Canon iP1600 - SOLVED -(on latest LMDE201109)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
uncleBob

Canon iP1600 - SOLVED -(on latest LMDE201109)

Post by uncleBob »

I've just installed the latest LMDE201109, and again, like in previous posts, my Canon Pixma iP1600 will NOT work. I've tried the included Cups drivers, and the Canon-Europe driver, but to no avail. This is maximum frustrating... Has anyone got this printer to work using the latest LMDE operating system ???? If so, how did you manage ??
I do appreciate all help .........
...Bob...

Thanks to Paulm for this reply and advice....It WORKS !!! just use the ip1800 install.....

Hi uncleBob,
If you still have a driver problem, take a look at my 'how to' in the LMDE
how to section. This may help you (I hope) if you still have problems after
reading, let me know.
With the new cups the printer is usually recognized but won't print..!
Good luck, Paulm
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon iP1600 -NEW-(on LMDE201109)

Post by pdc_2 »

this printer is about six years old; canon did not supply linux drivers so comprehensively then;

I think you were telling us that you could NOT Find a printer driver for linux for this printer; a good source is OpenPrinting, and there is no printer driver listed there: I agree there is no linux driver

https://www.openprinting.org/printers/m ... urer/Canon

can I suggest some possible options:
1) get the turboprint driver http://www.turboprint.info/ we have used this for an ip5000 and it works well; you have to buy it, as they have a family to feed
2) try the ip2200 driver as here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411782 and get the driver from here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P/se ... g_os=Linux
3) sigh, and go out and treat yourself to a new printer; go on; you deserve it; a new canon will have a linux driver; think of the money you save from the "free" Mint
uncleBob

Post by uncleBob »

thanks pdc_2
I guess my post wasn't totally clear. I am using this printer under an earlier LMDE, specifically LMDE201101, and using the Canon-Europe linux driver for the Ip2200. This combo works absolutely great, but if I update my OS, and use the updated "cups" package, the printer is unresponsive. So, the problem is maybe with cups etc ! Thus my frustration is why offer an update that breaks a perfectly good operating routine ???

regards, Bob...
Savta_Simcha

Post by Savta_Simcha »

I'm having the same problem with Canon iP4700. I tried installing it under the new Mint 12 live DVD, but even though it was identified correctly and apparently installed, it is not responding.
uncleBob

Post by uncleBob »

It seems that Cups 1.5 is "crap" !
So, how can I replace it with Cups 1.4.4-7 ?? This one works.
Can this be done by switching repositories ??
I have the .deb file for 1.4.4-7, but it doesn't install properly !
Assistance - please...
...uB...
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from the main forum
GregE

Post by GregE »

uncleBob wrote:It seems that Cups 1.5 is "crap" !
So, how can I replace it with Cups 1.4.4-7 ?? This one works.
Can this be done by switching repositories ??
I have the .deb file for 1.4.4-7, but it doesn't install properly !
Assistance - please...
...uB...
You could try adding the squeeze repos to your apt sources list and then use the force version function in Synaptic. I would be careful before applying anything as it may want to uninstall half your system. Plus it could be some other lib that is the issue, not just cups.

I have a Canon MP640 and running LMDE 64bit with cups 1.5 and it works fine. I had to kludge the install script to make it work as it is a 32bit only driver. If you are using a 64bit LMDE ensure you have the ia32-libs package installed as otherwise your printer will not function.

With Linuxmint 12 64bit I cannot install my Canon as the lib dependencies for the installer can no longer be met. It works with the new 32bit version.
mikethenaff

Post by mikethenaff »

Are you running your printer from a network device or via USB? I have a Canon iP5000 that can work (to a degree) when attached directly to my Linux machine, but it wouldn't respond to print jobs when the printer was was attached to a server computer (also Linux). I was apparently able to find it and install it from my client machine, but when it came to printing, the printer didn't seem to be online. Extremely frustrating. I didn't have that problem with earlier versions of Linux (I'm now running Linux Mint 11 LXDE). Is there a newer version of CUPS now (that doesn't seem to work as well)?
I've always had quality issues with my Canon on Linux, namely stripy prints. I would consider another brand of printer (if I had the money).
GregE

Post by GregE »

mikethenaff wrote:Are you running your printer from a network device or via USB? I have a Canon iP5000 that can work (to a degree) when attached directly to my Linux machine, but it wouldn't respond to print jobs when the printer was was attached to a server computer (also Linux). I was apparently able to find it and install it from my client machine, but when it came to printing, the printer didn't seem to be online. Extremely frustrating. I didn't have that problem with earlier versions of Linux (I'm now running Linux Mint 11 LXDE). Is there a newer version of CUPS now (that doesn't seem to work as well)?
I've always had quality issues with my Canon on Linux, namely stripy prints. I would consider another brand of printer (if I had the money).
My MP640 prints over my network. The Canon installer finds it and installs the drivers and network address. The printer is attached directly to my network (ethernet or WiFi -ethernet in my case), not through another computer.

I had an iP5000 a few years back and ended up buying a Turboprint driver in frustration. These days a new printer only costs a few dollars more than buying the driver. I think it was about €11. The only thing I miss from the iP5000 is the refillable cartridges.

Return to “LMDE Archive”