Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

The look of the Linux Mint 12 default Gnome Shell Session

1. LM12RC two panel desktop
24%
2. Old school single panel desktop
64%
3. Something else
12%

Total votes: 59

bimsebasse

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Post by bimsebasse »

Just this, but it's pretty clear: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE/wiki
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:Just this, but it's pretty clear: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE/wiki
Oh... I see.
What I also see is that we are going to have another windows-list extension update in the next few hours...
Prepare to re-apply your tweaks!
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

I would like a top panel, hope that it will be easy in LM 13 to switch from bottom (too Windows-like) to top (where the main items like menus, favorites, notifications etc. were in Gnome 2.x).

Rehdon
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Rehdon wrote:I would like a top panel, hope that it will be easy in LM 13 to switch from bottom (too Windows-like) to top (where the main items like menus, favorites, notifications etc. were in Gnome 2.x).

Rehdon
But you can have everything at top just disabling bottom-panel extension!
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I agree with the other posts that mint should have one bottom panel. If you look around the forums and through the blog comments, you will find the two panels a major complaint. I think that one panel would further help gnome shell with mgse look like gnome 2. Personally, I find the top panel to be a complete waste of space and to be inconvienient because different buttons are on the top and the bottom.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

cwwgateway wrote:I agree with the other posts that mint should have one bottom panel. If you look around the forums and through the blog comments, you will find the two panels a major complaint. I think that one panel would further help gnome shell with mgse look like gnome 2. Personally, I find the top panel to be a complete waste of space and to be inconvienient because different buttons are on the top and the bottom.
I believe Clem is working on that for mint 13 and will also be porting the original mint menu to mgse :D
For Mint 12 i am temporarily getting around the 2 panel situation by using the neat extension from the gnome 3 website that auto hides the top panel....it works great and restores the top space for me :wink:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

craig10x wrote: I believe Clem is working on that for mint 13 and will also be porting the original mint menu to mgse :D
For Mint 12 i am temporarily getting around the 2 panel situation by using the neat extension from the gnome 3 website that auto hides the top panel....it works great and restores the top space for me :wink:
I hope he will port the original mint menu, but as far as I have seen on the mgse wiki, they are going to improve the mgse menu, but I hope that that ends up like the "old" mint menu :D .
I am currently using the reflection extension, some other extensions/tweaks, and Esteban1uy's tweaks to get 1 panel with everything on it.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Hmm
Oliveber wrote:the two panel thing was probably a necessary evil given the short time in which the Mint team had to create a traditional desktop friendly shell.
Earlier in the thread:
bimsebasse wrote:It'll please the majority to know that a single bottom panel setup is in the works for Mint 13 - the two panel thing was probably a necessary evil given the short time in which the Mint team had to create a traditional desktop friendly shell.
Is this a new kind of trolling old people like me don't understand? *feels frightened and insecure and decides to vote for the tough-on-crime party next election*
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:Is this a new kind of trolling old people like me don't understand? *feels frightened and insecure and decides to vote for the tough-on-crime party next election*
Come on grandpa, don't be so grumpy. The boy was just saving some keystrokes. :lol:
akavir

Post by akavir »

I voted something else. I've been using Cairo-dock for about a year now, and it was such a nice surprise to see that in "Lisa" after the download there is an option for "Cairo-Dock w/Gnome w/effects." It works so well, and with no bars my full-screen applications use all the screen realty. This is the only option I may ever need.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Maybe time for a new poll:
MATE
Gnome Shell
Cinnamon
Dock
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yup, but it's not really up for debate anymore, it will certainly be Cinnamon. Gnome Shell will be an alternative login session, at best. Unless MATE suddenly explodes.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I'm betting on Cinnamon.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”