Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What version of Mint do you use

Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3
15%
Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3 MGSE
9%
Linux Mint 12 - MATE
4%
Linux Mint 11 or earlier
29%
Mint Debian - Gnome
11%
Mint Debian - Xfce
11%
Mint 11 LXDE or earlier
4%
Other...
17%

Total votes: 159

Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Post by Garvan »

I am still using Mint 11, but have downloaded Mint 12 and plan on experimenting with it in VirtualBox this weekend. I am more cautious than usual with this upgrade because of the number of changes. Frankly, I am thinking of switching to LMDE for my main desktop, as I already use it on a netbook and find it okay. For now I still use Mint 11 because I am concerned about the changes the upgrade will make.

I am wondering if others have been equally cautious with these latest changes, or if everybody has jumped straight in to try the new version, sink or swim.

Garvan

PS: If you have more than one version of Mint installed, vote for the one you use most.
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Post by remoulder »

Your description does not explain why you want the poll, they seem to be unconnected.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

remoulder wrote:Your description does not explain why you want the poll, they seem to be unconnected.
Would this have been a better title?

"Which version of Mint are you using, and if you have not upgraded to Mint 12, then why?"

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

I run Mint 9 (main/Gnome edition) both at home and at the office...

Why? Because it is very stable, it works pretty well with my hardware, and has 3 years of support (LTS version). Support for Mint 9 ends at the same time as Mint 12! There is also a 1 year overlap with the next LTS version - Mint 13. Every upgrade to the latest and greatest version comes with a learning curve and sometimes a "migration"... I'd rather minimize the time I spend tinkering with the OS and maximize the time I spend using it for something productive.

In addition, for me, stability is far more important that having the latest and greatest (fashionable) software &/or features. At this point, my plan is to let the community shake the kinks out of the whole Gnome 3 thing for another 6 months or so before I give it a try in Mint 13... By that time, I am hoping everything will be as smooth as silk and rock solid stable...

...just my $0.02! :)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I'm running LMDE Xfce, Everything just works on my machine, It's light, fast, and running cool[after a few tweaks even better]. I can set up my desktop the way I wish too.

I tried LMDE Gnome I had power management and file management problems that I couldn't overlook, after the update to Gnome 3.
Also I was finding myself typing in the program name I wished to launch so as not to have to spend the time looking for it in all the icons on the desktop.[yes there is the dock but how many [huge]icons can I put on it, remember when not on the desk it's a 9in screen] Besides I usually have more than one thing going at a time on my desktop, I can understand having to switch between workspaces when using the 9in. monitor but sitting at my desk and plunged it to the large monitor it's a pain.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I'm running Mint 11. I tried Mint 12 but I'm not ready for all the work it takes to make it look right. Mint 11 has been easy to learn on and help with it readily available. People know what works on it rather than the uncertainty that comes with all the changes in 12. I don't have a cutting-edge system and I don't need a cutting-edge OS.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

I've been using LMDE for about 6 months so far and it's been as solid as a rock. I'm also directly using the Testing repository with the odd package cherry picked from Sid. I've voted Gnome as it is currently my primary DE, but in reality it started off as Xfce as I was dreading the move to Gnome 3. Eventually I installed it just to test it out and it seems to work good enough for me. At the same time however, I can understand why many people don't like it. It's one of those love-hate things with me. :twisted:

As a rolling release, it needs a bit of grooming every now and again and some people might not like the extra work involved in keeping it clean. The advantage of being on the bleeding edge is nice though.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I use Mint 9 Xfce as my primary operating system, for all of the reasons stated by Reorx:
Why? Because it is very stable, it works pretty well with my hardware, and has 3 years of support (LTS version). Support for Mint 9 ends at the same time as Mint 12! There is also a 1 year overlap with the next LTS version - Mint 13. Every upgrade to the latest and greatest version comes with a learning curve and sometimes a "migration"... I'd rather minimize the time I spend tinkering with the OS and maximize the time I spend using it for something productive.
The difference with me is that I am considering moving to Xubuntu 12.04, maybe after the first point release, because I like Xfce and am not sure about Gnome 3.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

I use Lisa-Mate and Katya.
WHY KATYA , because Katya is second attempt to me to try Linux after Natty. Her lays on my old P4 computer ( Katya need less resource than Lisa )
WHY LISA , because my usb modem detected faster in Lisa than in katya ( in katya i must wait about 3 minutes to use internet)
Lisa lays on my main computer ( intel dual core from 2009 )
WHY MATE , because using Mate make Lisa feels like Katya :lol:
tomast

Post by tomast »

I use Mint 7 Gnome x64 because of many reasons.
Mostly because it is rock solid stable and it runs on even the most modern hardware as well as very old hardware equally as well.
The only wish I had was for better WiFi support.
I like Grub 1 , no uuid , Gnome 2 , the fact this it is surprisingly light on system resorces , etc... etc... etc...
Basically it is just exactly as I want , and I know how to do just about anything I need to do with it.
I NEVER do any online banking or personal transactions etc. so I have no worries about Security.
If anything happens , I can just reinstall in about an hour and am ready to go again.
( I do think Mint 9 is a better choice for most laptops because of better hardware support. )

Have tried out every version since Mint 5 , also KDE & XFCE & LMDE variants hoping something better would come along.
But so far nothing has... I kind of think Linux and Gnome in general is going in the wrong direction for my tastes.
Everything is becoming more bloated , complicated , less stable and less configurable. I know most people want
to stay on the "Cutting Edge" of technology , but I guess I am happy just sticking to what I know and like.
But hey , what do I know ? I still use Windows 98se and still play Wolfenstein and Doom II once in a while ;-)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You know that Mint 7 reached end of life a year ago?

On such an old version the repository is down, which means you can't install software as easily as you used to do when Mint 7 was still supported. And there are lots of other reasons why it's not a good idea to use an unsupported release.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
tomast

Post by tomast »

No it didn't reach end of life. Not for me ... Not as long as I still have the ISO and/or disk to install it. ;)
And I can still install programs, at least the ones I want.
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security main restricted universe multiverse
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

not voted.... mint 10/64 gnome on main, mint 10/32 on lappy, mint11LXDE on aspire [upgraded last week]
ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

I'm using Mint 10, because it works and it's faster than LM11 or LM12.
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

I'm just experimenting with Mint 12 on a live USB stick. I actually use Ubuntu 10.04. I'm satisfied with the concept of MGSE, but there are issues such as not being able to enlarge the fonts on the Mint Menu, and I personally prefer just a single work environment. The Mint implementation of Gnome 3 seems to have left off the ability to shut off dynamic work spaces. To be honest Mint 12 / MGSE is more of a proof of concept than something people will actually use or be satisfied with over the long term. It's really hard to see how Gnome 3 is in any way an improvement over Gnome 2. Normally you would expect more versatility, ease of use, and easy configurability. What you have is a sub par desktop with and add on makes it somewhat acceptable, but not actually as good as Gnome 2. I think if the Mint team as the time and energy to make MGSE more configurable with additional extension applets, they might eventually have something. I do appreciate the work they have put into it so far as it saves us from being in a real pickle.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm sticking to LM11 GNOME, while I figure out whether to go KDE, XFCE or LXDE route after this. GNOME 3, even with MGSE, or MATE are just too experimental...
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I selected Other. I used LM 10 - KDE since it came out. Recently upgraded to LM12 and installed KDE Full.

Perhaps it is simply familiarity, but I'm more comfortable with KDE.

Chris
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

None ... I detest ubuntu, have had a growing dislike for that distro since first trying buntu 10.10 ... Horrid and idiotic layout, windows controls reversed for no particular reason, grossly bloated and a resource sucking pig dog. After hearing all the great things about ubuntu ... Ubuntu is gnu/Linux, so forth and other such nonsense, it was a real let down. Since have only ever come across more and more reasons to dislike canonical.

So went with LM 10 for awhile instead and while believe they've earned the reputation as ubuntu done right. Liked it much more and ran better for me than ubuntu. LM ubuntu based obviously does inherit some of the negatives from ubuntu, odd decisions, bugs, bloat = buntu. Had everything running pretty well, after experimenting and learning how to tweak Mint. Things were fine after inflicting mass borkage upon myself and having to reinstall a couple dozen times, lol.

Though always irritated me having software that was so closely related to buntu running. Think LM is a fine distro, but for whatever reasons, my bad feelings towards canonical also extend to derivatives of ubuntu. Won't run or use anything gnu/Linux that's based on canonical's stuff. And Mint's Debian releases were just coming out and having growing pains. At the time didn't want to have to become a computer scientist to use my PC, lol. So went exploring what else is out there, fortunately there is no shortage of stuff to choose from when it comes to Linux.

Went looking around and found distro's I like more, that run better for me and suit my tastes and needs. Sounds like lmde and Mint's Debian based releases are coming along nicely. Planning on trying some of them at some point. Just like stalking the Mint forums and like the community. But will continue using the gnu/Linux I prefer in the mean time.

( feel need for clarification ) Am still a fan of LM, they seem to have something for everyone. Almost certainly have a release just about anyone would really enjoy and be made to run great for them etc. Can't be easy for them trying to please everyone, whatever they choose as a base or whatever. My dislike for buntu aside ... that's just a personal preference and outlook, shrugs.
Last edited by lmintnewb on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

LM12 with MGSE specific extensions disabled (so voted "Gnome 3"). I gotta play with new things, can't help it, so any earlier edition is not an option for me, neither is MATE or fallback.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

Thanks to all that have voted and an extra thanks to those who have explained their current choice of mint. I see a high percentage of "Mint 11 or earlier" users have not opted to upgrade yet, so I am not alone in my caution. I am also surprised that no LXDE users responded, and in the high number of users who picked "other" when I thought I had covered all the options.

Garvan

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”