Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Post by vrkalak »

Hey, with gnome-tweak-tool and the dock extension, gnome-3.2 is starting to look almost usable.

Now, I just hope those things become part of the standard gnome shell setup and made available in the regular "system config" thing rather than hidden off. Sure, make them default to off if you want that "clean default", but make them easy to find and part of the standard install.

Or would that be too close to "Ok, we admit we were wrong" and thus not politically acceptable?

-- Linus Torvalds
I just found this Official Gnome site, a while ago . . . GNOME Shell Extensions > https://extensions.gnome.org/

Looks like a very usable site - has a list of some nice Gnome-Shell-Extensions - easy to install and use - that would come in useful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Post by richyrich »

bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Finally! When this is past alpha and testing, it's how gnome shell will take off. They just need to get going, really, make it happen!
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

When I click on that link it tells me that I do not have an up to date version of gnome3. How do you update it to the latest version?
Bruce McL

Post by Bruce McL »

z06gal wrote:When I click on that link it tells me that I do not have an up to date version of gnome3. How do you update it to the latest version?
I got the same message when I tried using the site in Google Chrome. Switching to Firefox solved the problem for me.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Excellent! Thanks! :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I must admit that managing the desktop environment tweaks from my browser is amazing.
I think I've discovered their evil plan: you'll never get this much joy tinkering with easily available menu or panel settings in Gnome 2! :mrgreen:

Well, now they gotta teach this firefox plugin to restart Gnome Shell automatically after installing an extension.
oshany

Post by oshany »

I've notice that the gnome 3 shell on mint Lisa keeps on freezing after a long while... in addition, the compiz actions aren't available while the gnome 3 shell is activated
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Monsta wrote:I must admit that managing the desktop environment tweaks from my browser is amazing.
It's genius! Been fooling around with it few days now and it's bloody brilliant. Someone at Gnome was obviously browsing add-ons for Firefox and had the idea you should be able to do the same with your desktop environment. Unity gotta jump on this idea too, otherwise it'll only see the rear of Gnome Shell from now on.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

bimsebasse wrote:It's genius! Been fooling around with it few days now and it's bloody brilliant. Someone at Gnome was obviously browsing add-ons for Firefox and had the idea you should be able to do the same with your desktop environment. Unity gotta jump on this idea too, otherwise it'll only see the rear of Gnome Shell from now on.
Unity IS only seeing the rear of Gnome3, think that Gnome3 + Extensions is mainly responsible for Mint being #1 on Distrowatch now
Aethyr

Post by Aethyr »

axel668 wrote:Unity IS only seeing the rear of Gnome3, think that Gnome3 + Extensions is mainly responsible for Mint being #1 on Distrowatch now
Distrowatch, determining Desktop Environment success since the beginning of time.

Fedora is the Default Gnome Shell, and that's behind Unity. Surely, that must mean Unity is a better DE #logicfail (In fact, Unity is a better DE than Shell, but that's for another discussion)

Shell needs extensions to even make it workable. Fail. Do they even teach logic at schools nowadays?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

TwNotes

Post by TwNotes »

The Gnome extension page says I can look in System Settings/System Info to see what version of Gnome I have. I looked - it does not say anything about Gnome there.

When I look in the Shell Extensions tab of the tweak tool, it shows a blank page, unlike on my desktop where there are a bunch of on/off switches to select things. The desktop and netbook installations came from the same .iso download. Also on the netbook the tweak-tool 'Theme" page shows an "alert" icon next to "Shell Theme" and no selections available. This makes the shell top menu bar be black, which makes the app and places menus invisible. It seems like I do not have a full installation here...

This is Linux Mint 12 on a netbook. I need those shutdown/sleep functions!
eightup1

Post by eightup1 »

Aethyr wrote: Shell needs extensions to even make it workable. Fail. Do they even teach logic at schools nowadays?
i so totally agree ... i don't see how a desktop that has 20 different scripts written by 20 different people is EVER going to be stable just like firefox every extension you add makes it slower and buggier ......... I don't even understand the concept of Gnome 3 , a desktop that keeps jumping up in my face and covering my open window when i want to do any thing with it ...... popups are bad popups suck on the internet and they suck worse integrated into my operating system .

personally i dont like all the flashy fancy stuff i have always disabled compiz and all effects so that my computer would dedicate all of it processor and memory to the apps that im actually using
karashata

Post by karashata »

Looks like LMDE with GNOME 3.2 can finally use the extensions site without any issues, the gnome-desktop3-data and libgnome-desktop-3.2 packages can finally be installed/updated without removing anything.

Installing extensions, enabling/disabling extensions, and removing extensions (at least, extensions that are installed from the site, can't remove extensions installed globally from distro repositories) all work in Iceweasel (Firefox), not sure about anything else right now but it seems pretty awesome to have the site work like it's supposed to now.
Bruce McL

Post by Bruce McL »

eightup1 wrote:
Aethyr wrote:personally i dont like all the flashy fancy stuff i have always disabled compiz and all effects so that my computer would dedicate all of it processor and memory to the apps that im actually using
1. Open Software Manager
2. Search for XFCE
3. Install xfce4 Meta-package
4. log out
5. Click on the gear, select Xfce Session, and log in.

This might make you happier than Gnome 3. There are other ways to get XFCE. This way you get the stability and other benefits of the mainstream Linux Mint release, including the ability to use Ubuntu apps. I think anybody who wants to try something that's simpler than Gnome 3 but wants to stay in the Linux Mint mainstream should check this out - providing they have a little extra disk space.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Aethyr wrote:Shell needs extensions to even make it workable. Fail. Do they even teach logic at schools nowadays?
I totally don't agree. "One size fits all" doesn't work, see Unity ... Besides, I want to decide for myself what my desktop environment looks like and how it behaves. Customizing is essential for modern software, that's why I use Firefox for browsing and Gnome 3 on the desktop. Besides, Gnome3 is perfectly usable without extensions, most of them are in fact just convenience for XP / Gnome2 users who don't get the new concepts.
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

axel668 wrote:
Aethyr wrote:Shell needs extensions to even make it workable. Fail. Do they even teach logic at schools nowadays?
I totally don't agree. "One size fits all" doesn't work, see Unity ... Besides, I want to decide for myself what my desktop environment looks like and how it behaves. Customizing is essential for modern software, that's why I use Firefox for browsing and Gnome 3 on the desktop. Besides, Gnome3 is perfectly usable without extensions, most of them are in fact just convenience for XP / Gnome2 users who don't get the new concepts.
Totally agree!!!
eightup1

Post by eightup1 »

Bruce McL wrote: 1. Open Software Manager
2. Search for XFCE
3. Install xfce4 Meta-package
4. log out
5. Click on the gear, select Xfce Session, and log in.
Funny you should say that, im actually using XFCE and moved the top panel to the bottom where i like it ... the only problem i have with it is i can not figure out where the screen brightness control is in xfce ... every time i re start my laptop the screen brightness is all the way down and there is NO way to make it persistent . so i have to log in to gnome set my screen brightness log out log in to xfce and then i can work ... its really the biggest complaint i have with mint 12 .....i mean seriously how hard could it be to make screen brightness persistent
russ553

Post by russ553 »

TwNotes wrote:The Gnome extension page says I can look in System Settings/System Info to see what version of Gnome I have. I looked - it does not say anything about Gnome there.

When I look in the Shell Extensions tab of the tweak tool, it shows a blank page, unlike on my desktop where there are a bunch of on/off switches to select things. The desktop and netbook installations came from the same .iso download. Also on the netbook the tweak-tool 'Theme" page shows an "alert" icon next to "Shell Theme" and no selections available. This makes the shell top menu bar be black, which makes the app and places menus invisible. It seems like I do not have a full installation here...

This is Linux Mint 12 on a netbook. I need those shutdown/sleep functions!
Menu>system tools>system monitor>system

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”