mintinstall crashes when searching.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martian46

mintinstall crashes when searching.

Post by martian46 »

my mintinstall used to work perfectly (julia 10) but lately as soon as I type the first letter in the search field the whole works completely freeze. No matter how long I wait, no response. I finally have to "force quit" to get out of it. The program is completely unresponsive. But yet I can scroll thru the catagories, even install programs as long as I do not type anything at all. Very irritating because I like the prog (simple to use compared to synaptic) and searching sure is quicker. I've reinstalled the prog a few times with no change. Has someone had this problem before or now. Help me, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spo00n
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mintinstall crashes when searching.

Post by spo00n »

I have the same problem. Tried reinstalling, no change.
I'll let you know if I figure out the problem.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

If more members can reproduce this, I suggest that you report this as a bug ! I am on Mint 9 Xfce, mintInstall ver 7.1.7, and I do not get this error.

a good read in the subforum below on how to report by emorrp1 :

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60&start=0

regards, richy
bill49

Post by bill49 »

I have had this problem since I first installed mint (lxde mint 9 lts) on my netbook. I type one letter and the software manager freezes, and on trying to close, I have to force quit.

Seeing this thread made me think that I ought to file a bug report as richeyrich said, but I thought I would try the software manager again to make sure I had my facts right. I have just done this, and after typing one letter in the search box, it froze as usual. I thought I better check my preferences (press edit - I had never thought to do so before !) and found none of the check boxes were checked. I checked the summary option, and now it works although it is quite slow. One last thing: I found I had to reboot for the change to take affect
charles.timko

Post by charles.timko »

I am attempting to recreate this, but I am unable to. What are your hardware configurations?
martian46

Post by martian46 »

I tried the suggestion of prefs-checking and re-booting, but no change, still freezes at 1st typed letter in search pane. I've tried complete removal then re-installation, also no change. Very few of us have this problem, no one can re-create it, so I'll wait for suggestions or an answer. Everything else with my system is fine, and this problem didn't exist at 1st, it just popped up and bit me one day and won't let go.
martian46.......waiting for some kind assistance, please.
iainrs
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iainrs »

I don't know whether this issue is still active but yesterday I had the identical problems with LMDE - very slow after taking one input character, hanging after inputting password. When I ran from terminal I got the following messages

Code: Select all

$22:37:27>mintinstall
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:250: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
  def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:258: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
  def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 1.126 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.204 ms
add_packages took 1517.610 ms
add_reviews took 523.362 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:525: Warning: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  wTree.get_widget("main_window").show_all()
__init__ took 2137.368 ms
show_category took 5.033 ms
show_package took 345.222 ms
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/aptd_client.py", line 22, in <module>
    transaction.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/defer.py", line 510, in _deferable
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/aptdaemon/errors.py", line 151, in _convert_dbus_exception
    raise get_native_exception(error)
aptdaemon.errors.TransactionFailed: org.debian.apt.TransactionFailed: error-cache-broken:  libwine-bin-unstable libwine-capi-unstable libwine-cms-unstable libwine-dev-unstable libwine-gl-unstable libwine-gphoto2-unstable libwine-ldap-unstable libwine-openal-unstable libwine-print-unstable libwine-sane-unstable libwine-unstable
Killed
$22:40:47 ~ >
I investigated the [libwine] packages listed at the end and ran Package Manager which said I had broken packages ( I tried to install wine using 'dkpg' as per http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p447129 and had a number of errors). I 'mended' these ('wine doesnt work but that's another issue!) automatically with Package Manager.
When I reran 'Software Manager' (from menu) it seems to work normally. It looked as if those 'broken packages' had broken mintinstall.
Don't whether this helps.
Iain
craigus

Post by craigus »

On my mint 12 installation, it doesn't crash after typing the first letter, but it does take a very long time to search for packages starting with that letter, so if I type 'g', because there are so many gnome packages, it will seem to have frozen for quite a few minutes. My machine is a Q6600 with 2G RAM.

This is unacceptable.
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dswaim91 »

I am having this same problem on Maya with the cinnamon desktop. Mintinstall freezes after I type the first letter in the search box. I then have to force it to quit. Any suggestions? I saw a post related to this that said it had been solved, but what is the fix?

Return to “Software & Applications”