What was the first linux distro u tried (Poll)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What was the first linux distro you have tried

Suse based
14%
Debian based
41%
Gentoo based
No votes
Mandriva/Mandrake based
19%
Slackware based
9%
Red hat based
13%
Fedora based
5%

Total votes: 101

molom

What was the first linux distro u tried (Poll)

Post by molom »

What was your first linux distro you tried. Sorry if I missed any out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What was the first linux distro u tried (Poll)

Post by belovedmonster »

Ubuntu (I think).
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

My first was Corel Linux. It used the CFM file manager with an SMB network browser & had a nifty thing called Smartmove that let you transfer your windows settings to Corel LinuxOS. It eventually became Xandros, I think.

I just checked. I still have the boot disk, CD's & manual.
molom

Post by molom »

Alpha-Geek wrote:My first was Corel Linux. It used the CFM file manager with an SMB network browser & had a nifty thing called Smartmove that let you transfer your windows settings to Corel LinuxOS. It eventually became Xandros, I think.

I just checked. I still have the boot disk, CD's & manual.
It was bought by Xandros. Here's some good info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Linux . Thanks for sharing.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

RedHat 5.1

Still have it. along with my Mandrake 7.1 disks also.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Knoppix was the first distro I tried, which I believe is based on Debian. Ubuntu was the first I installed, also based on Debian.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

Lycoris Desktop/lx 1.4 (formerly Redmond Linux)

The Lycoris corporation was founded in 2000 by Joseph Cheek with a vision of making Linux simple enough for everyone and pioneered the Linux based home-user desktop.

Lycoris ceased to be an independent distribution after it was acquired by Mandriva in June 2005

This system worked real well for me, I was extremely dissapointed when it came to its end. And I still have the installation disk.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
molom

Post by molom »

kenetics wrote:Knoppix was the first distro I tried, which I believe is based on Debian. Ubuntu was the first I installed, also based on Debian.
It is based on debian. Knoppix was also my first linux distro, which I tried. A person made me use Kate on the livecd to do C programming. I eventually got interested more in Linux than C programming because of that :). I still have the cd. It's Knoppix 3.1. I stuck with KDE for a while, because of that, but now I would want to chose XFCE, Gnome or E17.
molom

Post by molom »

BakUp wrote:Lycoris Desktop/lx 1.4 (formerly Redmond Linux)

The Lycoris corporation was founded in 2000 by Joseph Cheek with a vision of making Linux simple enough for everyone and pioneered the Linux based home-user desktop.

Lycoris ceased to be an independent distribution after it was acquired by Mandriva in June 2005

This system worked real well for me, I was extremely dissapointed when it came to its end. And I still have the installation disk.
I have lycoris lx, which I got from an edition of Linux User. It looked very nice.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I got hooked after playing with a Knoppix cd. I eventually got brave and installed Mandrake with WIN 98. Dependency hell was still a problem then. Now I only use Debian based distros.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

DSL earlier this year, which by the way I don't recommend for your first exposure to linux. It was interesting and I actually tried to install to hd................didn't work. Next OpenSuse 10.2, this experience was so horrific I should have ended my research into linux as an alternative to ms. After a mind numbing 2hr install the zen updater deleted the wm. Then I found Mint Bianca and there was hope for linux.
molom

Post by molom »

NoClue! wrote:DSL earlier this year, which by the way I don't recommend for your first exposure to linux. It was interesting and I actually tried to install to hd................didn't work. Next OpenSuse 10.2, this experience was so horrific I should have ended my research into linux as an alternative to ms. After a mind numbing 2hr install the zen updater deleted the wm. Then I found Mint Bianca and there was hope for linux.
What was wrong with OpenSuse 10.2? Was it too cluttered? Fluxbox definitely isn't a good choice to start off with linux. I would say start off with KDE, then Gnome, then XFCE, the e17 and then the complicated box WM (Black box, Fluxbox etc) and then if your radical enough you can start with Ratpoison and those others. I say if your a Windows user, you have to go with Linux Mint. Linux Mint (Gnome) is probably one of the easiest distros in the open source community. I haven't tried PCLOS (Shame on me for not trying every distro ;) ), but I heard it is very easy to use, but I don't like KDE.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

my first encounter with Linux was redhat 7.2.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The first distro I installed was Caldara.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Mine was Rehat 5. something but I didn't use it long.
Then Suse 8.1 was the one I actually used and screw it up a lot.(trying to get new software and media codes to work.)
I tried many of the others and tons from distrowatch.com and some not even on there, before using a Debian based distro(Ubuntu).
Wish I started with a Debian Based distros, I always seem to break any Redhat Based distros.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

the very first disrto I tried was Mandrake 8.0, and that started my down a long road of trying all kinds of Linux. I tried all versions of Mandrake/Mandriva all the way to the newest 2008.0 one, RedHat, (when it was still free) Fedora, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, and now I've finaly settled down with Mint, and I like it the best so far.
Wasda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wasda »

Corel linux as the first experiment. Then Redhat, Fedora, Suse to Ubuntu and now Mint.
pete284

Post by pete284 »

Not on the list mine was Puppy Linux

Return to “Chat about Linux”