About DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas with KDE 4.7.3 and kernel 3.1.4

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exton

About DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas with KDE 4.7.3 and kernel 3.1.4

Post by exton »

NEWS 120205
DebEX-Mint 12 has been replaced by MeX Linux » version 120205 based on Linux Mint 12 with KDE 4.8 and Gnome 3.2

DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas Live DVD is a remaster of Linux Mint 12 - codenamed "Lisa" released on 26 November 2011. The original system includes the Desktop Environments Gnome 3.2, Gnome Classic (Gnome 2.32) and Mate (a fork of the venerable GNOME 2 Desktop Environment). In DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas Edition, I have installed KDE 4.7.3 (latest stable version), as an alternative, so that everyone on the spot (during live operation) can compare the different Desktop Environments. I have replaced the original kernel 3.0.0-12-generic (the same kernel as in Ubuntu 11.10) with "my" kernel 3.1.4-exton-xmas-custom. Kernel 3.1.4 is the latest available stable kernel, which can be downloaded from kernel.org. The system language is English.

Why has the kernel been replaced?
Latest Ubuntu (11:10) and Linux Mint 12 original uses kernel 3.0.0-12-generic. There has been added a lot of different kinds of hardware support etc. in the latest stable kernel 3.1.4. So if you have acquired new hardware, which is not supported in Ubuntu 11.10 and/or Linux systems based on Ubuntu 11.10 it might be worth testing DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas. There is, among other things, support for brand new USB devices, like printers and cameras, etc. Odd support: Wii (which is not supported in Ubuntu's latest kernel 3.0.0-12-generic).

Program content etc
Among many other programs LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, Wicd, Brasero, VLC, Gimp and win32 codecs. In addition, Java and all necessary additions in order to install programs from source. All programs have been updated to the latest available stable version as of 7 December 2011. See a complete list of all installed programs HERE.

DOWNLOAD
The ISO file (debex-mint-12-special-kde-gnome-1460mb-111207.iso) can be downloaded from the Swedish Linux Society's server.

DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas can also be downloaded from Sourceforge.net - Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory.

md5sum for DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas ISO which is of 1460 MB.

See below how it looks when you are on KDM's login page.

Note
If you for some reason doesn't like "my" kernel you can always uninstall it via Synaptic and replace it with the original Ubuntu kernel 3.0.0-12-generic.

Edit 111220
Wicd: I forgot to mention it before, but Wicd doesn't work so well in KDE, when you are running from a dvd. (Don't know why). Login to Gnome and use Network Manager to configure your wireless network. Works perfect.

Edit 111226
Modification of root's password (translation from the Swedish page re. DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas)
Anyone who install DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas to hard disk should immediately (for security reasons) manually change mint's and root's passwords. This, as you during installation will not be prompted for a new mint or root password. (Mint/Ubuntu-original uses no root password). The password for root is changed by running the command sudo passwd root. The corresponding command regarding the normal user mint is thus sudo passwd mint. If you are really careful (security minded) you can change the root password even while running the system live (from the disc).

READ MORE >> in English or Swedish

EDIT 120104
My new version (120104) of DebEX-Mint 12 Special live dvd is ready.

New features in version 120104 of DebEX-Mint 12
1. KDE has been updated to version 4.7.4
2. New kernel - 3.1.6-debex
3. Wicd is uninstalled. Instead, I made ​​Network Manager available in KDE
4. New links to the Ubiquity installer in KDE
5. I have installed SSH (on request)
6. Installed firmware for Broadcom wireless cards
7. Application Source for Spotify (Apt/Synaptic)
8. Certain appearance changes.

READ MORE
English
Swedish

Ten (10) other "exton distributions" you may like. All with English as System Langauage (locale). They can be downloaded from SourceForge.net - Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cariboo

Re: About DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas with KDE 4.7.3 and kernel 3.1.4

Post by Cariboo »

Hello exton,
I have problems to run LM12-64bit Live DVD on this hardware, although LM11 runs great:
Laptop HP Pavilion g6-1b67ca
Memory: 8 GB
Processor: 4 Core AMD A6-3400 APU
Graphics: AMD Radeon(TM) Discrete-Class Graphics
07.00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI Express) (rev 01)

With the original LM12.iso download, neither graphics nor WiFi work. To get the graphics running I have to boot in Compatibility Mode with nomodeset option. To get the Network controller going it was recommended to install a newer (3.xx) kernel. As I'm frustrated and tired to deal with this issues every time when I want to upgrade my system, I want to ask you if your version would run out of the box? Also I would like to know if it is possible to burn a Live DVD to test everything before HD installation?
Thanks
exton

Post by exton »

My remaster is 32bit.

Of course you can burn the ISO-file to a DVD and try it live. That's pretty much the whole idea. All "exton distributions" (33) are live systems.

You can also use UNetbootin and install DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas to a USB stick directly from the ISO-file. That can be done in Windows or Linux.

I'm confident you will find that everything works ok.

If you want to install my remaster to hard disk you should disconnect your web camera (if you have one) before starting the installation. Otherwise the installation will stop/stall when it comes to taking a login picture. I don't know why. I think the problem is the same in the original system.

About 64/32-bit
Normally you have no use for a 64bit-distribution. Sometimes there are disadvantages with 64bit: difficulties to find suitable drivers.

My Linux live systems in English - a complete list.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Thank you exton...I'll give it a try...keep you posted...
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

exton wrote:My remaster is 32bit

About 64/32-bit
Normally you have no use for a 64bit-distribution. Sometimes there are disadvantages with 64bit: difficulties to find suitable drivers.
Hi exton, in my previous post I forgot to ask:
When does one want to run the 64-bit version of a distribution?
There must be a reason for its existence!
exton

Post by exton »

Please read this post: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- ... linux.html

A good simple explanation. (I think).
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

Thank you, exton.

Chris
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Hi exton...thanks :D , I got the .iso and I read the article which makes lots of sense.
32bit is certainly fine for me too. Before I burn the DVD I'm just wondering if you provide a md5sum chech.
This is what I got as md5sum:
0ec1c15db30f47c6702919d3193bd3e7 debex-mint-12-special-kde-gnome-1460mb-111207.iso
exton

Post by exton »

The correct md5sum is: a30e400e22cfa658e7f441b09862de51

LINK
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

No luck....After the boot menu, the screen turns black and dead...
The new kernel (from mint and yours) just don't work...
Why? for heavens sake!
What is wrong with my hardware...It's a brand new Laptop!
BTW, LM11-64 runs great on this machine...oh, this is so frustrating!
I attached detailed information for the HP Pavilion g6.
exton

Post by exton »

Nothing "wrong" with your computer/hardware. DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas runs perfect on my computers with Radeon/ATI cards.

I suspect that your ISO-file isn't correct. Did you really check it with md5sum? (You had a wrong number before?).

Another possibility is that you didn't burn the ISO-file correct. You should use ImgBurn in Windows to be sure.

A third possibility is that you use bad disks.

No other possibilities.

"Black and dead" after boot menu: That's normal. You should just wait a while... Did you do that? For how long? It takes some time to autoconfigure everything. On one of my computers with 6 GB of RAM it takes about 4 minutes from the boot menu appears, until I'm in KDE 4.7.3. (Running from DVD that is). Once inside KDE all programs run very fast if you consider that DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas isn't a mini-Linux system...

The kernel 3.1.4-exton-xmas-custom: It is compiled by me exactly in the same way all Ubuntu-kernels are compiled. As far as I know Mint doesn't compile any kernels. All Mint distributions use Ubuntu-kernels.
redkey

Post by redkey »

I too get the black/blank screen after I select "Live" from the boot menu, I don't like looking at a black/blank screen, I am one of those that likes to know when progress is being made, so when I first see the black/blank screen(s) I hit the 'ESC' key to toggle into verbose mode, that way I can see the progress of the install or boot.

I have a problem, my 'LiveCD', boot takes me right into the KDE desktop, I see no KDE login page. I don't get the choice drop down menu to pick what flavor of desktop I would like to examine. During startup of the desktop and at shut down I will see a flash of red but if I were to blink I would miss it all together. Another problem is that for the damn of me I can not fine a 'install' script anywhere, generally Linux-Mint will have a desktop folder box at boot on the desktop with a 'install mint' script in the desktop folder box. I looked in system, settings, utilitys, well every where in the start menu but damn I can not find a way to install the DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas special. When I evaluate I like to install, that is when the actual bugs start to come crawling out of the wood wook. I'm just to lazy to use Dolphin to search the /root for the script.

One other thing, the normal KDE 'network manager' is not being used, you instead built in 'wicd' which my Hawking devices are not detected by 'wicd'. Yeah I know you included the windows driver installer, I just never have to do that with 'Linux-Mint' builds. When the creaters of 'Linux-Mint' says a KDE Desktop they mean a true KDE Desktop.

Good luck with your Xmas special build but, since Linux-Mint has semi promise a Linux-Mint KDE 12 (uBuntu) around Christmas-ish time I think I will just wait for that, I will even take a beta build.

A message to Linux-Mint creators, if you are thinking this up coming LM KDE ubuntu is to be the last, maybe you could make it a long term support build?

I tip my hat to all. Ladies get a wink.
exton

Post by exton »

Hi redkey,

ANSWERS
1. Black screen: Well, not so much to do about that. Right now.
2. Boots directly to the KDE 4.7.3 desktop: It's supposed to be that way. (It's normal in live Ubuntu-distributions). Just logout from KDE 4.7.3 and change to, Gnome 3.2, Gnome Classic (2.32) or Mate if you want. You can also login to every desktop environment from KDM as root (if you want to). The password is root. No password is needed for user mint.
3. Live Install program: Login as mint to Gnome and you will see a link to the Install program (Ubiquity) on the desktop. You can also (of course) start the Install program with the command sudo ubiquity in KDE 4.7.3. Don't forget to change passwords for mint and root after a harddisk installation. You will get no chance to do so during the installation. Also: Disconnect your web camera before you start the installation.
4. Wicd: I forgot to mention it, but Wicd doesn't work so well in KDE, when you are running from a dvd. (Don't know why). Login to Gnome and use Network Manager to configure your wireless network. Works perfect.

No real need for you to wait until Xmas. What do you think you will get? I'll tell you. You will get Linux Mint 12 with KDE 4.7.3 (or possibly KDE 4.7.4). The system will work in about the same way as DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas does. No wonder since DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas is a remaster of Mint 12. If the upcoming Mint KDE 12 works better than DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas it's due to the fact that some programs will be newer.
redkey

Post by redkey »

ah... dummy me, I never thought I would have to login into a desktop that I have no intentions of ever using in order to install KDE. I only downloaded the DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas with KDE .iso because for the key expression "KDE". I must admit right now that I did not look for a 'Readme' text file, if one exists then my apologies.

And most distros I've played with that have multiple desktops ask me which environment I wish to enter from a opening menu, they just did not steer me into an evironment then wish me luck in figuring it all out, (again, I did not look for a "Readme" text file).

Thank you for your bother to comment on my problem(s), perhaps I will get enthuse to try DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas with "KDE" again before Linux-Mint 12 KDE uBuntu-build is released. I've been wanting to escape the clutches of Microsoft for a long time, I am fairly new to Linux (22 months) and before Linux-Mint I was a big fan of Mandriva but, Mandriva started to become too commercialized, then I accidently found a multiple liveDVD disc torrent for Linux-Mint 5 Helena (I believe), this disc had the works, kde, gnome, and with a few uBuntu version, etc..., since then I've been with Linux-Mint KDE DE. All through my experiences with Linux-Mint I never had to do all of the things you say I need to do in order to get started with DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas w/KDE, sounds like a voodoo ritual.

I'm not poking fun at you, I am not a programmer to speak of, my stuff stays with me, I am too much of a coward to put my stuff out in the wild because I know I will hear all kinds of negative chatter.

I tip my hat to all. Ladies get a wink.
exton

Post by exton »

redkey,

Voodoo ritual: I really don't understand what you are talking about. All Ubuntu distributions work about the same way as DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas. When you start up original Linux Mint 12 from a DVD you end up in the Gnome 3.2 desktop as user mint. What's the difference?

"Install KDE": What do you mean by that?

When I say that you can try four (4) desktop environments in DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas is it so difficult to understand that you have to logout from KDE 4.7.3 in order to try another environment?

README file: In my first post in this thread I'm referring to a special site (in English) about DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas: http://debex.exton.net

What more can I do?
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Hi exton and thanks for taking time to look into my case!
exton wrote:Nothing "wrong" with your computer/hardware. DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas runs perfect on my computers with Radeon/ATI cards.
I suspect that your ISO-file isn't correct. Did you really check it with md5sum? (You had a wrong number before?).
Yes I had it wrong but I downloaded the file again and I did check md5sum and I got the same as it is in the Link you gave me.
exton wrote: Another possibility is that you didn't burn the ISO-file correct. You should use ImgBurn in Windows to be sure.
For burning the image I used "Brasero" which comes with LinuxMint. I use Linux (not Microsoft Windows) for nearly everything. No Wine installed yet.!
exton wrote: A third possibility is that you use bad disks.
I burned it to a DVD-R/W. I'll go through the whole procedure again and I'll use ImgBurn as you recommended but to be honest, I wonder why this would work better than "Brasero".
Keep you posted.
exton wrote: No other possibilities.
"Black and dead" after boot menu: That's normal. You should just wait a while... Did you do that? For how long?
I waited certainly more than 10 minutes!
exton

Post by exton »

Brasero is a good burning program. Almost as good as ImgBurn.

Possibly your problems is due to the fact that you have used a DVD-R/W. You mean a rewritable disk, right? You should never use those when burning ISOs. Burning ISOs is a delicate matter.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

exton wrote:Brasero is a good burning program. Almost as good as ImgBurn.
................. You mean a rewritable disk, right? You should never use those when burning ISOs. Burning ISOs is a delicate matter.
Yes, it was a rewrite-able DVD....So far all the Brasero burns worked well...
I got the md5sum:
a30e400e22cfa658e7f441b09862de51 ........... the same as you mentioned above!

EDIT one hour later:
No success...
Live disk now a DVD-R....
burned with ImgBurn on Widows7...
It looks like the screen is not only going blank/black but really turned OFF
The same Exton Live Disk runs on my Desktop with
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS880 [Radeon HD 4200]
(Also do the original Linux Mint 12-32/64 Live DVDs)
I could provide a kernel module list if I would know the relevant module names from the running LM11 version and if this would help :?: .
exton

Post by exton »

I'm sorry to hear that. Nothing to do then. Sometimes one just has to accept that a certain Linux system can't run on a certain computer. Maybe your new laptop is too "unusual" in some respect. It is clearly a kernel matter.

"My" kernel 3.1.4-exton-xmas-custom is just the original kernel 3.0.0-12-generic with additions for new hardware etc. Unfortunately obviously not enough for your computer.

You could run DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas on another computer and that's good.
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Thanks Exton for your time and Happy Holidays to you.... :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”