Create RAID Array from disk manager LM11-12

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akd

Create RAID Array from disk manager LM11-12

Post by akd »

Here's my problem: in "disk manager"->File->create->raid array I should be able to create a software raid array, am I right?

But I can't figure out how to do it: I have the boot disk and 2 other disks formatted in a 500 gb partition ext4. All disks are 500 gb.

The only disk I can select to build the raid array is the system one: the other 2 are "gray" and not selectable. This happened in LM 11.

I then tried LM 12 in vmware, to play with disks freely. In this case the only selectable disk was the non-system one, and only before formatting in one single ext4 partition as well.

I really can't understand what to do to create an easy RAID 1 array between the system disk and a free one, and then manage and monitor (and in case rebuild the array).
It seemed to be as easy as in windows, where with just 5-6 clicks you have a working array, but I can always see just one available disk a time...

Could anybody help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Create RAID Array from disk manager LM11-12

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
akd

Post by akd »

Thank you very much, but it's not exactly what I need: I'd like to include the OS disk in the raid array, without reinstalling the OS, if possible.

I'd like to understand why there is the chance to create a new raid configuration with a few clicks, and then you just can't: how is required the disk to be formatted, to do this?
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

akd wrote:and then you just can't
Did you actually read the links I gave you? The first one mentions you have to have mdadm installed before you can use disk utility.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
akd

Post by akd »

Yes, I did read them. If I'm not mistaken, the second one talks about create an array between two non-os disks, and the first one (I quote)
In Disk Utility, just access “File->Create->Raid Array…” on the menu and choose the options. Before doing that, you might want to clear off the drives you’re going to use (I generally create a fresh GTP partition to insure the drive is ready to be used as a component of the RAID array).
Apparently I have to erase disks I'm going to use with a new partition, and I can't obviously do that with a system disk...

By the way, I have mdadm installed, althought maybe I'm not so good with it.

Return to “Software & Applications”