Miro - Do you think this is a good app for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Do you think Miro should be installed by default on Mint 5.0

Yes
59%
No
3%
Maybe
No votes
Not sure
3%
Just put in on the Mint Software portal
34%

Total votes: 29

molom

Miro - Do you think this is a good app for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Post by molom »

I found an app that is amazing. Its called Miro. Its a lot like amarok/songbird, but for videos. It is:
  • Open source
    Free
    Stable
    Available on most linux distros including ubuntu
    Available on Windows and Mac
    Has a torrent client integrated
    Can look at video sites like youtube and google video and download the content wanted and afterwards to be stored in the music library.
    It has a video library
    Can play nearly all video files (mp4, divx, xvid, avi, mpeg, mov, etc)
    It can play music
This is the web site ( http://www.getmiro.com/ ). This can replace totem. It would be just like when a Linux distro replaces XMMS with Amarok, its the same kind of switch.

And by the way, tell me what you think of the app. I think its very nice. And also tell me why it should or why it shouldn't be on Linux Mint 5.0.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Miro - Do you think this is a good app for Mint 5.0 (Poll)

Post by McLovin »

i have been using this for a while now, i use to get all the stuff that i watch online, (like dl.tv, system, the broken, etc. etc.) and i have to say..............................................
I F**KIN" LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
i think this should be installed by default for a few reasons,
1) This is a great way to integrate online content into an easy use package that would go right along with what ALOT of ppl come to Mint for, multimedia support. i have seen post after post from ppl saying that was the #1 reason they came to Mint.
2) It would separate Mint from any other distro in the way of being something ppl can turn to for a media center pc, and not have to use Windows to do so, combine this with Myth, and you have everything you need.
3) It will auto dl the videos you want to watch, provided you have it setup to start with you computer, and have tell it to auto dl. then you don't have to search for the videos you want.
Mint touts itself as being multimedia ready ready, this take it further into that territory than other distro out IMO.

but thats just me
molom

Post by molom »

McLovin wrote:i have been using this for a while now, i use to get all the stuff that i watch online, (like dl.tv, system, the broken, etc. etc.) and i have to say..............................................
I F**KIN" LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
i think this should be installed by default for a few reasons,
1) This is a great way to integrate online content into an easy use package that would go right along with what ALOT of ppl come to Mint for, multimedia support. i have seen post after post from ppl saying that was the #1 reason they came to Mint.
2) It would separate Mint from any other distro in the way of being something ppl can turn to for a media center pc, and not have to use Windows to do so, combine this with Myth, and you have everything you need.
3) It will auto dl the videos you want to watch, provided you have it setup to start with you computer, and have tell it to auto dl. then you don't have to search for the videos you want.
Mint touts itself as being multimedia ready ready, this take it further into that territory than other distro out IMO.

but thats just me
I'm totally with you. I think this should replace totem. It has no problems with codecs like VLC and this can solve the issue with viewing and downloading Youtube files as well. Try to advertise this link in other parts in the Mint forums, because I will like to see the opinion of others and see if we can have it even as default. What would even be better for this app is if it had a music library, which is only designed for music. That means you could even replace amaroK. I really liked your opinion on it, I thought no one would want this app.

Cheers,
molom
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

hmm, sounds like a good one.

I'll have to check it out!!
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

It might be worth pointing out that Miro is the new rebranded version of what used to be called the democracy player. Maybe more people are familiar with that then they are with Miro.

Personally I think Miro has shed loads of potential. The early versions were a bit unstable but it should be rock solid by the time Mint 5 comes along so it definitely gets my vote.

What I especially like about Miro is this isnt some guy's pet project he does at the weekend, this is obviously backed by smart business people who wanna see Miro become the next firefox. Which is a good thing cos look at what Firefox has done for the open source "brand" in the eyes of average people.

Edit: Its also worth pointing out that the Miro people have great guides on how to make your own videos because they wanna empower average people as well as indie production companies to upload their own show and revolutionise things. Its hard not to feel warm and fuzzy inside seeing this stuff.
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:It might be worth pointing out that Miro is the new rebranded version of what used to be called the democracy player. Maybe more people are familiar with that then they are with Miro.

Personally I think Miro has shed loads of potential. The early versions were a bit unstable but it should be rock solid by the time Mint 5 comes along so it definitely gets my vote.

What I especially like about Miro is this isnt some guy's pet project he does at the weekend, this is obviously backed by smart business people who wanna see Miro become the next firefox. Which is a good thing cos look at what Firefox has done for the open source "brand" in the eyes of average people.

Edit: Its also worth pointing out that the Miro people have great guides on how to make your own videos because they wanna empower average people as well as indie production companies to upload their own show and revolutionise things. Its hard not to feel warm and fuzzy inside seeing this stuff.
They do have great guides, which is what I was looking at previously. What was one thing that made me a bit confused was the fullscreen option. In the tutorial it seems like you can't remove the controls, but its just like Totem or WMP where if you leave the cursor on the screen the controls disappear, so they should show that function on the tutorial.

I think Clem should take this app into consideration to replace totem for Mint 5.0. To me it sounds like a good idea, it makes Linux Mint seem more integrated. And Miro has so many themes, it also has an itunes theme that looks like an exact replica, which shows that we can make it suit the Mint taste, by making a mint theme. This will even make Mint 5.0 have more of an out of the box experience, and that's what Linux Mints aim is isn't it :) ?

Cheers,
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I wonder if its possible to change the default channels if it was to be added to Mint. Like imagine you load it up for the first time and theres a Linux channel with a bunch of tutorial and news shows relating to Linux. That sounds very alluring to me if its possible.

Hell... maybe it would be the excuse we need to produce some screen cast tutorials on how to do stuff in Mint. Now that would be a huge plus for noobies!
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:I wonder if its possible to change the default channels if it was to be added to Mint. Like imagine you load it up for the first time and theres a Linux channel with a bunch of tutorial and news shows relating to Linux. That sounds very alluring to me if its possible.

Hell... maybe it would be the excuse we need to produce some screen cast tutorials on how to do stuff in Mint. Now that would be a huge plus for noobies!
That is possible and its a good idea too. All you have to do is make a link like this ( http://www.getmiro.com/screencasts/windows/win.feed.rss ) and then make the videos and upload them to google video and link the rss links to the google video tutorials for Linux Mint, which is very possible. I think you came up with a perfect idea belovedmonster, this could really be another advantage of using Linux Mint. We should talk to Clem about this.

And its great fun looking at those Linux tutorials, I remember when I was a ordinary Linux user and I was introduced to Knoppix and then someone suggested a Linux OS called 'Lindows' (They are now called Linspire because of Microsoft sewing them for copyright) and I used to watch the Lindows tutorials, which were great fun. We could inspire newbies to use Linux Mint.

My voice is too deep for tutorial speaking, so if Miro tutorials are accepted by Clem we'll need a clear speaker :D .

Edit: Check this link ( http://www.getmiro.com/create/ ). This makes video posting seem so easy.

Cheers, ( This could make Miro a great option as default for Linux Mint )
molom
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

You made me very curious... I'll try it right now
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

for everyone voting to have it in the repos......it's already there, just install it

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install miro
just make sure that you have all the java plugins or it wont work, i found this out the hard way and had to do some investigating, i was getting an error in the command line saying that a java plugin wasn't available, so i went into synaptic and installed all the java plugins and it worked great. 8)
molom

Post by molom »

McLovin wrote:for everyone voting to have it in the repos......it's already there, just install it

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install miro
just make sure that you have all the java plugins or it wont work, i found this out the hard way and had to do some investigating, i was getting an error in the command line saying that a java plugin wasn't available, so i went into synaptic and installed all the java plugins and it worked great. 8)
Are you sure it's version 1.0? If it is, that is great. I will try the app tomorrow and then talk to Clem.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

i'm pretty sure, i'm not at home at the moment, (at work), as soon as i get home i'll post back and let you know.

i just chacked the software portal online and it is there, though ppl who havent tried to look into it and just install expect it to "just work" are giving bad reviews. just do like i said in my previous post and you will good to go.
NBSVieiraPT

Post by NBSVieiraPT »

It is a good application for Linux Mint 5.0 indeed.
However I believe you don't really need it as a default program, but that's just me. You already have audio player, video player, torrent downloader, browser in other programs, so I don't see the need for a program that does the exact same thing those do. Of course, it should be in the repo and be given the choice to install, no doubt about that!
molom

Post by molom »

NBSVieiraPT wrote:It is a good application for Linux Mint 5.0 indeed.
However I believe you don't really need it as a default program, but that's just me. You already have audio player, video player, torrent downloader, browser in other programs, so I don't see the need for a program that does the exact same thing those do. Of course, it should be in the repo and be given the choice to install, no doubt about that!
I just find it a good solution for newbie tutorials and a good solution for youtube downloading. That is my main argument. Miro works out of the box like 'Mint' so why not?
Cheers,
molom
molom

Post by molom »

@ All
McLovin has made a tutorial on how to install Miro 1.0 successfully. The Mint Portal's Miro doesn't work and synaptic's Miro is an old unstable version.
This is the tutorial ( http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =47&t=8170 )
Cheers,
molom
NBSVieiraPT

Post by NBSVieiraPT »

molom wrote:
NBSVieiraPT wrote:It is a good application for Linux Mint 5.0 indeed.
I just find it a good solution for newbie tutorials and a good solution for youtube downloading. That is my main argument. Miro works out of the box like 'Mint' so why not?
Cheers,
molom
Fair enough.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”