Mint burns laptops, please don't leave it to another distr

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Mint burns laptops, please don't leave it to another dis

Postby ej64 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:28 am

@Stosskraft: I remember this thread of yours: HP G42 overheating like crazy. In your case it has to do with the free drivers that does not get enough support by AMD/ATI. You have to read into the tuts and wikis how to install the latest proprietary catalyst.

There's nothing to blame Linux or Ubuntu in general.

I don't deny there are heating problems - I've written a lot about it lately - but in most cases there are ways to cure the problem. But this comes with a price: the willingness to learn. That's Linux. If you like to blame the sw developers then use M$. That's my take. sorry for being harsh, though.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Stosskraft on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:38 am

hello ej, your right i need to do more research but I am not that good with this stuff.

I first switch to ubuntu then mint because I could load it up and presto it works and I love it. I am only using microsoft as it is a free work laptop that just happens to be the same as my personal one.

To be honest I am not so good with the drivers and stuff. I someone has a good step by step guide how to install what you sughest I am game. Like I said I love mint, but call a spade a spade..if I went from 10 to 11 and then my LT can almost melt a pen :!:

I am not princess and moaning, but if someone can point me in the right direction to solve it then great, but I am not a 'computer guy' and I want something that works straight out of the box with out being a rocket scientist. Nothing on the website or reviews mentioned that is was not capable with my new HP G42.

If I cannot fix it can someone recommends a version that works properly?
Stosskraft
Level 2
Level 2

Postby glynnux on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm one of those people pretending my laptop isn't overheating. I could keep this pretence up indefinitely due to the cool temperatures of the machine.

This is a HP Pavilion dv5000 with AMD Turion64 and is definitely well used. We replaced it with a Sony for my wife as it was getting very tired looking. It had XP on it and was always warm and noisy due to the fan running at speed.

It also suffered from the vertical colored bars on the display once or twice a day! :shock:

I installed Mint 11 and my Conky readout shows the fan turns on at approx 45degrees (at low speed) and cuts out at 43degrees. If i watch Youtube videos the fan will get noisier but the temps remain very reasonable. The vertical bar glitch went away completely when I installed Mint. Never had a single issue since. That's 3 months fault free - ( the heat glitch was a daily occurrence with XP installed ). I have no reason to favour one over the other except Mint suits my machine fine. (and my Acer).

This is a 5 year old machine, never been stripped and cleaned running much quieter and cooler on Mint 11 than it did on XP.

In XP this laptop pushed out a lot of hot air. In Mint it doesn't. I intend to continue pretending that means there isn't a specific problem with Mint over XP.

(I am now going to vacuum it at the first opportunity though since I saw that it made such an improvement to users that did have a heat problem. Hopefully after I've cleaned it out it will chill beers). :lol:
glynnux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby z06gal on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:11 am

The heat issues I have had were kernel related. I am running the 2.6.39.3 kernel on Mint 12 and it runs great but the 3.0 kernel runs warm :wink:
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Stosskraft on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:07 am

Well after a strip and clean by the it guys at work the computer is still warm. I think the laptop jsut runs hot, with I am using it mostly as a desktop now.

I tried:

Linux Mint debian: internet Connection problems, could not fix.
Linux Mint 12: confused is that all about...no right click why? This is suppose to be better? Says who? Hate having to learn something new because somneone tells me its better...really...its not to me.

Finally settled on Kubuntu...really runs cooler that MInt 11 and really quick and snappy on my pc. Love the look at it. Going to stick with it for a while. Hope Mint does KDE soon...might be the future
Stosskraft
Level 2
Level 2

Previous

Return to About Mint Editions