Unable to Log-in as user

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Unable to Log-in as user

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have multi-distros installed on my machine and following the installation of Freespire today I am now unable to log-in as user. Following the grub screen the screen goes blank. By using crtl,alt,del I can get to the gnome log-in but using the user name and password gives the following. User $home/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. Accepting that it then says that the session has been less than 10sec and the detail says the Refusing to initialise GTK+. I can log in as root. I am assuming that my home partition has been corrupted. Is there any alternative but to re-install Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Unable to Log-in as user

Post by exploder »

Try logging on as root and delete the user account. (save any data of course) Then create a new account for the user, reboot and see if you can log on as the user.

That should get you going.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks for your post exploder. I deleted the user but could not add the user again. The home partition had been wrecked. Have had to re-install.

Thanks once again.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am curious, were all of your installed distributions sharing the same home directories?

I am glad you got things fixed!
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

No. Pclinux, Mepis and Mint have their own home partitions. When installing Freespire 2.08 it did not give the option to create a home file and I think it acessed the Mint home partition and trashed it. I used Freespire 1.3 and I'm sure that that version did create a home partition. I'm also certain that it also previously created a root user which the latest version does not.

Return to “Installation & Boot”