How to change your cursor in Gnome 3

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Inoki

How to change your cursor in Gnome 3

Post by Inoki »

What we will need:

- a desired cursor theme (can be obtained from either http://gnome-look.org or just about any website, like http://deviantart.com
- dconf-tools package from synaptic

How to do this:

1. Download your desired cursor theme and extract it to /usr/share/icons (you need root privileges to do that). The correct package needs to have an index.theme file inside.

2. Open up Gnome Tweak Tool, go to Theme's tab and change your cursor to the latest theme you downloaded.

3. Check the name of the cursor theme how it's displayed in Gnome Tweak Tool, make it match exactly as in system settings below in the index.theme of the cursor by opening it as root in the following location:

/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme

or using the command "sudo gedit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme"

There should be a line labeled "Inherits" containing the name of the cursor theme. By default it's DMZ-White.
index.theme (-usr-share-icons-default) - gedit_003.png
4. Last step is checking in system settings. The package in order to access system settings is called "dconf-tools" in Synaptic Package Manager. Download and install it.
Synaptic - správca inštalačných balíkov _001.png
To launch it, use ALT + F2 and type in "dconf-editor" (without the quotes). Navigate to:
Configuration Editor_002.png
or ORG > GNOME > DESKTOP > INTERFACE

The name in system settings should be the same there and in the index.theme file. Which means in system settings I currently have "oxy-neon", the same needs to be in index.theme file in Inherits section.

5. Once done, logout and log back in to your session, or hit CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Inoki on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
karashata

Re: How to change your cursor in Gnome 3

Post by karashata »

Might I suggest something slightly easier..?

Follow the steps above for GNOME Tweak Tool, then stop. (ie. Do steps 1 and 2.)

Launch your favourite terminal emulator and run the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
Enter the number for your desired cursor theme and hit Enter.

Debian and Ubuntu both use alternatives to configure many aspects of the system, and the X cursor theme is one such thing. You should not need to edit the default index.theme file directly to set the system-wide cursor theme, since it is a symlink to the alternatives file, which can be configured with the command I gave above.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

karashata wrote:Might I suggest something slightly easier..?

Follow the steps above for GNOME Tweak Tool, then stop. (ie. Do steps 1 and 2.)

Launch your favourite terminal emulator and run the following command:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
Enter the number for your desired cursor theme and hit Enter.

Debian and Ubuntu both use alternatives to configure many aspects of the system, and the X cursor theme is one such thing. You should not need to edit the default index.theme file directly to set the system-wide cursor theme, since it is a symlink to the alternatives file, which can be configured with the command I gave above.
The method you proposed didn't show me the cursor I wanted to select. I currently use "oxy-neon", but it only gave me the option to choose between "DMZ-White" and "DMZ-Black".
karashata

Post by karashata »

Ah, I suppose that's true... There is a way to manually install the cursor theme into alternatives though so it can be selected from there:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme x-cursor-theme <path to cursor theme (in this case, /usr/share/icons/oxy-neon/index.theme) <priority (an integer, say, 50)>
After using that code, the cursor theme should show up in the alternatives list when running the command I gave you earlier, and you can manually set it there.

If you want more info into how update-alternatives works, you can always check out the man page with:

man update-alternatives
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried to do this the more "user friendly" way for those, who have little to no knowledge of Linux and coding. :) Since we are still left without properly working means of changing various aspects of the Gnome interface.
ChickenPie4Tea

Post by ChickenPie4Tea »

I would like to know how you can just change one thing - in my case I dont want to change a whole cursor set just the busy animation. This was a piece of cake in windows but I dont know how in linux
Deazel

Post by Deazel »

What theme is OP using?
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Deazel wrote:What theme is OP using?
It's been a long time, but if memory serves me, it's this one: http://www.deviantart.com/art/SLAVE-GTK3-256366787 ;)

Return to “Tutorials”