Im converted! love it, but got a few questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iamclueless

Im converted! love it, but got a few questions

Post by iamclueless »

Been messing around with a few distros in the past few weeks

ActiveX and Midiflux - didnt like it right away, wasnt keen on fluxbox i guess
Ubuntu - not much faster than XP... and involved too much tinkering
Xubuntu - pretty good but tinkering involved
Puppy! - brilliant! loving it
Mint XFCE - not the fastest on my rig but involves no dramas!

Im basically a Windows user looking to switch due to an aging machine that id like to keep around for a bit longer
PIII 667mghz 768 RAM
but i need to take the parents along.... :) so need to give them a familiar environment

I've messed around with Wine and managed to get Ares and Office 2000 to work... the question is how do you organize the WINE folder????????? it all basically ended up on my Mint desktop...

so the questions:

1) can someone suggest a way to organize the WINE folders???

2) is cleaning up after WINE (failed installs, removed installs, etc.) easy? im getting the impression it is not

3) the size of the swap file got smaller... Xubuntu auto install gave me 900mb, Mint auto install gave me just over 600mb. How much do i need???????? i read in Ubuntu forums that 1.5 times of your RAM or 1GB would be good

thanks everyone!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Im converted! love it, but got a few questions

Post by McLovin »

Glad to hear you are liking mint, I will do my best to answer you questions.
1) Wine should organize itself the same as if it were Windows, the desktop icons are your "shortcuts" (called links in Linux) there is a way to just add them to a deskbar in xfce, (though I am not that familiar with xfce, I use Gnome mostly, though i do have xfce installed and have started playing with it, so I will leave that issue to c=someone a little more familiar with it than I)
2) Cleaning up after wine should be the same as in Windows as the folder layouts follow the same basic folder structure, and wine has an uninstall wine apps option. Just find the stuff that is left over after you uninstall and delete them.
3) The size of the swap partition is important to how fast your system will run, I have 1gig of ram and I use 1.5 gigs for my swap, with your ram i would recommend about 1gig, that should give some room for for apps to go when resources get bogged down.
Hope this helps some, and keep at it, don't give up on Linux, it is a great OS, and not at all like it used to be, where you had to know all kinds of code and workarounds to get things running.
iamclueless

Post by iamclueless »

thanks for the quick response

had another quick one.... with Ubuntu and Xubuntu, they had the Add/Remove programs option that was really easy to use?

whats the MINT equivalent? or will i have to do all of it in the Synaptic Package Manager... which seems to be nicely complemented by MintInstall
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

iamclueless wrote:had another quick one.... with Ubuntu and Xubuntu, they had the Add/Remove programs option that was really easy to use?

whats the MINT equivalent? or will i have to do all of it in the Synaptic Package Manager... which seems to be nicely complemented by MintInstall

see my post here: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =90&t=7972

Return to “Beginner Questions”