Mint burns laptops, please don't leave it to another distr

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Mint burns laptops, please don't leave it to another distr

Postby hunkirdowne on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:17 pm

grizwald wrote:I have a H/P laptop which overheats on a regular basis. I discovered after trying an assortment of fixes that it was caused by collection of lint piled up on one side of the microprocessor heatsink inside the Laptop.
G.

You obviously need to begin a new thread -- may I suggest "Lint burns laptops"? :^)

Seriously, good advice. I had a desktop overheat in a similar manner (pet hair).
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/
hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint burns laptops, please don't leave it to another dis

Postby TheMintyCanadian on Wed May 05, 2010 12:14 pm

optimize me wrote:Have you seen this yet: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy ... sensors.29

It's kind of old, but may still be relevant.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I did see this thread after a search, before I posted my own.

There's nothing really in there in the way of help - lots of comments about how it could be other things, like fluff, dust, etc. But I have easily tested that out of the equation through switching to and from Win 7 to Mint and being able to see no problem with the fans under Win7.

Most of the tech stuff in there is Greek to me, but I don't think there was actually anything in there that suggests a solution given my circumstances.

If I'm wrong about this last assumption, I'd be more than happy to be corrected :D

Cheers,
Dave
TheMintyCanadian
Level 1
Level 1

Postby turkka on Thu May 13, 2010 8:35 am

Actually I remember having such difficulties which were (ultimately) solved with a vacuum cleaner... :D

But as that sentence isn't very informative, I'll try to get something else done.
When I was trying to get the 'ondemand'-governor working it never did because the files /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq and scaling_max_freq were both the same, highest the CPU could go... So no wonder it never worked until I corrected the min_freq file.

After that one scaling worked fine for me. But temperatures dropped some 20degrees celsius after the oh-so-technical vacuum-cleaner operation...

I can't remember which version of Ubuntu it was, but I guess it was like 8.10 or something, and I never have seen anyone complain about that bug, so I guess it hasn't happened often.
Tripping through the life fantastic / lose a step and never get up / Left alone with a cold blank stare / I feel like giving up
turkka
Level 1
Level 1

Postby keljaden on Thu May 13, 2010 3:37 pm

I think your problem is both the fault of your hardware, and linux. Make sure you are able to decrease the CPU speed of your laptop (speed step). Also, if it has gotten that hot before, your thermal paste is probably messed up so I suggest getting some high end stuff (i suggest arctic cooler mx-2 as it is what I use). take off your heatsink and using q-tips and isopropanol (99% alcohol) clean off the CPU and heatsinks old thermal paste, make sure the surface is dry(using q-tips again) and apply a similar amount of thermal paste. (i didn't suggest as5 because if u put to much it melts your cpu).

I have run a lot of different distributions and heat has yet to be a major problem.... My friend has a gateway laptop (bought a yr old) and he cleans it regularly and it still suffers from overheating. His cpu gets to 80C just running Killing Floor.

Try making sure the laptop is clean and you have good thermal paste on there and it is set up internally before accusing the devs of not being attentive to errors. If it is really such a problem and you have ruled out all other possibilities make a detailed bug report...

I agree that the devs for some things *cough* amarok *cough* don't always pay attention to the bug, but more than just reporting the error on the forums is necessary for action to be taking. If you want us here at the forums to help you, post EVERYTHING you can about the laptop. Often times the error is something you would not even have realized (like how cario dock prevent skypes video from working...)
keljaden
Level 3
Level 3

Postby turkka on Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm

If you were pointing that message to me its not necessary any more. I was just giving other people one more possibility where the heating problem may be. I don't have that machine any more, though its still in use. I gave it to my elderly mother :D

As she does nothing cpu-intense with it thats a fine piece of equipment for her.

Besides it was Acer Aspire 1362, which was kinda notorious for its tendency to overheating.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear on the issue, just talking in principle.
Tripping through the life fantastic / lose a step and never get up / Left alone with a cold blank stare / I feel like giving up
turkka
Level 1
Level 1

Postby declan.mullen on Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:41 pm

I would like Mint 9 LXDE to manage the speed and temperature of my laptop's CPU so as to run the laptop optimally and to not allow the CPU to overheat to the extent that it causes the laptop to turn off .

On my laptop, Mint 9 LXDE with its default configuration and default set of packages (but with the latest updates installed) is failing to achieve this and is on occasion allowing the CPU to get so hot that the laptop turns off (it doesn't even attempt to shutdown the OS before turning off).

This forum subject/thread has been going a long time and lots of software solutions have been suggested but many of them were suggested a long time ago. What is the current recommended software solution to ensuring Mint 9 LXDE does not allow the CPU to run so hot that the laptop turns off ?

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a 3.2GHz Mobile Pentium 4 CPU.

Many thanks.
declan.mullen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grizwald on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:25 pm

I pointed out once before that the overheating problem with laptops can very often be caused by lint partially blocking ventilation vents. Best solution is to make certain this ISN'T the problem before tweaking any software.
Grizwald.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Postby declan.mullen on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:52 pm

What is the currently recommended software to have Mint LXDE 9 detect that a CPU is approaching an unsafe high temperature and then attempt to reduce the temperature by increasing fan speed and/or stepping down the CPU's GHz ?

With my laptop, I've noticed that Mint LXDE 9 is not attempting to drop my CPU down from its 3.2GHz top speed step to its lower 1.5GHz speed step, when the temperature is way above its safe temperature (eg 75 C), and as a result my laptop is subsequently turning off.

See viewtopic.php?f=151&t=33832&p=329820#p329820 for details of laptop.

FYI, I'm monitoring:
The temperature via /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
The speed via /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
declan.mullen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby declan.mullen on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 am

grizwald wrote:I pointed out once before that the overheating problem with laptops can very often be caused by lint partially blocking ventilation vents. Best solution is to make certain this ISN'T the problem before tweaking any software.
Grizwald.

Many thanks Grizwald. I've cleaned out the significant amount of lint from the cpu fan and now Mint seems to be able to manage the cpu fan/temp/speed very well. As you pointed, no need for extra software. Many thanks.
declan.mullen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grizwald on Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 pm

My pleasure Declan, pleased my post was able to help you.
Cheers,

Griz.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Postby TexasProud on Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:08 am

Mint 7 also throttles pc computers. Oddly as time goes by the throttling will stop and everything is normal. (I'm talking a month or so after install). It will ramp back up with updates and even the screensaver can make it kick back in throttle. The throttling I've seen is definately not the harddrive but the fan. A throttled harddrive will click, often clicking like crazy. What I've seen and heard is the fan racing loudly at full speed as if the system can't quite digest something and is getting stuck.

I've never installed on a physically dirty system, so dunno 'bout that but I'm sure it would overheat. I would tend to think if you can "smell" something going on when the system throttles that there's something swelling up and going out on the motherboard and a motherboard replacement could be necessary unless you are handy with a soldiering iron -- and hopefully you have a friend who has a computer shop or a really good geek friend who can check/fix/replace that motherboard for you. Sometimes motherboard issues are just a little beyond the ordinary to detect and repair. Various people have described that smell as "sorta smells like perfume" while others say it smells like "plastic". If the fan is going out, it will go out. They sorta sound like they are groaning. Don't use a computer with a bad fan. Get that fixed asap.

If it's just the new Mint installation, take note of when it happens (were you downloading, downloading or playing an installed game, updating or a screensaver started up). When the throttling starts, what I did was restart the system. I've left it going before to see if it would stop throttling on it's on, and it just kept throttling. Restart stopped it and the system purred like a kitten. Once you get past all those initial updates and other program installs you want, you've got one really fine operating system in a purring system. I keep trying out newer Mints and other Linux OS, and even Windows. I always go back to Mint 7. It is my all time favorite but there are initial issues that do work out. It's sorta like Mint 7 tries to swallow an elephant all in one bite, panics, then gets it all digested and all is well.

I won't install any Linux OS on anyone else's computer unless they agree to let me keep it at least a month to make sure all the bells and whistles are working correctly -- and all the warts and freckles are taken care of, particularly since that throttling issue usually doesn't crop up until after the updating begins.

But of course, I can't see your computer or what it's doing, so you need to really do what you think you need to do to protect your computer when that throttling starts.

By the way, I've never had to do anything more than restart the system to "fix" the throttling, and once it's fixed, it's fixed - IF it's the Mint OS. And you will have to do this several times over the course of a month, then it's a done deal.
TexasProud
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eagle52997 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I have been running various Ubuntu distributions on my Inspiron 5150. I also was having problems with overheating. I did not have overheating problems with windows (unless I was running Warcraft 3 or WoW). I have had some success with a plugin called dellfand. I cannot recall whether I read about it on the ubuntu forums or somewhere else. I hope this is helpful for you, I am planning on trying Mint on my laptop as well, and will let you know how my experience is as well.
eagle52997
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Stosskraft on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 am

Ok I am in a new situation. I have a HP G42 as my personal computer, and I am running linux mint 11... I do love it but it does get hot to the point of discomfort and I have to use a large fan pointed at the lap top.

Now the crazy part is my new job just gave me vertially the same laptop (Compaq version) with a small harddrive running windows 7. It has been great to compare WIN 7 to mint and I must say that 7 has come a long way from the vista crap. Or course I love my mint set up, but using the laptops I have come to some conclusions:

1. The windows laptop almost never gets hot.. the mint one is really really hot...even touching the mouse pad is alarming.
2. the battery last at least 40% longer with windows..and I tried this with both batteries on both machines.

In all other respects I prefer mint...but using 2 very similar laptops (and hardware) my linux pc is on the verge of frying itself.

It has an ATI Redeao 4200 HDMI video card.

Any suggestions please?
Stosskraft
Level 2
Stosskraft
Level 2
Level 2

Postby grizwald on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi All,

I earlier posted an item on the forum on this subject, pointing out the most common cause for Laptop computers to overheat is lint clogging up the cooling vents. This lint buildup seriously reduces the flow of cooling air over the components within the laptop causing the internal temperature to rise significantly.

I currently have a Samsung R519 Laptop and yesterday I was finally moved to investigate the extremely hot air coming from the side vents.
Here is what I found.... http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk327/griz_101/Lint.jpg
This method is obviously not recommended for the inexperienced or non technical user - they can have the problem fixed professionally.
I used a small LED torch to peer into the side vent and saw lint on the far side of the cooling fins so tried using a regular paint brush [used to paint the walls in ones house] to dislodge the dust and lint by pushing the long bristles into the fin assembly. I did this first in the hope that opening up the laptop could be avoided - wrong! Having finally gained access to the laptop...... I found the fan and cooling system attached to the rear of the mother board so removed the fan assembly. The picture above is what I found. The disturbed lint was caused by the brush bristles when I poked them through from the other side of the cooling fins before the laptop was disassembled. Needless to say, a thin coating of lint completely covering the cooling fin opening certainly reduced the air flow allowing the internal temperature to rise. Removing this blockage restored the normal operating temperature.

Merely switching on ones laptop when in this condition will cause it to run hot regardless of what OS it uses.

As an aside, I also own an HP laptop which was allowed to run in a similar condition for a prolonged period of time. This excess heat damaged an internal component resulting in permanent vertical coloured lines on the LCD screen. A fix is more expensive than a new laptop - hence using a Samsung now. A little maintenance would have prevented the problem.

I hope the above is of some help to anyone with a similar overheating problem.

G.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Postby antikythera on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:11 pm

in addition to grizwald's advice about cleaning, you should also consider trying the AMD Catalyst driver suite. In addition to providing extra functionality and performance over the open-source driver, it contains the PowerPlay functions to help reduce the hit on your notebook's battery and reduce the heat output from the GPU chip.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
antikythera
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Stosskraft on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:42 am

Thanks for the information and posts. Now I am wondering if I should to something else all together...I love mint...but it does cook my laptop. I have 2 almost identical laptops my personal with Mint 11 and my work on with windows 7. Though windows 7 frustrates the living hell out of me, it runs all day and never gets hot, the same computer with Mint cooks itself... how is this better?

The horror is I find myself using the work/win 7 machine much more often because of the heat issue and battery life.

I love linux and the idea of open source, what other distro's out there are laptop compatible and is as easy as mint?
Stosskraft
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ibm450 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:04 am

Stosskraft wrote:The horror is I find myself using the work/win 7 machine much more often because of the heat issue and battery life.

+1
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Postby axel668 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:47 am

powernowd might be curing the symptoms, but let's face it, if your laptop "burns" when CPU is running on 100% for a while, you either got very bad hardware or something is broken (some cooler, fan, etc.)

as for including powernowd by default, this might be a reasonable request for laptop users, however will slow down the system a little for desktop PCs, so I can understand why it has not been done, yet ... maybe we could have a Laptop option in the installer or something, but this is certainly not high priority.

until then feel free to try another distro, Linux is about choice ... the amount of configuration necessary in other distros to, let's say, decently use your Nvidia card or let alone play MP3s will mabye let you appreciate all the stuff that is working out of the box in Mint
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)
axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Postby grizwald on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:24 am

If you have "two almost identical laptops, why not try to swap the hard drives and see if the heat problem follows the hard drive?
Should you try this test, don't forget to remove the power first. If the battery gets disconnected with power applied you may well cook the laptop permanently. Not a good look. That will rule out clogged cooling system quickly enough, then you can devote your time and effort trying all the software solutions.

G.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Stosskraft on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:28 am

Well I am very sure that is is not the hardware, as I put Mint on it as soon as it came out of the box and noticed the problem. Not until work gave me the same laptop with Win 7 did I realize how bad it was.

Why are people pretending this heating problem doesn't exist? It clearly does.

I am now looking for an alternative but really like MInt. Would KDE run cooler/normal?

Any suggestions? I have tried the kernal update, with little success.
Stosskraft
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to About Mint Editions