Linux Mint Trinity?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thetall82

Linux Mint Trinity?

Post by thetall82 »

Hi all

A few days ago trinity de 3.5.12 was released: http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/wik ... ses_3_5_12
and a downladable iso of ubuntu 10.10 with trinity will be available soon.
As most of you probably know, that DE is a fork of kde 3.5, to keep alive its computing style and improve/update it.

I tried installing the 3.5.11 version on my Mint Isadora and it works fine. Any chance to see a Mint Trinity version in the future? :-)

--
Giorgio
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Andy Axnot

Re: Linux Mint Trinity?

Post by Andy Axnot »

I hope so! It would be really nice to see the Trinity project succeed, and Linux Mint would be a great base.

Can you give any details as to how your experience installing 3.5.11 went? The instructions at the Trinity site are really sparse.

Thanks,

Andy
thetall82

Post by thetall82 »

Hi!

I found instruction for installation on ubuntu (worked for my Mint) on some Italian debian users forum (I don't remember the name now at I'm not at my home PC).
But I simply added repositories, downloaded packages and installed via command-line. After that I could select "kde 3" as a DE from my login window. I had no big issues.

Did you already try following these instructions ?
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html

Cheers
Giorgio
Andy Axnot

Post by Andy Axnot »

OK, thanks, Giorgio! I followed (as best I could, the GPG server kept timing out) the installation instructions for Squeeze and it seems to have worked. It was a bit anticlimactic, I wasn't sure the installation had terminated and then things didn't look any different.

But, as you said, I was able to sign into KDE and it seems to work OK. Time will tell and time was in very short supply when I finished. :D

Hopefully I can test this weekend.

Andy
Andy Axnot

Post by Andy Axnot »

OK, I have Trinity 3.5.12 installed and running without major problems. There are some problems, but they are relatively minor, and most eventually prove to be operator error. :oops:

Audio doesn't seem to work in a few applications, but does in most. I also haven't figured out the best way to mount other partitions that require root permission. In Konqueror file manager I can see the partitions are there in Services, Storage Media, but I get a permissions error if I try to enter one that requires root permission. In Gnome's Nautilus I am asked for my password and then I can enter. Not so in Konqueror.

Oddly, Konqueror superuser doesn't list the partitions at all even though Konqueror regular user does!

I can work around this easily enough by accessing the partitions first in Nautilus, but this is less than ideal. Mounting the partitions via the command line also works, of course, as does modifying fstab and using KDiskFree. Not a show stopper, but annoying.

Well, it's something to do while we wait for KDE 5. :roll:

Andy
Andy Axnot

Post by Andy Axnot »

Just as a follow up, I installed Trinity KDE 3.5.12 on Linux Mint 10 (Julia) following the instructions on the Pearson site for Ubuntu Maverick and it went smoothly and works just great.

Recommended to all KDE3 fans. :D

Andy
kimiko

Post by kimiko »

Yes! yes! yes! It's working like a charm! Thanks, Andy. :D
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

I have been following the Trinity Project for quite some time now. I really hope that it succeeds, as we all know that KDE 3.5.X is in no way deprecated LOL!

Good to read a post about it in our forums. Meant to do this a while back.... :wink:

Thanks OP,

S :)

Posted with Firefox-7.0a1
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
ASmith

Re: Linux Mint 12 Trinity?

Post by ASmith »

Given the plethora of user video display problems reported by users in the Mint 12 standard (Gnome 3.x-MATE) desktop, installing Trinity Desktop over the top of the cough Gnome (3.x-MATE) seems like it could be a very workable and popular alternative.

I tried and tried to install and use Mint 12 Standard only to be waylaid by the video display problems with the Gnome 3x. handlers, they were invisible and remained invisible while Mint 12 rolled into a fall-back mode (Gnome 2.3x) which had panels and controls on top and bottom in a haphazard mindless fashion which really seemed to be a very large backwards step from the elegant and fully functional Gnome 2.3 desktop in Linux Mint 11 that I had been using on the very same box.

Even thou this box uses the widely used Intel Video Chip set (i8XX), it simply was incompatible with the Gnome 3.x desktop while the resolution and monitor type was fine. Nonetheless, it took me two full HD installs trying to snap the Gnome 3.x desktop into a functioning desktop and failing before I gave up and reinstalled the reliable Mint 11 Standard once again.

It's possible had I known then of the possibility of the Trinity Desktop, I would have tried that, although it would have only been possible to install via the CLI terminal as all the Gnome 3.x app menus were invisible which made it relatively easy for me to delete both of those entire partitions containing Linux Mint 12 Standard full installs!
ASmith

Post by ASmith »

Trinity Desktop Environment on Linux Mint

Ubuntu Trinity Repository Installation Instructions

http://trinitydesktop.org/installation.php#ubuntu

1. Add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list
By either chosing the application Software Sources via the Gnome Application Menu, or via the terminal: sudo gksu --desktop /usr/share/applications/software-properties-gtk.desktop /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk

Chose 'Other Software' and add the additional repository's listed for the version of Ubuntu/Mint Linux Kernel you are using Lucid,Maverick,Natty or Oneiric as listed in the above trinitydesktop.org installation page.

2. Add the GPG signing key:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net --recv-keys 2B8638D0

3. Install Trinity:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-default-settings-trinity kubuntu-desktop-trinity

Configuring kdm-trinity

A display manager is a program that provides graphical login
capabilities for the X Window System.

Only one display manager can manage a given X server, but multiple
display manager packages are installed. Please select which display
manager should run by default.

Multiple display managers can run simultaneously if they are configured
to manage different servers; to achieve this, configure the display
managers accordingly, edit each of their init scripts in /etc/init.d,
and disable the check for a default display manager.

Configuring kdm-trinity

Default display manager:
gdm
kdm-trinity

You'll be prompted during the TDE Trinity Desktop installation which display manager you want as the default when you login on your Linux Mint system, make your preferred choice and continue the installation.

After the downloads and installation are finished via the apt-get terminal mode then shut-down (power-off) your computer and then power it back up. After choosing your login-name you'll have the option which desktop to load in TDE (Trinity) or Gnome etc.

Choosing TDE at User Login the first time opens a KDE Configuration Wizard which easily guides you thru 5 steps to optimise your desktop look and feel. Any time later you can simply choose the Control Panel to add or make different choices.

For Linux Mint 12 Standard users, the above instructions can be fully implemented and installed via the terminal CLI (ctrl-alt-T) which is infinitely helpful if the Gnome 3.x desktop disappears due to Video Chip conflicts preventing the Linux Mint 12 users from being able to easily access the Gnome App Menu.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This fork of KDE 3.5 (Trinity) works out to be a outstanding alternative desktop on millions of computers whose video boards and graphic chips do not support the greater than 2048 pixel requirement that Gnome 3.x is seeking. In effect that means the wide ranging Intel Graphics chipset found on dozens of desktop and laptop manufacturers, ANY version up to i945 Chipsets will not fully work. That translates in Intel Graphics chips alone into i7xx,i8xx,i9xx up to and including the i945 series are a NO GO for Gnome 3.x, however the Trinity Desktop works fine on those chip sets.

This disappointing development is explained and explored in the Fedora Forum found at this link:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showth ... p?t=263733

(i7xx),i8xx (Intel) chipsets are blacklisted from ever running the Shell. i915 through i945 can run the Shell, but they do have this 2048-pixels-in-either-direction hardware limitation: if the total screen size in either X or Y axis exceeds 2048 pixels, the card won't do 3D acceleration or compositing any more, and Shell won't run. If you start off below the limit then plug in a monitor that takes you over the limit, Shell will keep running because it can't detect this change, but as soon as it tries to render something strenuous, it's liable to break in interesting ways (try activating the overview or something and see what happens). If you start up with a configuration that exceeds the limit, Shell will refuse to run and you'll get fallback mode.

Chips beyond i945 don't have the 2048 pixel limit and will basically run Shell just fine whatever you throw at them.

mariusz: so, it's actually pretty simple: what 'nomodeset' effectively does, these days, is force the system to use the vesa driver instead of the intel driver. The intel and nouveau drivers have no UMS (the counterpart to KMS) code any more; if you forcibly disable KMS, then when intel or nouveau kick in, they will notice that KMS is disabled, refuse to run, and X will fall back to vesa instead.

obviously, since vesa is a completely unaccelerated, generic, fallback driver, Shell is not going to work on it
tecknomage

Post by tecknomage »

I use Mint 10 which is based on Ubuntu Maverick (IF I remember correctly).

So I would use the Maverick repository for Trinity install, right :?:

ALSO;

Why Trinity :?:

What are the advantages of running Trinity Desktop vs default Mint 10 Desktop :?

Return to “Software & Applications”