautiful non-Mint specific shell themes.
Evolve is, again, one of the best of the still very few Gnome 3.2 compatible window themes.
I'm flattered :)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

satya164 wrote:#panel {
color: rgba(255,255,255,1.0);
background-gradient-direction: vertical;
background-gradient-start: rgba(120,120,120,0.8);
background-gradient-end: rgba(150,150,150,0.6);
box-shadow: 0 0 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.33);
border-top: 0;
border-left: 0;
border-right: 0;
font-size: 9pt;
font-weight: normal;
height: 2.1em;
}

beware, it will increase the panel height slightly and will give a little shadow, but if they are not there, it does not work.
Well, looks like there's no need to copy and paste the whole block. I've found a simpler solution for Mint-Z theme.

1. Look at these lines in /usr/share/themes/Mint-Z/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css.
In my Mint-Z version 1.1.4 it starts at line 373.

#panel {
    border-top: 0px;
    border-left: 0px;
    border-right: 0px;
2. Move the "border" line one line below.

#panel {
    border-top: 0px;
    border-left: 0px;
    border-right: 0px;
3. Reload Mint-Z theme. No need to close and re-open gnome-tweak-tool: just select some other theme, then select Mint-Z again.

Now, as you probably have noticed, in this modified Mint-Z theme the "border" parameter goes after the "border-top" one, while in your Minty theme it's the other way around. :?
If anyone has an explanation of this phenomenon, I'd listen with pleasure. :)
satya164

Post by satya164 »

Yeh, that's one weird behavior I cannot seem to understand.

Return to “Your Artwork”