Install problems: Separate Disks/Partitions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
weedfreak

Install problems: Separate Disks/Partitions

Post by weedfreak »

I am trying to install Linux Mint Debian Edition.

Initially I had a problem bwcause the installer only allowed me to use one of my disks for the install, my current setup was spread over 3 disks with sdb set up as /home sda had a small / partition and a greater data storeage partition, sdc where data backups mounted under my home folder. As I could not link in my /home disk and the / disk at install I installed to sda with / system files and also monted the data partition the the idea that after install I could remove the /home link in / and edit fstab to mount the correct root folder, keeping the same user name etc. This worked as far as installing.

I rewrote fstab to add the second and third disks to the tree and renamed the existing /home just in case I needed any of the files created on install. On reboot I get error messages about not mounting /home or the other partitions under it and of course not having a home folder I cannot log in.

A live cd can mount all the partitions quite happily but I cannot find anyway to get them to mount at boot.

Anyone any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: Install problems: Separate Disks/Partitions

Post by Gerd50 »

Puhh, all the /// produces a gordian knot in my brain :) Why do you install with a /home partition? I never do it. Just swap
and /. I have one swap for three / and all my other data partitions on two drives are mounted via fstab UUID's.
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

Gerd50 wrote:Puhh, all the /// produces a gordian knot in my brain :) Why do you install with a /home partition? I never do it. Just swap
and /. I have one swap for three / and all my other data partitions on two drives are mounted via fstab UUID's.
Was that supposed to be a helpful reply?

I couldn´t give a flying rainbows how stupid you are or perhaps you have no data you need to keep between installs.

In any case I solved my problem by installing a real working distro, though I did need to spend 2 days sorting out all the rainbows that Mint made to my file system. Mint is on my list of recommend never to try distros and I wont be back again.

This post may appear to make no sense but that is due to some stupid filter removing lots of words that some lame brained people might call ´bad language´ most people call normal.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Ahhh it does a heart good I tell ya, this is what a gnu/Linux forum is all about. Bringing pc users everywhere closer together ... How about a group hug ? :D
rainbows, rainbows, rainbows ... I had to try the profanity filter for myself too, lol. Definitely looks like the f word is not welcome here. Dang it, we'll all need to come up with more creative ways to swear at each other ! D:

Though "rainbows you" is really much nicer, when ya stop and think about it. :D
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I asked about this very same thing almost two weeks ago, but nobody has bothered to reply as of yet: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=87320

The answer is that the LMDE installer is a worthless pile of crap. I ended up going with straight-up Debian instead, which I should've done a long time ago anyway. No more bastardized step-children for me, from here on out it's the real thing.

If any admin wants to delete my account, feel free. I won't be back again either.

Return to “LMDE Archive”