LMDE XFCE observations

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
helterskelter

LMDE XFCE observations

Post by helterskelter »

Just switched to XFCE from Gnome,a bit flustered by the changes.

Xfce seems pretty cool. I,ve managed to get things like Audacious VU meters working with no hassle,likewise Gnomad2 and ProjectM.

Only (minor) gripes,changing themes is a bit 'faffy',would like to datken background of Thunar,and biggest whinge of all is the (small) size of thumbnails.

I have 'Googled' but it would appear this isnt (easily) do-able-yet.

Using the bottom Panel as a Dock is pretty smart.

THumbs-up to the team. :)

eddie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rjs

Re: LMDE XFCE observations

Post by rjs »

Agreed. Xfce4 is nice on LMDE.

This is what I'm currently using on my main box. You can also install the mint-menu and that is nice (which is how I have it).

Good for you. I've taken the same stance on it, no matter what is done with Gnome3, or the Mate projects, I'll be sticking with
xfce for my main system. Used it years ago and it was nice back then too, but 4.8.0 has quite a few improvements, stays out of the way, and let's
you get things done. With the Linux Mint mintmenu in place, you can hardly tell you are even using xfce4. Only item I really miss over gnome is
just having a "connect to server" available via Thunar. For mounting remote ssh/sftp. But there are work arounds for this too that do the job. (gigolo etc..)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Also enjoying LMDX. If you have ever compared regular Debian Stable to Mint Debian you will really appreciate how much better Mint Debian is. The only thing I miss on LMDX right now is Pithos.
KBD47
BTW how did you install Mint menu? I see in synaptic it is already installed, but I don't see it in the panel options to add it.
rjs

Post by rjs »

"BTW how did you install Mint menu? I see in synaptic it is already installed, but I don't see it in the panel options to add it."
You can add it easily by right-clicking on the panel and selecting “Add new Items”->”XfApplet”->”mintMenu".
Description: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725 Just above the "mintMenu in Linux Mint Xfce" image under "A more mainstream edition" heading.

I will mention that there is a bug in xfapplet. Make sure you remove the old menu, and place this menu where you want.
It is fine as long as you are not moving it around or trying to remove/edit the Xfapplet. It works great once you have it there.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Thanks!
There is definitely a bug in the Mint menu applet. It won't move or remove just by right clicking on it and clicking on 'move'. I finally got it to move by opening panel preferences and clicking on 'items' using the up arrow button to move it across the panel.

Return to “LMDE Archive”